This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SherwoodCleaningSe

Managed to get George working on my mac but not pocket george
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:13 pm »
I've downloaded the trial version and used an app called cross over, George appears to be working ok and even backed up to USB.  Impressed with it, it don't look pretty but it does the job well.

Now before I spend £50 on George could someone recommend a PDA that works well with George but isn't going to break the bank.

Simon.

Jeff Brimble

Re: Managed to get George working on my mac
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:18:52 pm »
Any Palm device, cheapest is best ie. Zire.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 09:22:09 pm »
zire 72 cost me £40 second hand  ;)

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:43 am »
Managed to get hold of a palm a freebie from my brother, doesn't want to connect to george through the mac.  George will work as a stand alone program on the mac with the cross over program but to get it working with pocket george you will need a pc.  So I'm bootcamping a macbook for the job.

One thing that concerns me though is that these palm pda's look like OLD tech.  I can't find any new ones around so what happens when they have all gone, will pocket george be redundant, and therefor by extension george.

Simon.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:39:35 am »
Sherwood

I just use the worksheets with george, works perfect that way, you can visually see your days work in one glance, rather than scrolling through a tiny screen.

I tried pocket for a few months, but found printing worksheets better suited my business.

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:44:02 am »
Managed to get hold of a palm a freebie from my brother, doesn't want to connect to george through the mac.  George will work as a stand alone program on the mac with the cross over program but to get it working with pocket george you will need a pc.  So I'm bootcamping a macbook for the job.

One thing that concerns me though is that these palm pda's look like OLD tech.  I can't find any new ones around so what happens when they have all gone, will pocket george be redundant, and therefor by extension george.

Simon.

Hi Simon
Good question. With HP buying the Palm (I believe) it's future is debateable according to one internet source I read a while back. An inlaw has a windows based pda and uses palm based programmes on it with an emulator. I don't know if this is an answer.
We have  Zire 31 's which have been great for the purpose of pocket george as still going strong, but these will have to be replaced sooner or later.
Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spruce

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:57:56 am »
Sherwood

I just use the worksheets with george, works perfect that way, you can visually see your days work in one glance, rather than scrolling through a tiny screen.

I tried pocket for a few months, but found printing worksheets better suited my business.

Hi Dave,
You have several guys working for you so it would probably work better printing out a work schedule for each of them. They will then write any relevant notes next to the job such as a job cancellation which you are unable to do on Pocket George. Generally staff are in such a hurry to get off home it is easily to forget the detail that has to be done on the PC.
When Cameron first started with me we used worksheets for him, but I also found the emphasis was on me to ensure there was sufficient work scheduled for him for at least a week ahead. At the time the water and later the gas boards were digging up the estates so had to dodge them.  Now he has it on pda 2 weeks in advance updated everyday after he balances up his cash takings I don't have to worry about that.
Spruce

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:01:39 am »

Simon.

Hi Simon again,
I can't remember who it was on here sucessfully uses infra red arrangement to hot sync his pda with windows vista 64 bit, I wonder if this will help you. A search will dig the thread out I'm sure.
Spruce

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:34 am »
I do like the way the program works, but it's a pain in the neck updating every night, I guess that's what secretaries are for.  I like the idea of pocket george because you just plug in at the end of the day and it's done.

The problem of syncing with a mac is that although I've managed to install the pc george software via a system called crossover, the palm desktop software won't run on cross over.

I recognise that people don't want to write software for the mac, I can handle that.  But I am a bit worried why new mobile devices aren't being considered like android iphones ect.  Before long all the palms will have gone and every body will have to print worksheets off.

Simon.

George Systems

Re: Managed to get George working on my mac but not pocket george
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Hi Guys

I realise that the Palm is getting a bit old and I intend to replace it in due course.

Unfortunately there are a lot mobile operating systems at the moment - PalmOS, NetOs, Android, iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Mobile etc. Most of them have very small market share and no doubt some will disappear in a year or two.

It's a very big investment in time and effort to develop a mobile app and I want to be sure I do it for the right platform. At the moment it's too soon to tell.

Paul

ian1972

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »
Hi George can you tell me which palm works with vista? Some one on here said the zire 71 or 72 as other palms don't work cheers in advance

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »
can never download the thing how do ya do this on a blackberry

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:59 pm »
Hi sherwood.

As you say, you are to use bootcamp, all you do is stick an operating system in.Any disc from an older laptop will do.You can choose which system, but if you feel xp is better than vista use that.

When you attach another device you will be given a choice on which system to use it- so basically you already have a pc.

I use something called parrallels, but you have to pay for that.I also use wcpro.I would be very interested to here the other guys comments if i suggested you use wcpro?- Out of interest any remarks on this?

George Systems

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »
can never download the thing how do ya do this on a blackberry
Hi

It won't run on a Blackberry - only a PalmOS (or WebOS with emulator) PDA or phone.

Paul

George Systems

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 05:12:15 pm »
Hi George can you tell me which palm works with vista? Some one on here said the zire 71 or 72 as other palms don't work cheers in advance
Hi

I don't think "normal" Vista has problems with any Palm machines - it's the 64 bit versions of Vista & Windows 7 that are more problematic.

Paul

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »
Also, parrallels creates a virtual machine- this and a mac bootcamp windows will have a different ip address than your computer.This may not be an issue, just thought i'd mention it.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 07:19:58 pm »
I've got parrallels but to be honest I'm not that keen on it, I've managed to do a boot camp and the computer is working sweet, well as sweet as xp can.

Only problem is now, how do you update george from a usb back up.  I have downloaded a fresh copy but not yet puchased it.  I intend to do so soon just wanted to see how it interacted with the pda first.  Don't want to have to re input the data I've already done.

Simon.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
Sorted it.  FAQ on the george website. DOH.

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 09:03:49 pm »

Simon.

Hi Simon again,
I can't remember who it was on here sucessfully uses infra red arrangement to hot sync his pda with windows vista 64 bit, I wonder if this will help you. A search will dig the thread out I'm sure.
Spruce

That would be me there