Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Chapman

what % have their carpets cleaned ?
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »
Hi All,

looking for some statistics on what percentage of people have their carpets cleaned in the UK ?

Need it for a talk im giving soon, sure ive seen it on here at some stage,  I know stats arent always reliable but would like to come up with an approx figure to lend some weight to what i have to say.

Cheers
steve

jasonl

Re: what % have their carpets cleaned ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
Looking at an old Chemdry newsletter , 20%  , and carpets are 47th on uk priority for house hold with regards to spending, this was from 2001 though
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Steve Chapman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 12:53:17 pm »
Thanks Jason, thats a good start for me  :)

I was thinking it was even less than that, but sounds realistic.

Regards

Steve

clinton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:16:49 pm »
maybe jason is right  around that mark with that total,i thought it was a bit less maybe..

Simon Gerrard

jasonl

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »
The source quoted was Neilsen research , a very reputable agency.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

garyj

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:01:45 pm »
I've often thought of putting something like this on my leaflets and website but haven't because straight away you're saying that by having your carpets cleaned you're in a minority, not a good start to any sales pitch!

I've always stuck with " How Clean is Your Home", "Had You Had Your Carpets Cleaned Recently" or "How Clean is Your Home Environment", then list the reasons you should get them cleaned.

I would be more positive and say that more and more people are getting their carpets cleaned as the health benefits and lifespan of the carpet become apparent. That way you're target audience is thinking " I haven't had my carpets cleaned, how dirty am I" instead of "Well, no one else bothers, why should I"

Does that make sense?

Paul Evans

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:24:05 pm »
Perfect sense Garry

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »
Seems like 20% it is then  :D

I wouldn't normally mention this type of thing as it does sound a tad negative, but my presentation is geared towards other business owners so it will make a valid point ,
Thanks all
Steve

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
Looking at an old Chemdry newsletter , 20%  , and carpets are 47th on uk priority for house hold with regards to spending, this was from 2001 though

I would say it's less, but then over what period are we talking - once a year, every 2 years, every 5 years.
I live on an estate with about 200 properties on it, I've lived here 11 years and in all that time I've done about 3 of them. The only other CCer I have seen here was a CD and he was here on the back of an insurance claim.
The estate covers all types of properties from 4 bed detached to studio flats, private and rental.
And yes I do leaflet drop here too.
Maybe we're just a dirty bunch but 20% doesn't seem to fit this area. Jeez I wish.

garyj

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:47 pm »
If Enterprise have taught us anything its that people do want and need their carpets cleaned but only want to spend £8.99. Strange as the same people will spend 300 quid on a crap Dyson vacuum.

garyfindlay

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »
I thought it was around 13%.
Not enougfh in my opinion, smelly barstewards. ;D

benny d

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:34 pm »
I was told 14% by the one and only Sir Paul Pearce a few years ago.

Then Robert Saunders told me 98% of people have their carpets and upholstery cleaned every year, so I gave him all my money for equipment. I think I must have mis heard, d'oh!. It's more like 9.8%  >:(
 ;D
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

derek west

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »
i think its about time we started exaggerating, lets say 65% of the uk get there carpets cleaned, making the 35% who don't,  feel like dirty smelly barstewards.

garyj

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:16 pm »
i think its about time we started exaggerating, lets say 65% of the uk get there carpets cleaned, making the 35% who don't,  feel like dirty smelly barstewards.

Yep, bang on  :).

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:37:27 pm »

You might be onto something there as wording for leaflets etc
You're quite clever really ;D

hotsteam

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:45 pm »
If Britain has a population of over 56 Million and 20% have their carpets cleaned thats 11.2 million to be cleaned by how many carpet cleaners ? Regards Hotsteam

jasonl

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
If Britain has a population of over 56 Million and 20% have their carpets cleaned thats 11.2 million to be cleaned by how many carpet cleaners ? Regards Hotsteam

There are not 56 million homes , since the time of the survey the% of homes with carpet has gone down without doubt.   The people who have left carpet will generally be the sort who take care of thier property , and the types who would have had carpets cleaned.

I think the future will be in commercial , and EOT cleaning , plus hard floor.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »
There are far more houses than last year and the year before that etc, I'd say that even with a happy mix of carpets and hard floors that the amount of people coming into cleaning will out weigh the amount of carpets to be cleaned per head but IMO people are having their carpets cleaned more regularly ATM we've never had it so good in 10 years time then we could be at saturation.

Shaun

Simon Moat

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 10:17:41 pm »
Way less than 10%, however these people appreciate a quality service and pay accordingly.