Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Do you use a computer for quotes / invoicing or are you still old school??

Computer software
Quill and ink !!!

Geoff Jewkes

Client database
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:24 pm »
Hi guys, looking at getting more with the times!!! How many of you carry a laptop around with you for booking in clients etc, invoicing, quoting, and what software do you use?? I have had cleaners mate on trial and it seems pretty good, I can really see the advantages of going down this route, are there other programs available ?? 

Geoff

Geoff Jewkes

Re: Client database
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
11 Looks no votes, must be the cash in hand crew   ;D ;D

colin thomas

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:07 pm »
all invoicing and quotes for sending out done at home on the computer otherwise it's a diary and pen when out on the road, quicker imo. i have an old laptop that i might take out on the road just incase i need to see the value of an old invoice while out.
not sure the point of doing invoices on a laptop while out, would you carry a printer around as well?

colin
colin thomas

derek west

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »
i use cleaners mate but quote with nothing in hand, all my quotes are done in my head. haven't got time to sit there typing into a comp, thats for the £120 quid a room brigade.

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:12 pm »
I wouldnt take a laptop out, but would be handy to put the info into some form of database at home. If you get a repeat customer ringing then you`ve obviously got all the info to hand i.e how much it was last time etc.
I know about that brigade, there is a guy in my area carrying a laptop ( a fast tracker ) charging a minimum of £200 plus vat for suites, £100 for a lounge etc!

Len Gribble

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »
I had a Psion 3 many-many years ago database used lotus 1-2-3 dose that count as old school. :)  Haven’t tried cm am sure it’s good but the price is one put off! ::)   If any one has ms office you could do the same thus saving your cash. ;)

A mate use his iPhone 4 in front of customer to send email quote they are very impressed with his efficiency, but when he send his invoice they are very slow payers  ;D
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
Psion 3...........................WOW thats a blast from the past Len!

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:39 pm »
Found this, cheaper than cleaners mate!!   

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260677534228&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Payment at the end of the job, unless its letting agents Len, Domestics are slow payers if you don`t invoice straight away

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »
Psion 3

Len Gribble

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:10:23 pm »
That’s the one very versatile but not many mobile phones about then  :o ah peace and tranquillity! ;D

I have a John Bull stamp for them  ;)
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Blue City Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:55 pm »
I'm just about to buy "George" (no, its not from Asda) - most window cleaners use it. They cost £50 and everyone says that its money well spend. You dont have to carry a laptop but a small PDA and then transfer all the info at the end of the day to your pc at home. Looks professional and makes things easier. Simples ;)
www.georgesystems.co.uk
Chris
www.bluecitycleaning.co.uk
Non omnis moriar

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
I use a Palm TX PDA with a 4 gig memory card. All my clients get an excel spread sheet with each room measurements, charges and any other facts that I learn, all on one sheet. My sister in law was a hairdresser and she told me years ago of customer handy cards. Don't know if you've noticed (or is it just me) folk tell you about their plans for holidays, name of the dog, family etc. Well she noted little details down so when she next cut their hair she could ask a question that was relevant. When I enter a customer in my diary I set a reminder for three months time just to drop a line about promotions or news etc. It's often enough to keep you in their mind but not too often to be annoying. Hotels and larger clients have a date by each area or room when I clean them. and I send reminders that X Y & Z rooms are due to be cleaned. It's a simple system but it allows you to personally appeal to your customers.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:34:47 pm »
I saw one the other day where the equipment was being carried in a case on wheels

I used to use a PDA and a small thermal printer I could carry in my pocket but regretably the PDA got smashed and i was not insured

Was not happy with the termal print ouy bit like a Tesco self serve petrol receipt

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:11 pm »
That’s the one very versatile but not many mobile phones about then  :o ah peace and tranquillity! ;D

I have a John Bull stamp for them  ;)

Now thats showing your age

ianharper

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:27 am »
not a great idea to carry a laptop in the van. i know guys that have lost them and it can be a real pain.

Joe H

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 07:44:45 am »
not a great idea to carry a laptop in the van. i know guys that have lost them and it can be a real pain.

If they lost a laptop in their van - they must be carrying too much equipment.  ;D ;D

Sorry Ian, I am having a silly moment.

I do estimates the "old" way.  Too much ffaffing using a computer, though it may impress some.

JandS

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »
Same as d for quotes, word of mouth for domestics
printed one for commercial.
Don't give invoices on domestics unless asked and
that is very rare.
Microsoft access has a Contacts template where you
can write up your customer database, I then send this
to a USB stick for back up.
Appointments in a diary and also write every appointments
date and telephone number in a separate notebook again
as a backup and leave this at home.
A friend of a friend, a joiner, had his van nicked one day.
He wasn't bothered about all his tools as he was well insured
but insurance couldn't tell him the appointments he had booked
in for the next 14 weeks. His diary was on front seat.
Found empty and burned out 2 nights later.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.