Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

peter maybury

Re: Add ons or not?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:29 pm »
As a carpet fitter and retailer myself I know what a bunch of arrogant idiots the majority of carpet fitters are. Although cables should not be fitted under carpets it is a practice that is carried out. The safest way to do this with any cable that caries any charge is in between two grippers. Anybody can find an easier or quicker way of doing it, this is not modern practice but corner cuttting. Damage to cable is not possible to see from the outside they are like wheel bearings all the damage is internal caused by the internal friction of the wire rubbing together it is onlyposible to stop this compression by making a solid channel with the gripper.
I am all for anybody becoming a competent fitter and offering the service described but again from 20 years of experience the money is in the cleaning. The people that have the damage, badly fitted carpets, fAg burns, badly fitted doorbars etc etc, always ternd to be the lower end jobs where the price for your time become unrealistic. People at the quality end normally have good quality well fitted products. I will go for long periodswithouot even touching my fitting tools. Carpet fitters at present are 2 a penny the flooring market has gone through a bad few years so I would not reccomend anybody go into fitting to compete with the many that are scratching for work. We get several c.v. s sent to us all the time.  It is the same as a lot of things once you have invested in the training and the tools you would have probably been better investing that into taking your core business forward.

Peter

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
As a carpet fitter and retailer myself I know what a bunch of arrogant idiots the majority of carpet fitters are. Although cables should not be fitted under carpets it is a practice that is carried out. The safest way to do this with any cable that caries any charge is in between two grippers. Anybody can find an easier or quicker way of doing it, this is not modern practice but corner cuttting. Damage to cable is not possible to see from the outside they are like wheel bearings all the damage is internal caused by the internal friction of the wire rubbing together it is onlyposible to stop this compression by making a solid channel with the gripper.
I am all for anybody becoming a competent fitter and offering the service described but again from 20 years of experience the money is in the cleaning. The people that have the damage, badly fitted carpets, f*g burns, badly fitted doorbars etc etc, always ternd to be the lower end jobs where the price for your time become unrealistic. People at the quality end normally have good quality well fitted products. I will go for long periodswithouot even touching my fitting tools. Carpet fitters at present are 2 a penny the flooring market has gone through a bad few years so I would not reccomend anybody go into fitting to compete with the many that are scratching for work. We get several c.v. s sent to us all the time.  It is the same as a lot of things once you have invested in the training and the tools you would have probably been better investing that into taking your core business forward.

Peter

Absolute RUBBISH

jasonl

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 09:58:27 pm »
All I want to know is ... Where is my mate simon  ooops I mean Derek cts
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 10:02:21 pm »
Jay... Got a bit of carpet that needs fitting and afew fAg burns that need cutting out. When can you do it?

jasonl

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 10:06:15 pm »
I am not qualified I am afraid , no customer trusts me , as my credentials are not listed after my name .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

The Carpet Cleaning Pro

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
I am not qualified I am afraid , no customer trusts me , as my credentials are not listed after my name .
Its alright its only an old bit of carpet anyway - can I borrow your stanley knife please and have you got a licence for it ?

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:29 am »

Exactly how I do it Peter and certainly the safest way and best practice. If the modern method is to cut the underlay back and tape over the cable, then I am happy to be called a dinosaur.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 09:44:04 am »
I hope you all feel ashamed of yourselves!

you scared the poor bloke off and he was only trying to be helpful :D :D

if he was genuine then he needs to understand how these forums work, and get a bit thicker skin,
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

peter maybury

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 08:09:22 pm »
I feel that the way he answered  Steve Barnett was out of order. The biggest problem I have with my business is subcontracting the flooring very often you will explain to the fitters the specification that you have sold the customer but despite them being unaware of why or what you have given the customer in the remit they will still take it on themselves to do things their way.  Most of the time because a lot of the preparation etc is not visible they think it will never come to light.
It is basic common sense, despite the safety aspect with power carrying cables, computer, telephone and alarm cables are very easily damaged and quite delicate. If not protected from compression they can easily be damage by foot traffic or simply by moving furniture it does not take a genious to understand that. The cost and inconveniece of moving furniture in order to peel back the carpet to make a repair is a lot more than the little extra time in taking a few minute extra to do the job properly in the first place.
As I have said earlier carpet fitters are normally obnoxious and arrogant at the best of times,  Anybody can take short cuts but in the long term it is worth going the extra mile.

Peter

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »
Jeez what happened here?
Posts deleted, people arriving and leaving.
And then the big debate on who knows carpet fitting the best ;D

Steve. Taylor

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »
Neil i am no sherlock but it looks like the phantom poster strikes again :-[

Reckon the post he made to steve was a case of in one ear out you know the rest
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
Presume you mean running the wire over the middle
of the carpet.
Won't you feel the grippers underfoot.
Would have thought running it round the edge would
be easier and safer.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:39 pm »
As new start ups are slow to get off the ground and generally sluggish for a year or some. The answer may be to learn the basic techniques of fitting and repair. Then if the opportunity comes along, do a repair or fitting to fill the day when you are quiet. When you are busy carpet cleaning, as said more money can be earned cleaning, so you probably wont want the hassle of fitting too.
Once you turn that carpet back, all horrors of a bad original fitting job can jump out at you and can be very time consuming to put right for which the custy probably won't fully appreciate.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2010, 08:39:35 pm »
Presume you mean running the wire over the middle
of the carpet.
Won't you feel the grippers underfoot.
Would have thought running it round the edge would
be easier and safer.

John

John, imagine the gripper doubled up around the perimeter of the room, the cable is laid between the two runs of gripper.

wynne jones

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 10:29:18 pm »
I couldn't fit a carpet for toffee compared to people who not only have been trained but doing it day in day out for years. However as a carpet cleener it's important that you are able to secure a carpet before cleaning. If you want to do repairs like reweaving you ideally want to be able to lift and refit to as good a standard as a professional.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

peter maybury

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 11:50:33 pm »
As Dave said it can seem simple in principal but many of the things you will get asked to do are are a lot more complicated than just fitting a new carpet. One of the most common requests is refitting used carpets into different rooms and this is something that most fitters will not at all the rest will not do without loadfing the price considerably.  It will take you longer to determin whether a rolled up carpet will actually fit a room than it will to fit a carpet that you know will fit a room.

Peter

JandS

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 07:44:16 pm »
Cheers for that Steve, presume we're talking the thicker power
cables here as opposed to my telephone line to the computer.
I run that between gripper and skirting taped at intervals.
A thicker cable wouldn't work like that.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.