Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Doug Holloway

Re: Need a back up machine what do you recommend?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:11 am »
Hi Guys

I have to agree with Peter on this, you really cannot buck the science.

A truckmount is best and a portable with heat, whether directly or through an exchanger is the next best.

Cheers

Doug

Joe H

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 08:04:35 am »
Think some of you guys have seriously gone off thread topic.

The thread is about "Need a back up machine what do you recommend".

OK, I initially said something like - get a Scorpion 3 vac, and use your Prochem as a backup.
That to me was a much better option then getting a backup machine (presumably of less power) to the Prochem they already have.

A truckmount is hardly a backup machine. Even my Scorpion is a back up to my Prowler.
Now the thread seems to have developed into the old battle of "heat against no heat"

But a truckmount is not the be all and end all.
There are many, and I mean many portable owners - some on the forums, more not on the forums, who make a good living from a portable. OK they may not do all that Peter has done ie night clubs, pubs, hotels, conference centres, trains, ships, offices, houses, restaurants, nursing homes - but maybe they can make a very good living just doing domestics and smaller (or not so small) commercial jobs, many such cleaners have a rotary as well and engage in commercial with that - doing a good job to customer satisfaction.
So blowing the truckmount horn at full pelt is not telling the full story.
The two truckmounts I have owned may not be the all singing, dancing most powerful units available, but having used them I do know that they make carpet cleaning easier. But like I said, IMO they are not the be all and end all. 
You CAN have a good life with a portable.

suffolkclean

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 07:56:53 pm »
hi joe
i`m barbaras husband craig and would like to say thanks to you and everyone else for your valued input.
would love a truckmount but unfortunately just out of our league , and as it is not the only cleaning service we offer , we have other things to take into consideration. I amsure we will invest in one at some point but not just yet.
really like the scorpion , thinking about it over the weekend and may order on monday if we can get a good inline heater.
maybe something like a mytee inline heater , still looking into it.
anyone recommend a good inline heater???

thanks once again for the good sound advice

craig

Joe H

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 08:16:16 pm »
Craig
The inline heater I use has no manufaturers name on it but I am led to believe it is a Mytee.
I got it with the Scorpion,which was 2nd hand almost 3 years ago now. I understand my machine and heater may be about 6 years old
The heater has twin chambers and is twin switched, which means you can go at half heat or full heat.
It does work better if you feed it with warm to hot water first, then it heats this up higher.
Make enquiries at the Solution Cornwall office, see what inline heaters they are dealing in now.
You wont be disappointed with the Scorpion nor the after sales service at Solutions, one of the best.

Billy Russell

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
hi Craig!

I bought my Scorpion a couple of months ago from solutions! and i second what Joe says! Fantastic Machine!  And the Chems are really good as well! all mine are now converted from prochem to solutions!

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 12:01:15 am »
Craig

Nick will tell me off

But you are in Suffolk you need to find out about servicing arrangements and Courier Arrangements as this can be an expensive cost on a repair.
But if this can be satisfied and fast turnaround

If you bought The Triple Vac Advance from Alltec  you could drive to Alltec and back in a morning  providing they can do an on the spot repari.

Also there is Cleansmart in Nottigham which would take you a day but believe they arrange local repair You get the triple Vic Airflex

Simon@arenaclean

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 10:09:04 am »
I'd agree with Joe if carpet cleaning is developing go for a triple vac and use the steampro as a back up. I'm sure Hugh Crane in Acle would service or repair the steampro they are Prochem dealers, and it's cheaper and closer than shipping. I have the Airflex turbo and I should check who could do local repairs with Matt at Cleansmart but I suspect it could be them.

I'm heading to Nottingham on Tuesday to try the Magma in line heater, what I particularly like is the heater bolts on to the back of the Airflex making it easier to transport and it can be left for short hose runs or taken off for working at length. I'll have more details once i've tried it out. I've had the Airflex for almost a year and have been impressed with it's build quality and performance and ease of access to vac and pump just by lifting the case. The vacs are mounted on a panel that is released and folds out giving easy access for servicing. I check inside once a week to make sure all is ok and it's an easy 5 minute job. My Alltec twin pro involved turning the machine upside down, unbolting the base and then there was not much room to work. The Airflex is a lot easier.

I run mine from 25L containers using the drop in solution hose like the Scorpion. I will mount a tank in the van this winter but the containers work fine as I can take hot water with me which saves time. You would get the best out of any triple vac using 2" hose at 50'. Depending on the job I use a reducer cuff direct to wand or a whip hose for hand tools or tight areas and the machine stays outside or in the van, this system can easily be used with the Scorp or Airflex.

(Edit to add)

If you do want a back up machine for the steampro Alltec do the Aqua 40 or Cleansmart do the Airflex Mini's both in twin versions and about a £1000 less than their tripple vac big brothers. Just a thought.

Joe H

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 01:42:57 pm »
Distance from the supplier need not be the most important criteria when purchasing a machine.
Machines should be reliable these days but some seem to be more reliable then others.

Basically inside you are getting  vac motors and a pump.
The vac motors in the Scorpion are Lamb Ametek which most machine suppliers deal wut, getting at them is straight forward. The pump is pretty standard too, and again accesible. So whats the big deal.
Cant speak for other manufacturers machines cause I not had them to get them serviced.

