This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Johnny B

Hernia Op
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »
Have any of you guys here had a hernia operation?

I am having mine done tomorrow, and am wondering how much time I can expect to take off work.

Anyone care to share your experiences?

Thanks,
John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jaespray

Re: Hernia Op
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »
hi john    recovery time depends on you   how long were you hiding it before you went for help  how bad is it    where is it   loads of factors come into it  just remember you are not the first they have ever done    to recover well do only what they tell you   and listen to your own body   they can do wonders with a bit of fiberglass
very good luck
regards john

Johnny B

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:20:18 am »
Hi,

It's in the groin area. I first noticed it about two years ago, but it hadn't really given me any real pain until about seven weeks ago, when I had a severe pain in my stomach, which I attributed to the hernia. It was then that I went to my doctor, who referred me to a treatment centre to get it sorted.

I am in pretty good physical nick for my age (48). Although I don't go to a gym, I don't abuse my body.

Having the surgery isn't something I have a problem with. It's just that I want to get back to work as soon as I am fit enough, which hopefully will not be too long!

Thanks for the encouragement.

John.
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jaespray

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:20 am »
hi john   to you and others that may read this   the longer its left the tear hole starts to heal its self as a hole    making it harder to heal over  if this makes sense
i had a stomach one done over 50 years ago    when i was 2      today the scar is 10inchs long and looks like a lenght of barbed wire   dne at a village hos   by local doc   i think he must of cut me with a broken beer glass   when they brought in the seat belt law it used to hurt like hell for a few years       
if i have skinfull now it still hurts   i am shure they have improved since those days
regards john

Johnny B

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:05:02 am »
Hi John.

Wow, I am sorry to hear what happened to you, and particularly that you are still suffering from it.

I will definitely listen to whatever advice I will be given about recovery times, as well as the do's and dont's.

I was hoping to get back to work within a couple of weeks, but now I am not so sure!

As I said, I haven't experienced any real pain apart from the stomach cramp on the one occasion (solved by taking laxatives). Now and again there is a dull ache, and I can sometimes feel the intestine pushing through the abdominal wall when I am lifting heavier things (like my big ladders).

I was surprised how quickly I was referred and booked in for the op (less than two months from first telling my doctor to having the op) so maybe it is bigger than I first envisaged.

Only a few more hours to go and I will be going in! Thanks again John for sharing your experience with me.

Kind regards,
John.

britishwill

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:13 am »
My mate had one done and although he looked fine after the op he got tired very quickly. When he overdid it a bit he regretted it. I think he had just over 2 weeks off work but he has a desk job not like us.
I am currently recovering from a DVT and have given myself 2 weeks off, I hope it is enough and although I also get tired quickly due to the medication I know if I over do it the reprocussions will mean I have to take even longer off work!
Take it easy and try and enjoy the time you have off work. Cos sometimes I bet you wish you could have a day off to chill!

Proclean ne

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:42:51 am »
Had 2 Hernia ops both in groin had 1st  op 2 years ago then other last year.I felt healed quicker 1st one was off week then back working 2nd one 6 weeks off and felt painful for quite a bit .You just need plenty of rest something I struggled as I cannot keep still.Good Luck with recovery.

Smudgeoff Cleaning Services

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:31:16 pm »
I had one about 8 months ago key hole and it didn't go down well as it hurt like fxxx.
A mate of mine had his about the same time and he is completely fine but mine still has the odd twinge.

Daz
" To Get It All Off Call Smudgeoff"

Johnny B

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »
I am back home from having the op!

I arrived at the clinic at 7:30, was on the table by 8:45, and was in the recovery room by 10:30. Back home with a Maccy D by 12:15!

I feel great!   

Britishwill, Hope you are up and running soon, so to speak. Like yourself, I will be taking two to three weeks off as prescribed by the surgeon, but will be keeping as reasonable active as I can without overdoing things.

I wonder if your mate in the office was used to doing physical things which slowed his recovery. Or maybe the whole thing hasn't hit me yet! Anyways, take care.

Proclean, Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Darren Bradley, Sorry to hear how it affected you. Have you been back to find out if there is anything they can do to alleviate your pain? I was given some literature on what can happen sometimes, as there is a small risk of complications (mainly minor thankfully).   

Best wishes to you all,
John. 

brianbarber

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:54:23 pm »
Glad all well jonny b.
Did you have local anaethestic?

MrB
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

Johnny B

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 10:59:30 pm »
Hi Mr B,

No I had a general. I'm glad I didn't have the opportunity to watch!

John.

cottonbud10

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:09 pm »
had mine done some 4 years ago,was off work 6 weeks,looked a mess down there,about 12 big stapels running down my groin,,grrrrr, also the nerve endings take quite a while to get back to normal maybe a few years, when you touch that area it feels tingley and strange ,  however a friend of mine had his done and he was  fine and working within 2 weeks ,i believe he had less intursive surgery done, possible keyhole,,

John drake

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »
Didnt Matt ( who used to post here, now on the cleaning forums ) have a Hernia op a while ago, he was of work for a while.

Where has my post gone ?
drake_john@rocketmail.com

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 11:02:37 pm »
Glad it went well Johnny B.

Just a Q? What causes them?
It's a game of three halves!

Justen Uff

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »
Straining your farts in the bath don't help

jaespray

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:16 pm »
any thing at any time coughing - snezzing -twisting -turning -blowing your nose -mainly lifting badly   dont strain    only lift from&with knees together and try to breath out slightly when lifting  to keep your internal pressures balanced     even if you think you have one see a doc    or else the only person you are kidding is your self     glad it went well john
regards john

Johnny B

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 08:53:46 am »
I don't have a clue as to how I got mine. I first noticed it about two years ago, but until about two months ago it never gave me any pain, and then only the once, which forced me to visit my doc. It occasionally ached a little when my tool belt bore down on it while working, but that was all.

I work trad, do everything painfully (no pun intended) slowly and don't exert myself physically, so I can't pinpoint when it happened. Perhaps I did it getting out of bed!

Many thanks for your encouraging words guys.

John.