Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wayne zabel

Dry carpet cleaning
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:42:03 am »
Just had a call asking if i do Dry Carpet Cleaning as they cant have wet carpets in the house due to the husbands lung problems.

Told I can do it with Sebo powder but cant guarantee the standard of the outcome.She booked the job for saturday.

I havent used this system before and only got the powder when I bought my Sebo Duo,Any tips on using this stuff such as length of time to leave on carpet and coverage rates of the powder.

thanks

Wayne

Colin Day

Re: Dry carpet cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:56:27 am »
Shake and spread evenly, agitate, have a brew and vac. It is strong smelling to the point of being over powering, check your customer will be happy with that. I've only ever used it on 3 occasions and I was pleasantly surprised (as was the customers) at the results. It won't get all the stains out but the carpet will look and smell fresh....

I did a 3 bed bungalow with 2 packets of the stuff I got with my Sebo Duo.

All the instructions/coverage are on the pack I think...

Let us know how you get on... :)

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »
A light misting of MS, DFC or bonnet cleaner first and a quick run over with the machine prior to the compound may help if its heavily soiled.

I have also had good results using dry cleaning compound/sponges with Chemspec Heavy Duty Soil Lifter at 1:1 with water mixed in to boost them.

Sometimes you need a little moisture in the mix. Not always!

garry22

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »
Wayne,

As the others have said...

Get as many windows / doors open as possible.

I would try to have him out of the house when you do the job. The smell / odour / solvent will be strongest when you first open the packets.

Be careful with this one, it might come back to bite you.

wayne zabel

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »
The customer said they have had the carpets done often by this method but their last cleaner has now packed in or died,so they must know the score with regards to odours or are some powders odourless?

derek west

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »
i wouldn't bother wayne, if thats the way the carpet has always been cleaned then chances are your gonna make it look worse. dry cleaning is okay one or two times but eventually that crap builds up in the pile, you can never vac it all out. unless you got something like a flexi 5. all though i'm sure some on here will say different, i'm just going off what customers have told me when ive wet cleaned after they have had dry carpet cleaning for a while.

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »
I have told them that the standard of clean will not be that good and she was happy to proceed.Its only a small hallway that she wants doing so I might as well go and see it.

I know she says they dont want a damp carpet but Im sure any small spots could be treated with say Pureclean prior to dry cleaning.Would this be OK?

clinton

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:08 pm »
Maybe derek is right on this wayne and you could end up with a prob.

The client said they have had it done this way before too?

Helen

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »
The customer said they have had the carpets done often by this method but their last cleaner has now packed in or died,so they must know the score with regards to odours or are some powders odourless?
Never assume anything. Customers have a tendency to remember what they want to.
Agree with Derek, have customers now that have wet cleans when they used to have dry ones as dry clean really is only a temporary fix (sorry to those who live by it, only repeating what custies say to us :))

If it's only a hallway I really can't see the problem with a wet clean as you won't be pumping gallons in and in this weather it will dry quickly and even quicker with a mover/dryer

Colin Day

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:16:57 pm »
Sounds like they've maybe had bad history with a carpet cleaner in the past. I do get customers who say the last carpet cleaner left the carpets soaking wet which took 2 or 3 days to dry :o I would try to re-assure them that their carpets will only be damp for a few hours at most if they did decide to go with the HWE, maybe get the snail or WRD out to speed things up... :)

garry22

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:29 pm »
I've still got a couple of customers who insist on HOST (even with a navy blue carpet). With a pilelifter, it's not too bad.

I used to argue with people (customers) about methods in the past. I learned through experience that many just went off to someone who did it the way they wanted it done. Maybe sometimes, you have to let them have what they want?

JS2

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »
Wayne

There's a lot to be gained from giving it a really good vaccing at the start and drawing out as much dry dirt as possible.  This approach seems to work well ahead of an Envirodri dry clean.  Stain removal should be considered after the vaccing.  Pre-spray mist if needed, but keep it light.

Pete (JS2)

james roffey

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »
If i had problem with my lungs i would prefer a bit of Nemesis/M Power and clean water rinse to strong smelling powders any day ???

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 03:03:46 am »
Just out of interest, at what soil level would you decline a Dry Carpet Cleaning  job?
This is the element of the whole Dry / LM cleaning debate that troubles me the most and must trouble the people who only offer Dry / Lm as their only service, as surely there must be jobs that you just cannot do with those methods?

Simon

wayne zabel

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 08:56:40 am »
I did this job on Saturday,not good results if Im honest.The job was in a hallway so had a traffic lane right down the middle and the carpet was a Berber style so the powder couldnt really get deep into the pile.

I explained the pitfalls again to the client and asked if a wet clean was an option.She just wanted a dry clean and said she will have a wet clean done in a month when they are a away.

I could really do anything with the traffic area but I suspect even a wet clean wouldnt remove it totally as its probably wear to the fibres as well as soiling.

Anyway customer said she was happy and thanked me for my efforts.

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 09:10:46 am »
Just out of interest, at what soil level would you decline a Dry Carpet Cleaning  job?
This is the element of the whole Dry / LM cleaning debate that troubles me the most and must trouble the people who only offer Dry / Lm as their only service, as surely there must be jobs that you just cannot do with those methods?

Simon

to be honest Simon, I have not had a job that could not be LM cleaned yet, and have recently had a couple of real mingers to do, but with a CRB to agaitate the pre-spray, and then microfibre pad off, they have turned out great, the pre-spray was M Power with soluboost, and then a spray of HD over the top after 15 mins dwell then the agitation, but the carpet was cleaned to a very high standard, and the customer was over the moon.

fitz2kleen

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 09:57:07 am »
Just out of curiosity,
why didnt you suggest HSE and use turbo dryer [[ snail blower]] to speed up the drying process and suggest that the old fella is moved to another room while this is being done.
The outcome would probley be more suitable for his condition too.

Regards Marc

fitz2kleen

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 09:58:07 am »
oppps srry thats what happens when u dont read all threads :)

marc

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 03:40:54 am »
Hector,

Where do you get the microfibre pads you mentioned?
Do you have any video of your method?

Simon

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 07:37:44 am »
Simon
No video yet, but my method has been seen by a couple of people who frequent here, and they were quite amazed at the speed and efficiency of the LM system.

Pads are thsese ones from flea bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160432884318&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT