Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

from edge2edge

Carpet Mites
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:50:32 pm »
Just had a call from a guy who has 2 bedroom carpets which seem to be being eaten away by some kind of mites/bugs has anyone come across this and how did they solve this problem for the customers.Any advice appreciated as always guys/gals   Regards Alan Turner(swindon)

Steve. Taylor

Re: Carpet Mites
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:29:04 pm »
Alan this sounds like carpet beetles sprays are available but make sure there are no fish tanks in the house or you could kill them as well might be worth speaking to restormate john will be clued up on this

Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

Steve. Taylor

from edge2edge

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 05:40:35 pm »
Thanks for that Steve I note on the information that the insecticide should be left on the carpet for 10 - 14 days to kill the eggs  etc  so i assume cleaning the carpet afterwards is a no no.Regards Alan

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »
It could be carpet Moth.
They look like "fluffy" grains of rice, this is the cocoon where the lavea live.
Vacuum carpet intensely in the affected area, uplift carpet and vacuum all around skirting boards.
Spray underlay, skirtings and back of carpet, around 18"- 24" in. Re-lay carpet and vac once more then spray affected area.
It could take upto 28 days for the eggs to be killed, may need to be re applied after the initial 14day's.

Hope this help's

Regards

Daryl

from edge2edge

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »
Thanks for that Daryl I think i will ring John Kelly and see if its just  easier getting him to send some insecticide to the client to apply as per his(or yours if they are the type you describe)instructions as the client is quite far from me and i would need to charge a fair wack just to make it worth my while going so would prefer him to apply the spray himself.Regards Alan

Jim_77

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:54:22 pm »
Ermmmmmm, you can't kill insect eggs ;)  or pupae for that matter.  Both have a hard shell that is impermeable by insecticides.

Insecticide kills adults and larvae

I use Nylar, which is a growth inhibitor.  After thorough vac/clean, all likely areas are sprayed (as detailed above).  This means that any larvae hatching from eggs come into contact with it and are stopped from reaching the next stage of the life cycle.

It's virtually impossible to remove eggs by cleaning, either vac or extraction, so this is the best way of dealing with the problem.

Works on beetles and moths just the same.