Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Justin lee

BNI Networking....An update after my first month
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:17 pm »
a few months back i asked if BNI was anygood and got a right mixed reaction. For any of you not knowing what it is its a weekly networking event where 50 odd business people from all different industries meet (ours is 6.30 am friday morning for 2 hours) and swop referalls. It cost £597 per year (plus £10 a week for your breakfast!) so over a grand a year! For me, its been the best £1k i have speant, so far after only a month i have made my money back. Amongst other industries there is a commercial painting and decorating company who have given me 2 nice contracts, a plumber who has used me twice, and 4 other referalls. It really does work and is made for our industry. If your thinking about joining or want to find out more then copy and paste this in your browser (http://www.bni-europe.com/uk/). Once your area (or chapter as they call it) has a carpet cleaner then it is 'closed', i.e none of your competiion can join!! it is a no brainer, 50 people actively looking to get you work each week who have lots of contacts......i am now looking to join another chapter ASAP.
 Justin
i am here to learn and appreciate any help!!

mark_roberts

Re: BNI Networking....An update after my first month
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »
Justin

It does work BUT these people WILL be expecting YOU to get them good referrals.  Thats the hard bit and there comes a point when you feel under pressure to get people referrals so you start becoming almost a sales man for the other members.

Thats why I left but yes you will get work.

Mark

wynne jones

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 06:18:07 pm »
Good luck with it I'm sure it works for some.

If you are a good networker you will get people lots of referrals. If you are a good networker why do you need BNI?

Why not set up your own network, you are the centre of attention and cherry pick your members. The downside is you have to run it, but there's usually someone who likes doing that sort of thing if you appreciate them enough. ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

mark shannon

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:30 pm »
Constantly getting letters and calls from various members urging me to join. Pain in the arse these people seem under pressure .

wynne jones

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:58:21 pm »
I think they have things arse about face anyway. Surely the best thing you could do is just send someone like you Mark a couple of customers out of the blue. How would that make you feel then?

Steve Gunn

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:06:51 am »
Every chapter is different our chapter only had 13 members at its worst works to a degree but there are other alternatives that don't cost anywhere near what the Bni charge below is one that costs no where near

http://www.stbn.org.uk/

CarPete Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:07 am »
I'm now in my third year of membership of a BNI chapter in Bournemouth and it certainly works for me - otherwise I wouldn't still be a member.

Yes, we are expected to act as a sales team for each other, but that is no hardship.  We have a brochure of all members businesses, and I pass a copy to every customer.  If they then tell me that they need a replacement window, or a gas boiler service, or a new electric point installing etc - I then have a referral for that member.

I get at least a 500% return on my investment re: membership/meeting fees, and I would recommend it to all cleaners.  You can visit your local chapter and find out what's involved.  It's not for everyone, but it works for me.  Pete
Pete Callis
Affordable Quality
www.carpetecleaning.com
NCCA m2102

chrisjohn

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:18:54 am »
Sound like the MASONS to me ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »
Nothing like the Masons C J .............I never joined, but at least three generations on my father's side were members and there was nothing mysterious about it.

wynne jones

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 04:15:03 pm »
Of course you didn't Robert.  ;)

mark shannon

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 06:52:26 pm »
I think they have things arse about face anyway. Surely the best thing you could do is just send someone like you Mark a couple of customers out of the blue. How would that make you feel then?

Wynne good idea  :), have nothing against BNI, just dont want to spend my days selling other peoples buisness.

Besides 6.30 start to early for me :o

mark