Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Blue City Cleaning

is there much difference?
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »
I'm not new to cleaning but new to carpet cleaning and have a couple questions regards the portable machines specifications. I will be going for a proffesional training course but wanted to know it all in advance  ;)
1) First of all is there much difference between 135 psi and 500 psi when cleaning carpets? I understand that this is the pressure in which the solution will be forced into the carpet? Would 135 psi be ok on my first machine or should I look straight away for a 500 psi one? Will the final effect on carpet be different?
2) Then there's the engine/s - I take it the more the better cos they will work simultanously and suck the solution with bigger force from the carpet leaving it dryer?
3) What's the difference between an in-line heater and for example Steam pro/ steam mate?

And one more question reagrds training? Can you guys tell me where can I go for a good training course near Edinburgh?

Thank you
Chris
www.bluecitycleaning.co.uk
Non omnis moriar

ryan mca

Re: is there much difference?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »

Yes
Yes
no engine on a porty if you mean vacs min 2
nottingham nearest cource at cleansmart but if your buying a new machine
you can get training for free.
   Ryan

Joe H

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:04:00 am »
135psi and 2 vacs will be fine,but if your budget will go to it then a 3 vac machine will be better.
500psi machines can squirt the water at the carpet at more pressure, I usually use up to 350-400, but you do need the means to get it out of the carpet and that is where the 3 vacs are beneficial.

Number of suppliers of 3 vac machines.  Mine is a Scorpion from Solutions Cornwall - very reliable.  The Airflex from Cleansmart in Nottingham, the Alltec machine from Hertfordshire, and the Ninja whilst being a 2 vac machine you can link another vac extrernally - Ashbys in Essex supply that.

Not all machines with 3 vacs are the same - its the way they are engineered that gives top performance - bit like the starting grid for a Formula 1 race - all incredibly fast but those with better engineering work the best. (of course the driver [operator] has a large input too).
The Scorpion has been on the UK market over 6 years now, is well engineered and performs extremely well.

From 2 electric power cables (which these machines have) you cannot get more then 3 vacs and a pump running at the same time.
The Alltec does have a tub heater, but as soon as you switch on the 3 vacs it switches off. SO IF you want heat, (and it is an if cause warm/hot tap water is usually available) the you go fo r an inline heater - which work better if there is a source of warm/hot water to feed it.  And you dont want too hot water running thro a pump cause it will cause damage - so inline is a better bet in many peoples eyes.   

Training - dont know of courses up in Scotland though no doubt there will be some.  National Carpet Cleaners Association in Leicester do a 2 day course regularly which is a Friday and Saturday. www.ncca.co.uk

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:57 am »
Dont forget the higher the psi the more time you will spend filling the machine, i clean at 150psi most of the time, if using the right pre-sprays then it is more than enough.
Mark

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 09:06:54 am »
135 psi machines with twin vacs are fine, just make sure that the vacs are 3 stage not 2. Cleaning is mainly about detergents and agitation methods and spot cleaning any stains with the correct solutions, the machine is basically to rinse. 6 years ago before I was self employed I was running a Prochem Blazer truckmount, but since self employment I`ve just used a 135 twin vac and get along just fine.This is due to the detergents doing the work now, not the machine ! Detergents have come a long way over the last few years. As for inline heaters, the higher the kw the faster it will heat

creighton foyle

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:51:07 am »
i think extracta are the nearest to you, i believe they do free training if you buy their machine and whilst they do'nt have a triple vac they do have a range of machines varying in power. ncca training is about £300 and is obligatory if you want to be a member but if your not bothered most suppliers will do you free training if you buy a new machine from them.

Linds Russell

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:10:03 am »
Contact Cleaning Systems UK in Cupar. 01334 656787.

They are pretty much a one stop shop for most of your needs from training to machines, solutions and advice. I can't speak highly enough of them.

They are always willing to impart advice on various matters and they have given me advice several times over the phone when I've got stuck with a stain in a customer's house.

They have just been given the royal warrant seal for cleaning services at various royal premises and that isn't given out lightly. They don't do domestic work themselves as they don't like the thought of competing with their own customers and I've had referral work from them too.

http://www.cleaning-systems-uk.com/

Good luck because Edinburgh is highly competitive!
Linds

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 11:18:14 am »
i think extracta are the nearest to you, i believe they do free training if you buy their machine and whilst they do'nt have a triple vac they do have a range of machines varying in power. ncca training is about £300 and is obligatory if you want to be a member but if your not bothered most suppliers will do you free training if you buy a new machine from them.

