Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cannon

Thompson local
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:29 pm »
Ive never given these the time of day untill today i decided to have a listen to what they had to say.

Im very close to giving them ago, but that voice in my head is sayin NOOOO!

Does anyone currently use or previously used these?

Linds Russell

Re: Thompson local
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:44:33 pm »
Save your money and spend it on a good leaflet drop. the return will be better.
Linds

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:56:29 pm »
Never used them.
Chris
www.bluecitycleaning.co.uk
Non omnis moriar

Jim_77

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »
I do OK out of it to be honest.  I think it depends how many of your competitors also have display ads.  In my book there's only about 4 of us last time I bothered to look.  I have a tiny ad, about £300 worth, but it has yielded 3 times its value over the life of the book.

We're not talking big money but I will continue to run an ad as long as the numbers make sense.

Sometimes you just have to suck it and see, a few hundred quid is a very low risk punt if it doesn't work out ;)

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:37 pm »
FOOLISHLY took reps advice and went for net search upgrade and book £80 a month :o. Got the odd job
from book but bu**er all from the the net, never again.
"So basically its a big vax!"

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:00 pm »
Thompson locals' website used to be good! Thier results powered google local search a few years ago. But now its totaly pants! I mean if no one is going to yell dot com, who the feck is going to go to Tompson's websites directory! lol

As for thier book, i wouldn't bother. Having said that, i get about 2-3 jobs a year from a free listing which is pretty good for a free line!

If there aren't many cleaners in the book for your area, you could maybe try it. The good thing about TL is that you can haggle the price right down, unlike the yellowpages.....

cannon

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »
I remember reading that thomson local have something to do with google maps, anyone know to what extent?

Adam P

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »
I remember reading that thomson local have something to do with google maps, anyone know to what extent?

from what i understand google will put peoples companies higher on google maps if they have more websites saying that that is definitely your address. thomson local is a good confirmation for them that you live there so when you take that out you'd get a higher position on google maps, however there is plenty other ways to do this without thomson local so imo not worth it.

ianharper

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:51 am »
might be worth the spend just for social prof for your map listing

clinton

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 07:27:23 am »
Same as above mate and dont forget the rep will be trying there hardest and it will sound a good deal but i would stay away

cleanability

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 07:34:54 am »
The Thomson website deal waste of money. Very small section in my book. If the work you get covers the ad then its a no brainer surely. And I'd be staggered if it doesnt.

Chris

Linds Russell

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:40:02 am »
I'm meeting a Thomson rep tomorrow re their web packages. Told her on the phone that the directory is a non starter for me. She said that they "power" the Google maps searches.

I'll go along for the free coffee and see the fine details of it ;D
Linds

garry22

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
They provided the information for the database and that's all.

You get no favours from Google for being in Thompsons (despite the reps hinting that you do)

clinton

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 01:11:55 pm »
You would have thought then reps wouldnt say things like that but guess there so desparate for work now they would..

chrisjohn

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:52:14 pm »
Ive just received my 2011 thompson directory for the Leeds area.Im not joking when I say it now resembles a magazine its so thin.Say no more!!

Chris

cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »
Ive decided against it at least for now, been getting about 5 calls a day from the rep and he has even been texting me

Jim_77

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:18 am »
nothing worse than a phone pest! amazing how many reps have hassled their way out of a deal, isn't it!  why do they do it???

Matt Seymour

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 01:52:37 pm »
I used to get loads of call from Thompson when I first started - they were a right pain in the arse!

Like Yell they really don't seem prepared to accept the fact that they are not even close to being the force they once were.

It's about time the realised this and reduced their prices to a more realistic level.