Like wise with the Prowler. Standard Kohler 15hp engine which lots of garden  mower suppliers deal in  (probably not your B&Q).  Pump and blower pretty much standard in their own field too.

My Scorpion supplier is 325 miles away
My Prowler supplier is 170 miles away.
Am I too concerned. - not really - two very helpful suppliers who are at the end of a telephone for advice.  Plenty of help nearer to as well.  You find your way.

The hurdles to stop you making the best choice are only there if you make them or listen too much to others who may have their own agenda..

Doug Holloway

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 02:06:45 pm »
Hi Guys

Distance is very important in my view as you can get irt sorted by getting up early and driving to the supplier which is what I have done with Alltec in the past.

I have both my TM and portable from them and the service is good.

Personally I would always prefer a machine with an inbuilt heater, it's just a lot less hassle and heat is absolutly fundamental to achieving top cleaning results.

It obviously depends on whether you like or are any good at servicing machines yourself, I am neither good nor do I like doing them so I go for the best localish supplier.

Cheers

Doug

Darren O

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 02:41:53 pm »
Ive been using inline heaters for over 5 years ive had the prochem one and the ashbys steammate both of them are pretty useless you get short bursts of heat at best.Ive had 3 portys hydramaster raptor,powerflight perfect heat top machines with great heat also got a prochem powermax with the heat and run its like a toy compared to the other two.

suffolkclean

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:48 am »
Hi

Got the powermax back late Friday evening , the pump was replaced and it was used on a commercial on Saturday and I thought it performed well. That was a week we were without a carpet cleaning machine not good!
Anyway I would just like to say thanks all for your thoughts , yes we have thought about the distance to the supplier in cornwall regarding the scorpion , it is a concern but I suppose there are always pros and cons no matter what machine you buy. Before we decide to go ahead or not with the purchase of the scorpion , obviously its something we will talk about  with john at solutions although he has said that any problems and they will send a fast courier to either pick up the machine or send a part for a local supplier to repair the machine if needed.
Although we started this thread looking for a back up to the powermax its clear there are many better machines out there where you don’t have to go as far as a truck mount. This is what barbara and I think will take us on a further level.
We also want to start trying other chemicals , as up till now we have exclusively used prochem , and while I personally think they are very good chemicals , they can be pricey and it would be interesting to use differing chemicals to achieve as good or better a result and hopefully at a better cost.
Getting back to heaters , with a portable I like the idea of an inline heater close to the wand , I am not too keen on the idea of an on board heater. I have seen on some of the american sites heaters that can be placed in the tank , think this sounds dangerous , to the user as well as potentially damaging to the machine although I am sure they must work or they wouldn’t be on the market , just not my cup of tea.
Once again the truck mount  , if you can get the volume of ( suitable) work to keep it busy must be the ultimate aim for an expanding business , as well as offering  other types of carpet cleaning other than hwe.
Thanks once again for everyone who has contributed their thoughts on this thread , its good to hear from the many carpet cleaners out there and businesses offering sound advice and food for thought .
Many thanks and best wishes

craig

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 03:10:00 pm »
I've been thinking about the In-line Heater situation

It appears to get top heat you need one wet past  followed by four dry passes

I might be wrong but I do not do four dry passes unless I have had to do several wet passes

suffolkclean

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
John called me back today re Inline heater, he wants to double check info with the manufacturers but the cost for the heater will be £600 ! (this is becoming an expensive back up machine Joe)!! ::) ;D ;D

suffolkclean

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »
Looks like were now very close to ordering the scorpion Joe, the machine manufacturer is going to source the in-line heater & despatch it with the machine, hoses etc so thats great news. Just waiting on the final figure then we'll hopefully order on Monday for delivery in November. ;D

Joe H

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 06:14:29 pm »
Dont forget to mention my name to Solutions.

As there unpaid and unofficial part time sales manager I always look for a good commission.  ;D

How am I doing Ian.

suffolkclean

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2010, 07:03:31 pm »
Don't worry Joe I already have but I will remind them on Monday when I place the order I will re-mention you! ;) ;D

Grant Whyte

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
Hi Craig

Been following thread with much interest as deciding to upgrade too and keep powermax as back up. Did you look at any other machines and what clinched the deal for you re. scorpion?

Be helpful to know mate

Grant

suffolkclean

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »
Hi Grant, with Joes recommendation Craig looked into various posts on here,the  internet & you tube videos & was very impressed. We have now realised there are other portables out there that are better than our main machine. We have to move with technology & always aim for the best result possible, we feel this machine will give us this without going for a truckmount.  If its no good Joe is in BIG trouble !! We can keep you posted with the results on his 1st clean.
Barbara

Grant Whyte

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 11:34:23 pm »
Barbara

Thanks for the feedback, I'm also not yet ready nor interested in a TM system, but really keen to improve on the productivity and final result of our h/w extraction carpet cleaning which I think a high powered portable will achieve. It's the option of working with the machine on the van with higher spray and extraction power that interests me. I've been pleased with our Powermax and now looking for that extra edge which I'm sure a machine like yours will provide.

Let us know how it goes, I'm pretty close to a decision on my own upgrade but trying to do it in combination with an improvement on the pre vac, spray, agitation options - for this purpose looking at a flexi 5 and envirodri this week.

Thanks

Grant

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 11:41:48 pm »
I would be interested into what heating Solution , Solutions came up with ?

Are you van mounting etc