This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee GLS

booster pump float switch
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »
im going to get a booster pump for my 4040, and i have found the pump that i want, but it doesnt have a pressure switch, does anyone know any easy way, or some find of float switch that will cut the pump off once my tank is full?

taylored

Re: booster pump float switch
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:59:08 pm »
i could do with 1  ??? can anyone help

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:42 pm »
im going to get a booster pump for my 4040, and i have found the pump that i want, but it doesnt have a pressure switch, does anyone know any easy way, or some find of float switch that will cut the pump off once my tank is full?

This may do what you want:

http://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/acatalog/Water_transfer.html

Lee GLS

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »
thanks alex, that looks the business   ;D ;D

Spruce

Re: booster pump float switch New
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:23 pm »

I have this controlling my solenoid valve. It is rated at 8 amp at 230v so should be well able to carry the current of a booster pump.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/float-switch-230v-2m-cable

Machine Mart have a technical helpline, and they will answer any questions about it you may have.

This works well for me as the water level in my IBC tank has to be just above half before the float switch kicks in, so the RO is working for a reasonable time, rather than 'stop start'

I mounted this in the top of the tank with some plastic conduit tubing about 12" long down into the water. This allows the float switch to be held in postion to operate. System hasn't given me any problems since installed 3 years ago.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Lee GLS

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 05:29:40 pm »
hi spruce, thanks for the link, does you switch start the when the water level falls below a certain level, or does it stop the flow when it reaches a certain level?

I thought those switches were for transfer pumps to cut them off when the level goes down, i need one that will stop the pump when it gets high enough, im not sure if or how these switches do that?

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:44:50 pm »
hi spruce, thanks for the link, does you switch start the when the water level falls below a certain level, or does it stop the flow when it reaches a certain level?

I thought those switches were for transfer pumps to cut them off when the level goes down, i need one that will stop the pump when it gets high enough, im not sure if or how these switches do that?

It has 3 cables so can be wired the other way round as well, so the third wire is redundant.

The solenoid valve on the water supply into my RO is "normally off". The float switch is then wired up so it works the opposite way it does with a submersible pump. So if you use the same setup it will be able to switch off the water supply and the booster pump at the same time when the tank is full. It will switch it back on again once your tank is about half full if it's like mine.

Lee GLS

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »
Ok, I get what you are saying, I'm being a bit thick, I had an early start  ::) but how does it tell when the tank is full? Because these switches work on the being vertical or horizontal, sorry for being a thiko today.

Spruce

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »
A submersible pump sits on the bottom of the tank. When the tank is full, the float switch tries to float to the top of the water, but is restrained by the length of cable securing it. When the float switch is in the vertical position the switch inside the float will be 'closed' so the pump will be automatically switched on. As the water empties in the tank the float switch starts to lie on it's side which breaks the circuit and switches the pump off. A sub pump is designed to be left to work automatically. Us window cleaners plug the submersible pump into a socket and manually control the sub pump, switching is off when our van tank is full.

This float switch can be wired up so the switch will switch off when the float becomes vertical and will switch on when the float becomes horizontal. So you can wire it up so it will switch on the solenoid valve (mains water now begins to flow) and the booster pump at the same time when the water level in the IBC tank is just over half full and will switch water and pump off when the water level in the tank is full.

Spruce

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 06:26:10 pm »
Lee
I have just opened my junction box that the float switch is connected to. On my switch I have 3 cables, blue, brown and black. For the switch to work for my setup the black wire is redundant.
If I was wiring it the same switch up for a submersible pump, the black wire would be used and one of the other 2, either the blue or brown would become redundant.
If I remember correctly there was a circuit diagram supplied with the switch that showed which wires to use for which application.

Lee GLS

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:40:07 pm »
That make sense to me now, so I would just need a way of getting the switch suspended in the tank so that when the water starts to come in contact with it, it wil then lay it flat and cut the power to the booster pump, thanks for bearing with me there spruce, great explanation  ;D

Spruce

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 07:08:32 pm »
Lee
When the float switch becomes horizontal it will switch on.

I went into B&Q and got a length of 20mm conduit and a cable gland that has two locknuts.
It looked similar to this;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip68-nylon-gland-white-20mm-pack-of-10/17058

and a length of conduit could be pushed in the other end. I started of with a length of just over 1 foot and its positioned on the highest point of the IBC tank in the middle so the float valve can't stick anywhere. You will need to play around with the length of the wire but when you tighten the gland it will be held in position. I heated the end of the conduit that the cable will pivot round and moulded it so the edge wasn't so 'sharp'.

You don't have to use conduit, you could use a length of stainless steel threaded rod with a loop on the end. All you need is something that will hold the cable under the water level with a cable tie to act as a pivot.

Spruce

Lee GLS

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 08:08:06 pm »
thanks for your help spruce, this is the route i will be tanking.

Lee

CRYSTAL1984

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:37:17 pm »
see email Lee I can help you

Lee GLS

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:39:53 pm »
got the email craig, will give you a call.

thanks

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »

I have this controlling my solenoid valve. If I remember rightly, it is rated at 10amp at 230v so should be well able to carry the current of a booster pump.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/float-switch-230v-2m-cable

Machine Mart have a technical helpline, and they will answer any questions about it you may have.

This works well for me as the water level in my IBC tank has to be just above half before the float switch kicks in, so the RO is working for a reasonable time, rather than 'stop start'

I mounted this in the top of the tank with some plastic conduit tubing about 12" long down into the water. This allows the float switch to be held in postion to operate. System hasn't given me any problems since installed 3 years ago.

Spruce

Hi have just been advised by the Technical Dept of Machine Mart that their float switch is rated at 8 amps, so well within the capabilities of powering both a booster pump and solenoid valve at the same time.
Spruce

Lee GLS

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
Thanks  spruce, thats great.  :)