Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

garry22

Re: Rogue traders/ watchdog NOW
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2010, 05:42:08 pm »
What concerned me was the attitude of the Lawyer (typical).

He gave the impression that £ 8.99 for two was what people should be expected to pay.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »
Hi Guys

These bait and switch companies have been around for many years and you didn't get the impression that any prosecutions were going to happen.

They will probably just change the company name and start again.

It's little more than stealing and one of the worst aspects is that even if the customer pays top money, they still get a rubbish job,

Cheers

Doug

Mike Halliday

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2010, 06:02:07 pm »
there was a roofer on 2 weeks ago anyone remember his name or where he was based?

this will be forgotten within 2 weeks. they won't even need to change their names and how big an audience does  watchdog have 2-3 million? 

i bet it gives them a little hiccup, then it will be back to normal
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

wynne jones

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »

This all happens because they get away with it. The trading standards and coppers are too busy going after honest people who are easier meat.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garry22

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2010, 06:13:01 pm »
Doug / Mike,

Sadly, I fear you are right.

Maybe we need to use the approach of...

"You know that company on Watchdog? Well we'll do that full clean & protection PROPERLY and it will cost you X"

Doug Holloway

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2010, 06:31:04 pm »
Hi Guys

I don't usually watch Rogue Traders as it generally rubbish and only stayed with it last night because of the CC angle. These programmes could make a difference by involving Trade Associations and Trading standards but they don't because they just want cheap tv.

Cheers

Doug

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »
The bit I didn't like is when the operative offered a superiour service for 49p per sq ft the Solicitor more or less said that it was far more than was expected to pay, there are loads of cleaners that charge 49p and more for cleaning and it reflects on them!

Shaun

Graeme@Access

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2010, 06:52:45 pm »
The big concern for me watching that programme last night was that they had NO representation from the Carpet Cleaning Industry on the programme. the guy watching  under cover was a Lawyer  ::)

Surely they should have had a member from the body that is supposed to represent professional carpet cleaners ie NCCA.

Agree 100%. Why wasnt Paul Pearce wheeled out to give us some war stories? I wonder what we pay for sometimes.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

jasonl

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »
The big concern for me watching that programme last night was that they had NO representation from the Carpet Cleaning Industry on the programme. the guy watching  under cover was a Lawyer  ::)

Surely they should have had a member from the body that is supposed to represent professional carpet cleaners ie NCCA.

Agree 100%. Why wasnt Paul Pearce wheeled out to give us some war stories? I wonder what we pay for sometimes.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

Because they have zero clue on how to get in with these media companies. 10 years ago I got a 15 min spot on look north ,with my trailer mounted Dehumidifier, by employing the right PR people
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Ian Rochester

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »
Missed the programme yesterday, but have already had a good few of my customers commenting on it.  We have a guy pretty local to us offering "Any carpet cleaned for £10"   

Guess what......very few get him out of the house by only paying him £10!

martinsadie

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 07:34:02 pm »
there was a roofer on 2 weeks ago anyone remember his name or where he was based?

this will be forgotten within 2 weeks. they won't even need to change their names and how big an audience does  watchdog have 2-3 million? 

i bet it gives them a little hiccup, then it will be back to normal
Burnley  ;D

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 07:45:15 pm »
I'm surprised there have been replies that basically wanted this type of TV swept under the mat (clever choice of words there  ;D).

The clever people who will market this to their advantage, because a benchmark has been set (via TV) on what to expect if it seems such a fantastic deal because there will be a catch.

Use it to your advantage. Of course many of our potential customer won't have seen the programme but all the same throw it into the dialogue, so they will be frightened off phoning another CC'er who gives a lower price.

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »
Not surprising the chaf never took he's finger off the wand lever ::)
"So basically its a big vax!"

Joe H

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:08 pm »
I mentioned the program today to one of my custys.
She not seen the program but said she got a leaflet offering low prices.
Pleased at what I did to her lounge carpet.  Will be back again in12 months I think.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 09:49:33 pm »
e was paying his staff 1.5k a wk  ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

martinsadie

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »
e was paying his staff 1.5k a wk  ;D
it wasnt a wage but 50% commission and certain ones who earned 3 grand of work

Matt Seymour

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
How on earth does the owner administer such an opperation.
What I mean is, how does he know what operator has taken what? That chav that measured up and tried to take £167.00 from the old dear. He could have gone back to base and said "No sorry, she chucked me off the job without paying". He could have got her to make out the cheque into his name and banked it without them knowning.

Matt

At Enterprise the technicians get paid at the end of the week. Customer can pay over phone with credit/debit card (via someone back at the office), in cash or by cheque. The technicians also carry receipts that they have to get signed. They are also phoned by someone at the office every 2 hours to check where they are. A technician wouldn't be able to stitch the company up unless the customer was in on it.

They don't have a list of appointments given to them. They start off with one first thing in the morning and then phone in when they finish each job and are then given another job to go to.

benny d

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2010, 09:36:51 am »
the chaf never took he's finger off the wand lever ::)

Stop talking about me like that. 'fanks mate!  ;D
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Matt Lindus

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
How on earth does the owner administer such an opperation.
What I mean is, how does he know what operator has taken what? That chav that measured up and tried to take £167.00 from the old dear. He could have gone back to base and said "No sorry, she chucked me off the job without paying". He could have got her to make out the cheque into his name and banked it without them knowning.

Matt

At Enterprise the technicians get paid at the end of the week. Customer can pay over phone with credit/debit card (via someone back at the office), in cash or by cheque. The technicians also carry receipts that they have to get signed. They are also phoned by someone at the office every 2 hours to check where they are. A technician wouldn't be able to stitch the company up unless the customer was in on it.

They don't have a list of appointments given to them. They start off with one first thing in the morning and then phone in when they finish each job and are then given another job to go to.

Ok, so I work for enterprise, for example. I get a call to see a customer in Essex. I manage to convince the customer to go for £400 as a pose to £8.99.
I take the £400 cash or cheque made out to me, thank the customer then leave the house. In the van I make out an invoice for £8.99 and do a signature for the customer. When passing a cash point I take out the £8.99 so they can clear the invoice.

Not only that but I also get 40% relief of the £8.99 I had to withdraw (they give you 40% com on takings)
This gives me a total private taking of £394.61 and the benifit of paying for no vehicle, no tax, no repairs, no fuel, no insurance, no chems, no insurance, no expensive marketing.

Where do I apply?

Explain that one.

Matt

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2010, 11:23:20 am »
 ;D ;D