Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jouk45

Re: Vans being stolen - precautions
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »
just disconnect the terminal from the battery, simple as that, only takes a few secs, easy and guaranteed

prestige cleaners

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 08:48:02 pm »
just disconnect the terminal from the battery, simple as that, only takes a few secs, easy and guaranteed

another good one jouk.

maybe at night, if i did that every time i stopped, i think i would go mad!

so far i think to be 100% sure its

1. lock van (i know obvious)
2. alarm
3. immobiliser (got)
4. steering wheel disc lock (got)
5. gear lever lock (wouldnt work on my scudo)
6. disconnect battery
7. mobile in van
8. tracker (expensive) got, dont use
9. alexander swan (expensive)
10. wheel clamp (got, dont use)
11. ummm?
12. flame throwers, (illegal unfortunatley, except south africa) actually thats for getting jacked.

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 08:58:02 pm »
get a cardboard cut out or make a scarecrow type thing and put it in the passenger seat!(only for one man bands).

that ll keep em away!! 8) 8)

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:58 pm »

Spruce

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:51 pm »

another good one jouk.

maybe at night, if i did that every time i stopped, i think i would go mad!

so far i think to be 100% sure its

1. lock van (i know obvious)
2. alarm
3. immobiliser (got)
4. steering wheel disc lock (got)
5. gear lever lock (wouldnt work on my scudo)
6. disconnect battery
7. mobile in van
8. tracker (expensive) got, dont use
9. alexander swan (expensive)
10. wheel clamp (got, dont use)
11. ummm?
12. flame throwers, (illegal unfortunatley, except south africa) actually thats for getting jacked.

Flame throwers illegal in South Africa now.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

davids3511

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:55 pm »
Dog does it for me, I wonder if his food is tax deductable.

Knew a guy who brought his alsation out with him in his van. The dog was stolen one day. Not a word of a lie...

ant french

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 10:18:47 pm »
silly thing to say but im looking to getting my own wheel clamp, dont take long to fit. my uncle uses one in london so when he parks ppl think hes been clamped and dont bother to clamp him twice lol

davids3511

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »
how many of us leave our keys lying around downstairs or in the key hole at night?

Never, because my brother deals professionally with scrotes who nick cars and he tells me that this is now pretty much the only way they steal modern vehicles.  Keys are hidden every night.  I would no more leave them in the open than leave the van unlocked.

Vin

Problem with that though is that if they really want your vehicle they will beat it out of you, your wife or someone else close to you.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »
silly thing to say but im looking to getting my own wheel clamp, dont take long to fit. my uncle uses one in london so when he parks ppl think hes been clamped and dont bother to clamp him twice lol

good one ant!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 10:18:26 pm »
> Squeaky

We'd already done the "take the keys with you" one at the start. That was the point - lots of us - like you it seems - didn't realise that your (modern) van could be nicked without the keys.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:38 am »
> Squeaky

We'd already done the "take the keys with you" one at the start. That was the point - lots of us - like you it seems - didn't realise that your (modern) van could be nicked without the keys.

Two camps, one says it's easy, the other says it's pretty much impossible without the key. I hear this all the time. Now who's right.  ???

Never, because my brother deals professionally with scrotes who nick cars and he tells me that this is now pretty much the only way they steal modern vehicles.  Keys are hidden every night.  I would no more leave them in the open than leave the van unlocked.

Vin

formb

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 09:47:02 am »

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:09 am »
Nice, I like it.

Spruce

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 03:44:56 pm »
Fit a dead man switch;

http://www.electricalcarservices.com/battery-isolator-switch-standard-ecs-rsk594-p-1391.html

£4.95 relatively simple to fit.

Trouble is none of us will go underneath the bonnet each time we leave the van to switch this off

Klean07

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
I've never had my van stolen (yet) but sympathise with those that have. I would suggest not putting your address or pictures of your van on your websites. I would imagine if someone wanted to steal a window cleaners van especially one fitted with wfp stuff they would scource everything out first like looking at your website and pics of your van etc. They could then find out which areas you cover then hey presto!!!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

AuRavelling79

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 04:40:12 pm »
> Squeaky

Two camps, one says it's easy, the other says it's pretty much impossible without the key. I hear this all the time. Now who's right.  ???

Vin

Do you think that a proportion of those who have left there keys in the ignition or unattended and had there vehicle stolen have sworn blind to the insurer's that they haven't (left them there)? Human nature dictates they would.

But do some get nicked with no keys?
It's a game of three halves!

formb

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »
Fit a dead man switch;

http://www.electricalcarservices.com/battery-isolator-switch-standard-ecs-rsk594-p-1391.html

£4.95 relatively simple to fit.

Trouble is none of us will go underneath the bonnet each time we leave the van to switch this off

You fit it inside the cab

Spruce

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:27 pm »
> Squeaky

Insurance co's have been known to ask for both sets of keys before to prove that you didn't leave the keys in the ignition. How that would work with someone who bought a van second hand with only 1 key beats me.
Of those whose vans were stolen, did you buy them second hand and did you get all the original keys?

Vin

Do you think that a proportion of those who have left there keys in the ignition or unattended and had there vehicle stolen have sworn blind to the insurer's that they haven't (left them there)? Human nature dictates they would.

But do some get nicked with no keys?

take it slow

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 01:46:25 am »
All my gear is getting a bit old now so i dont think anyone would want to steel it. I have had a small sporty steering wheel fitted to my van, with a quick release centre nut. So i take the steering wheel with me on my back. So if you see anyone driving a van without a steering wheel. ITS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike #1

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 08:09:08 am »
Lots of posts on disconneting battery terminals not good if you have a modern motor as can cause problems if battery is disconnected for long periods of time.

Due to onboard computer etc . Microbore. Hose out back door is by far the best idea as motor is kept totally secure .

I find it more of a risk having my dog in truck as he is so soft

And their is a lot of dog thefts as well so it is very rare that he comes to work with me . Unless he has a giant roast bone and you try and take it then he turns . Mike