Extracta do charge for their training courses even if you buy a machine but ive seen them give 1-1 training for free sometimes when ive wandered in to their factory unit. I use their machinery and get good results.... This is a video i did if you want to check it out? By the way all this talk of higher psi the better? I have the machine turned on at about 50-75 psi in this video. There was also no prespray or vaccing done before hand. Been doing this pub for 5 years and the landlord is always amazed with my work!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blixBc2HBqo

John

Matt Seymour

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:15:37 pm »
Just watched your video Skywalker.

Very impressive, but I've now got that bl**dy background music stuck in my head! ;D

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »
Cheers Matt! Its gotten me loads of new customers! I agree tho the music is quite annoying but at the same time sounds professional.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »
I'm thinking of adding a video to my site as well. Just waiting for a really minging job that will show what the machine can do to maximum effect.

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:36 pm »
Thanks guys.

Skywalker - it looks very impressive. What kind of attachment are you using there? I've noticed it says Scrubbo on it but no idea what is it.

Re the machine - so a 135 psi with 2 -3 stage vacuums will do fine? I didnt quite get the heat thing yet - is it that the in-line heater heats the water slowly and the steam mate gives hot water instantly but is worse for the pump?

Chris
Non omnis moriar

robert meldrum

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »
Tec'

I've had dozens of machines over nearly 30 years from 70 psi to 1000 psi never gone higher than 600 and that's been pretty rare, usually between 150 and 200.

What you use as your prespray has a major bearing on the results you achieve although a form of aggitatation can make quite a difference.

I just happen to have a  Scrubba De Luxe for sale as I'm gradually backing out of the business ( I've passed my 66th birthday ) and only taking on smaller jobs.

www.cleandryscotland@aol.com

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:02:15 pm »
Hi its a Scrubba available from Extracta in Gateshead. If Robert has one id snap his arm off for it but make sure you dont put too much pressure through it if you dont purchase an Extracta machine. I think about 125psi is the max or you will damage it but its extremely rare id ever put anything more that 75-100 through it.

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:32 pm »
My budget is very tight at the moment and for the machine and anything that would need to go with it (chemicals, sprayers, air mover, etc.) I can only spend max £1500 and thats because I just bought some window cleaning equipment and need to get a van too (my 4x4 is too small for all that).

RobertThe scrubba looks great and if my budget would allow me I would buy it from you. If you're gradually backing out then maybe you have a used porty that you're willing to sell?
I'm just starting and need something really fast as my clients are almost ripping me apart whenever they see me cos I've promissed that I'll do their carpets before christmas  ;D

I take it you can only use that attachment on some types of carpets but not all?
Chris
Non omnis moriar

robert meldrum

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 10:02:37 pm »
Gary Findlay has a machine worth looking at..........check the last few posts.

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 12:37:57 am »
From the used ones for sale at the moment I have a choice of either:
1) TMI Rhino 135 psi, twin vac, V2 heater - bigger but no spares if brakes, better pump and heater
2) Alltec Aqua 40 100 psi, twin vac, dont know which heater - smaller, spares in uk

Both roughly same price. Could you give me some advice which one would be better to go for?
Chris
Non omnis moriar

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 01:44:24 am »
The pump and the vacs used in the Rhino are probably those used in most machines and are available from any supplier, ask the seller what's in there. The area you may come unstuck are consumables like gaskets/seals etc but you may be able to get round it. The V2 is an inline heater and worth a few quid check the Ashby's website.

The Alltec is bullet proof, internal heat which can be time consuming but will keep water hot, and the 35psi will help a bit but not massively..Rhino looks the better deal and is good value but I have no experience using them so not fair to comment. Used Alltec's for years until I got a new machine last year i'd go for the Alltec.

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »
Cheers Simon.
One last thing cos you said you've used alltecs - do they have something to adjust the pump pressure? And would I be able to change the pump for a bigger one?

Thanks
Chris
Non omnis moriar

wynne jones

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 10:26:36 pm »
I would get a well proven second hand machine like a Ninja 135. I know a few guys who went out of business in a few months because they spent all there money on new, only to find they couldn't pay the rent 3 months down the line. The guy who bought their gear is still in business though. ;)
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.