Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

WFP?has it made work cheaper??
« on: March 18, 2011, 07:39:53 am »
judging by some of the prices for a property on another thread.has it made certain types of work cheaper?when i first started wfp i thought id price work as i did when i was trad.eg how long id think it would take me to clean but wfp obliterates trad time wise especially the bigger the account.

so do you think its making work at good prices harder to get?or is it a mixture of the explosion in wfp and the tough economic times?

before i went wfp i priced up a commercial at £60 which used to take nearly 2 hours to clean.with wfp it takes me an hour!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

but if i was pricing it up now?mmmm...im not so sure!!some of you went straight to wfp so dont price up as if you were using the ladders.

id like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Londoner

Re: WFP?has it made work cheaper??
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:02 am »
Probably 30% of my round now are houses that I never would have touched when I was trad. Its swings and roundabouts.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:49:47 am »
judging by some of the prices for a property on another thread.has it made certain types of work cheaper?when i first started wfp i thought id price work as i did when i was trad.eg how long id think it would take me to clean but wfp obliterates trad time wise especially the bigger the account.

so do you think its making work at good prices harder to get?or is it a mixture of the explosion in wfp and the tough economic times?

before i went wfp i priced up a commercial at £60 which used to take nearly 2 hours to clean.with wfp it takes me an hour!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

but if i was pricing it up now?mmmm...im not so sure!!some of you went straight to wfp so dont price up as if you were using the ladders.

id like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

regards

dazmond

On the standard domestic market, I feel it has made little difference - if any (apart from maybe houses with a lot of small or leaded panes).  Perhaps there is more price stress on much larger domestic properties but that can usually be overcome by lower cleaning frequencies.  With more standard properties,it seems to be clearer that any shorter work time is offset by increased running costs.  Also, it takes as long to set up for one house as it does 3 or 4 if the work is compact.
However, as you say, I feel it has made a difference with the larger jobs - particularly commercial.  This is very noticeable for work that can now be done by pole but used to need a cherry picker.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:58:01 am »
Good thread Dazmond - thought provoking !

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

H S and Son

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 07:59:33 am »
In some instances yes, mostly no IME though.

Saying that, this is a prime example of how some jobs might be cheaper. I priced up a large rural domestic last week. Trad it would have been something along the lines of £200.

WFP my price was £90. Id have been foolish to ask £200 for it WFP as 1 I wouldn't have got it (I was in 'competition' with another crowd) and 2 it took a reasonably short period of time to do, I can't see many custards sticking with an hourly rate of that nature for too long on a job that size.

Dave Willis

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:01:14 am »
Have you all forgotten the running costs of wfp? Thousands more in most cases.?
Why should wfp be any cheaper than trad? It's quicker granted but if you are a business of any size it's far more costly. Most of us need a van, pl insurance, ro unit, carbon poles etc etc.
Trad can be - family car, ladder, bucket and squeegie.

H S and Son

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:02:53 am »
You imply you cant earn more WFP?

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:06:51 am »
No I'm saying we shouldn't devalue wfp just because it's quicker.

H S and Son

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:15 am »
Whose devaluing it?

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:08:42 am »
I misjudged a stand alone domestic(fairly big with 2 second floor windows)a few years ago(£20).it used to take me an hour trad from pulling up and driving away.it now takes 25 mins!!shes booked in at 9am today.(access to back through large double garage!)so well worth doing now when i nearly dropped it a few years ago! ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:13:42 am »
But if you do the maths how much more in real terms are you earning?
My expenses for the year exceed £5000 easily.
Trad would only be the cost of fuel.

WFP has to be quicker just to pay the business costs, if you don't earn more then there's not much point in using it apart from H&S. issues.

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:17:23 am »
another commercial im cleaning this morning used to take me nearly 2 hours as well for £52.(underpriced)but now its just over an hour with the pole! ;D ;D ;Dso its fairly well priced now!
 ;) ;D
lots of other instances as well!!but new work knowing its going to take half the time with the pole?..............im sure we all price cheaper than if we were tradding it.

dazmond

H S and Son

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:29:19 am »
But if you do the maths how much more in real terms are you earning?
My expenses for the year exceed £5000 easily.
Trad would only be the cost of fuel.

WFP has to be quicker just to pay the business costs, if you don't earn more then there's not much point in using it apart from H&S. issues.

My costs have increased, of course they have. My annual costs are in line with yours. But if you think that hte only cost tradding was fuel then you havent looked hard enough.

I doubled my income overnight going from trad to WFP, which more than paid for any additional business expenses.

The way I look at it and using my example above is a good one. I f I had traded that property Id have done £160, it would have taken at least a day, Id have been knackered completely the next day (it was leaded) and therefore the next day my income would have suffered.

Doing it WFP I earnt a top-notch hourly rate, over and above my intended rate, after and hour and a half I was then able to go on and exceed my daily target and the next day was able to get up and do it all over again.

You WILL lose otherwise lucrative work if you continue to price some work at trad rates. Its biting your nose off to spite your face and bad business sense.

Lee GLS

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03:16 am »
I get that wfp is more expensive to run than trad, but surly that is only the set up cost?

5k a year because of wfp? £400 a month, what are you doing to spend £400 a month because you are wfp?

I know we need resin, and filters, maybe a new brush, or even a pole, but everything else should last a few years?

Or am i missing somthing?

H S and Son

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 09:04:32 am »
Well, what I meant was my total operating costs, not just WFP actually, so you have a point.

Londoner

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 01:16:12 pm »
Its as simple as this, basic supply and demand. You put in a price, its either accepted or its not. But if you can or are prepared to do it for less then you may decide to do it for less. For what ever reason, to make sure you get the job, to try to ensure you keep the job or to keep the competition at bay. Or simply because if you can do it in half the time its still a good job at £xx

Its a three way dynamic between you the customer and the competition.

You could price every three bed semi at £100. You wouldn't get many but statistically you should get some. The probability is low but not zero

Mike_G

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »
You would of thought it would be cheaper as it does not take as long to clean the windows anymore, but I guess overheads are more, so perhaps the same charge is about right. I still price up the smaller jobs the same because by time I set up, for me wfp is not much quicker (if at all) than trad but obviously on the bigger jobs it is loads quicker.

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:33 pm »
how much of that 5 grand a year is spent on wfp after initial set up costs have  been paid?i for one have certainly not doubled my income just because ive got the pole but its still early days relatively(10 months).im still earning more in less time though plus ive picked up a fair bit as well.

say i spend £800 a year on wfp.still well worth it IMO!

2 BAGS OF RESIN   £160

new pole/brush     £400

spares(hose,bits and bobs)£240

all my work is within an 8 mile area so wfp doesnt really impact on fuel costs.i need a van or estate car whether im trad or wfp.the above amount is with buying an SLX every year! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave Willis

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:29:02 pm »
There are many costs that bump up wfp. Generally you'll need a van to haul the extra weight whereas mr mondeo man is using the family car. Often the van isn't much good for family use so then you'll need a second family vehicle. Straight away your fuel usage has increased especially if using a larger van, your insurance now doubles (two vehicles), your service and mot costs now double as does your vehicle tax. Your water costs increase dramatically if on a meter.
You'll need money put aside for your next van or money to pay your loan. I change poles around once a year (don't have to but I do).
The costs of wfp can be huge compared  to trad.
Just because you are quicker doesn't mean you should be cheaper.

Dazmond, no offence mate but when you've been running your wfp business for your first year or more then look at your costs you will be shocked - guaranteed.

Dave Willis

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:36:27 pm »
Having said all that I also believe that wfp is responsible for knocking the commercial market to such low prices.