Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Lee GLS

Old sash's
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
Been wfping for 6 months now and I feel I'm pretty clued up with regards to potentioal problem widows, but I'm having trouble with getting small runs and spotting on the top edge of the bother half of sash windows.

Ive tried different brushes, fan jets and pencils, and rinsing on and off but still get some problems.

Any suggestions?

♠Winp®oClean♠

Re: Old sash's
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
Been wfping for 6 months now and I feel I'm pretty clued up with regards to potentioal problem widows, but I'm having trouble with getting small runs and spotting on the top edge of the bother half of sash windows.

Ive tried different brushes, fan jets and pencils, and rinsing on and off but still get some problems.

Any suggestions?

It's quite a common problem Lee with such windows.

All the crap gathers up there & can be difficult to flush out.

I know you've already got a good selection of brushes & what I do is concentrate on that part of the window much more. Scrubbing left to right many times, over doing it.

I also find that due to the narrow style of the Xtreme brush you can get right up in to it & the jets are placed higher for the same reason too, getting a higher, more accurate rinse.

H S and Son

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
The first clean you can adjust the angle of your brush head and go along the botom of the upper sash, getting all those cobwebs and old fairy out. Problem with old sashes though is sometimes they leak. If that's the case I make sure the brush head is wet but water isn't flowing. That then gets rinsed when you clean the top sash.

You can also just do the top sash and allow this to run off and then go back and fo the bottom one. Sashes can be awkward but not always, they're like vents just halfway down. Once sorted they don't generally pose a problem.

Tom White

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:29 pm »

Any suggestions?

Just clean them the best you can and don't check 'em afterwards.

The only alternatives would be to hand bash or drop the account (neither of which are viable options for me); so you may as well just give the windows a best effort.

I do a fair few of these, and I never get complaints, though I doubt they come up perfect.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:29:29 am »
You will have problem windows , it anoys us all i just make sure i rinse as much as i can

Lee GLS

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:10:58 am »
Thanks for the help chaps.

Tosh, the trouble is the one of the houses is a large one and they dropped their previous WC because of this same problem as they were WFP, I have been doing it 2 years trad, and now I've changed to wfp the windows arnt coming up to the standard of tradding them.

She appreciates that I anything to solve the problem so hopefuly she wint drop me.

A bit more scrubbing and rinsing is in order by the looks of it

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:56:56 am »
clean the top ones as normal then when you get to the bottom ones make sure you scrub and rinse more at the top.be careful to not splash the top frame on your final rinse.

i had the same problem a couple of times but after 4 or 5 cleans  they come up great!! ;) ;D ;D

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Lee GLS

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »
Thanks daz, that is the was I will tackle them now.

VSP Home Care

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »
Lee, what's the condition of the window frames?  Is the water coming down from where the two frames over lap? Or Is it a problem with the finish, putty paint etc.

Re- reading your post I see what your on about.  As has already been said, regarding ming in that gap then a good scrub is the only option with the water off I think, unless you can get up there to clean it out trad, or gutter vac it  ;D  Thing is, I'd say depending on the condition of the frames you'd want to be careful not to damage the seal and paint if it's already in a poor state.

You're always going to get water held in there for a while, I wondered if poor putty and paint around the top of the top frame might also cause the same problems.  UPVC and ALI being so smooth in comparison.

Lee GLS

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »
VSP

the frames are in good condition, they are old frames but they have been painted in the last couple of years.  i dont think the water gets between the 2 (upper and lower frame) becasue there is a reasonably big step between the 2, i think it couple be like you said, water geting between the putty and glass bringing down dirt, i will try rinsing, rinsing and rinsing again next time and see what happens.

VSP Home Care

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »
Well just a guess like but if the surrounds are good I think it must be holding between the two.  There's a fair bit of draft proofing between the two frames for obvious reasons and that's likely to be the "brush" sort (can't think what it's called  ;D) as the two frames need to be as draft tight as possible but still be able to move easily.

One option might be to hammer that spot on the first clean but try your best to get as close to it as possible during maintenance cleans but not quite  ;D  The water run off from the top frame should drip clear of the lower frame.

My mate round the corner has box sash's so I'll have a play on his when I'm up and running.  That reminds me, I have to quote those for a re-paint first as the're munting  ;D