This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Scotbrite

Buying an established business
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:30 pm »
Hi Guys,
I have been unexpectedly given the opportunity to buy an existing cleaning company. It is a relatively small company in a reasonably remote area . It has a mix of domestic & commercial work & with some drainage work at the moment & has been in existance for a few years. Although i have little knowledga of the detailed content of this work the company has been valued at 180k to 220k & the asking price is in the region of 69k. There are also a number of national contacts included in this although it is small work.
  My own view is that once the books had been seen & verifiried & the value ( which in my opinion is more likely to be about 160k) is confirmed the price should be more like 50k

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ron

Alan McTernan

Re: Buying an established business
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »
Hi Ron,

I would ask my accountant to value the business and carry out the nessesary checks!!

Good Luck ;)
Alan

Pristine Clean

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:12:56 am »
There's a little more to it than than.

Alan, is your accountants that special? If so can we all have his number LOL ;D

And I cannot certainly list them all here.

But couple of things I would also check is, the length of the contracts.. When are they up for renewal? You could potentially lose some work.

What employees are there?

Are there any outstanding Law Criminal Proceedings, sickness payouts, any in progress, accidental claims for damages etc.

Are you purchasing equipment, make sure outstanding balances are clear as you might find a nasty outstanding balance.

You will need a little more than just an accountant.

Best of luck with the purchase

Dave

"You have to except that some days you are the statue and other days you are a pigeon"

Alan McTernan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:15:22 am »
Hi Ron,

I would ask my accountant to value the business and carry out the nessesary checks!!

Good Luck ;)
Alan

Only trying to help ::)

Last business i bought my accountant carried out the "the nessasary checks" and we got the business for 25% less than asking!!!

Good Luck
Alan ;)

Phild

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:59:30 pm »
Personally, if it's an owner operated business I would work out the turnover as best you can (you keep going on about it being valued at 'x' amount which I assume is it's turnover excluding VAT?)

Then work out the gross profit. The GP is the amount of money left out of the invoice value of doing the work when you have paid anything needed to do the contracts such as labour, Nic, transport, materials, equipment, hires etc. which is directly attributable to doing the work. NOT admin, finance and general overheads such as rent, phones etc which are overheads.

It should be in the range of 25 - 35%. If it's lots higher than this check that the owner has costed his time and energy into the direct costs if he is working on the jobs. Anyway this will give you a percentage. A starting point for negociations is to pay one years gross profit i.e. you get your money back in one year if you don't lose anything. I would suggest that approximately this is what the business is worth and this figure includes all bog standard equipment and working materials. Expect to have to pay extra for any special / new equipment and vehicles.

This is when the negociation comes in. If the current owner is an owner operator all you are buying is goodwill. Yes check agreements, contracts and quotes but the reality is the business could just walk out the window if they have a good personal relationship with their clients. So try to make your agreement that you pay a decent percentage of the price up front then monthly staged payments over the following 5-6 months. You have to have some street cred to do this as the seller has to trust you but that's also true the other way.

I would though be very cautious. I have done cracking deals (both buying and selling) but I have also felt as if I have just wasted my money, time and energy. Above all don't get excited about the deal. That's the quickest way to get carried away.

Because of that I would talk to an accountant. Outline the pointers I have given above so they can get their head around an industry way of valuing cleaning work then you do the initial negociations but always just say you have to refer to your accountant when things get sticky or you don't want to be put on the spot. Involve them, keep them in the picture and they will stop you getting buyers fever!

If you don't have an accountant that's another problem as you need someone used to buying businesses of a certain size and dealing with the foibles of the smaller operator. Try and get a personal recommendation from someone who knows your local area and whose opinion you trust.

Above all don't be rushed. There is always a sweeter deal around the corner. Best of luck. Remember it's not Monopoly money but stuff you have grafted to make. Phil D

Scotbrite

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:28:43 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Been v. busy the last couple of days with other things connected with this deal. Will keep you all updated,
Regards,
Ron