Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Hilton

Marketing Plans
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »
Do you use a marketing plan,

I was speaking to a chap today who is struggling in his business and he had no idea about how to set up and implement a marketing plan it was clear with out one he was not going to be around for very long, he had no direction, no objectives and was basically throwing money around hoping he would catch something from it.

I am surprised that there is no course in place for Carpet Cleaners either independent or through the NCCA regarding marketing planning especially as the macro environment is dictating all our futures at present and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

Perhaps marketing could be added to one of the CCDO's I know some people find the subject boring but with out marketing (and I dont mean just leafleting and what is your USP ) most business's end up going no where.

robert meldrum

Re: Marketing Plans
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 05:56:12 pm »
Marketing a c/c service is the same as marketing any service business.................

You research the market
Consider which sector / sectors you wish to target
Decide how best to reach your target market
Decide what your USP will be ( if you have one )
Decide on a marketing budget
Remember that Marketing is not just Advertising but includes Anything that might
grab a prospects attention from Bis Cards / Stationary / Trading name / Logo / Clothing /
Vehicle / etc.
Or..............you could just Advertise in your local Paper and hope for a good response and
you'll find the best marketing tool is your end product. If you do an outstanding job the phone
will ring from referrals.

garry22

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 05:59:54 pm »
Personally, I love marketing.

I don't think it's boring at all, I think it's fascinating. If my ex business partner read this he work freak because in those days I was scared to death of marketing.

I agree with what you say. carpet cleaners are trained on all the cleaning aspects but not the marketing stuff. Apparently, it's the same with dentistry.

Jaso Hedges was asking for opinions for content at the next CCDO so maybe it's worth speaking to him?

Garry

wynne jones

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »
Hilton

That's a good idea as marketing is really the most important thing. You could be a very good CC but it's hard to serve anyone if you are not good at self promotion.

Having said that the main problem is people don't follow through. I keep hearing all these marketing brainwaves people have and turns out they never ever try them because all they want to do is talk about them.

So what is really needed is a how to get off your arse and stop bullpooting presentation.   ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:12 pm »
For NCCA members there are regular articles in their monthly magazine on marketing; and they look very good and reasearched well! All you have to do is join the NCCA and then you'll get access to these articles-and the back-copy articles!!

But as Wynne says, to paraphrase, you'll only get something out of them if you actually do what they say; reading the article does not constitute marketing!!!

Also as others have said there is more to this business than simply being the world's best cc. To be successful you have to be good at "business".

I might be biased but I have done some talks about aspects of business-how to reduce bank charges & how to raise finance. These are valid subjects which cc's should know about but attendance for them was poor.

Of course, it could be that I'm just a cr*p speaker. :(

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

wynne jones

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »
Roger

Just because something is important doesn't necessarily make it popular. Im sure the talk was excellent (don't beat yourself up  :) ). In fact that's the problem nowadays there's no self discipline and everyone wants something without paying the price.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

ianharper

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:23:36 am »
Hilton

with respect, what are fast track and JP then? You marketing plan should be part of your business plan as the marketing plan will need financing.

Respect

Ian Harper

Hilton

Re: Marketing Plans New
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:33 am »
Ian

With respect, JP and Fast Track are not open to everyone unless you have a fat wallet and dont mind being drilled on a method that is almost military in its approach, which not many stick to. The fall out rate and pounds lost must be huge.Of course a few have benefited and some very well indeed , good luck to them but in reality its not a marketing plan.

A proper marketing plan to do yourself should contain research & planning,marketing strategy, action and controls.
It should contain macro and micro environment information as this is what will affect you directly which you will not be able to do anything about it.It should have a GAP and SWOT analysis and your marketing mix both traditional and extended.

It should be updated on a regular basis as should your business plan, but it is not part of your business plan the two are very different.

I think it would be great tool and exercise to add to any business day.There are obviously some great marketeers on here probably with out even knowing it, imagine if you could take all the best parts and put that together into a plan which business's would benefit from hugely.  ;)