Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

suffolkclean

Need a back up machine what do you recommend?
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:06:12 pm »
We have a steampro 2000 powermax which has been sent off for repairs thinks its the pump, we need a back up machine what would you recommend .
Also after an envirodry machine new at the best price possible  ;) who do you recommend
Thanks
Barbara

Steve. Taylor

Re: Need a back up machine what do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:19:47 pm »
Barbara no mention on budget so difficult to recommend back up machine.

You could buy a spare pump & motor for a lot less just a thought also find someone to maintain machine local so you dont have to send it off
Steve T       All the gear but no idea!
www.leatherrepairsouthampton.co.uk

suffolkclean

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:14 pm »
Hi Steve yes sorry maybe didn't explain it properly, we do use a local company they are about half hour drive from us & offer a collection service, they've taken it away & will have a look at it for us see what needs done. We don't want to be left without a machine so need a back up for times like this.
B

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:15:28 pm »
Get a Scorpion and use the Prochem as your backup. The Prochem wont see much use.

Have you contacted Envirodri re the crb. In Kent.

suffolkclean

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
Is this the scorpion your talking about joe?

Scorpion 3 Super-Charged "XPS"

Price: £2,550.00 
Triple 3-Stage Vacuum & 500psi, Quad-cell Piston Pump 

Joe H

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:03:39 pm »
Thats the one, its a US machine and sells well there. Been on the UK market 6 maybe 7 years and is well tried and tested.
I the US the machine is called a Recoil - here is a youtube video, the machine is mounted in the back of a "truck" but of course you can work from the door.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEA-HMkndAg

suffolkclean

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
Thanks Joe my husband loves the look of this machine, he's definetely going to look into it. Do you have one? Do you know how it heats the water up is it inline?

Paul Simpson

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:41:23 pm »
Agree with Joe, great machine, got a used one about 3 weeks ago replacing my Ninja, wish I'd done it years ago.
To answer your question about the heater, it doesn't have one.  :(
That was one thing putting me off it at first, although you can use an inline heater with it. But to be honest I havn't missed the heat at all so far and would rather have the extra vacuum power for longer runs and quicker drying times, and if need be I still have my Perfect heat extractor as back up.

peter maybury

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »
if you already have a steampro why not consider going truckmounted. I have been in the industry 20 odd years and have a steampro and ninja as backup machines the scorpian does not heat the water and to do the job properly you need hot water. I am in the lucky situation of having a truckmount good potables, low moisture, dryfoam and recently the texatherm systems. The most most used system on a daily basis is the truckmount. If I want to turn the temperature down on the truckmount ok. If I need more heat on the portable then it is a different case.
A lot of people will reply that they dont need a truckmount and can do anything with this or that, or cold water but that is rubbish.
One of the cleaning companies that I get a lot of work off has a scorpian  and the reason is that it is pants compared to a truckmount. If you want to clean hot at high pressure and volume then you add a lot of money to the cost of the scorpian.
 If you like the idea of truckmount go truckmount and bring a new dimension into your business. I have a job this week that I may have to take one of the portable out for the first time in 3 months.  

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »
There's some very good machines at www.cleansmart.co.uk also

Shaun

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:01 am »
Thanks Joe my husband loves the look of this machine, he's definetely going to look into it. Do you have one? Do you know how it heats the water up is it inline?

Yes I do have one Barbara, and it works very well. It does not have a onboard heater but you can get an in-line heater. If you run an onboard heater too high temperature you can damage the pump. An in-line can be placed nearer the wand so heat is not lost going down the solution line.
On smaller jobs I dont use my heater, just rely on moderately hot tap water in the tank.
Hot prespray is always useful.

Scorpion has many good features. Semi translucent tanks so you can see how much clean water you have left, and how much dirty water is in (for when it needs empyting). These levels can be seen at a distance - no need to get to machine and lift lids just to see.  Also in the clean water tank the suction tube and return relief pressure tube are long enough to dangle outside the tank into a bucket. This means you can prespray with your chosen fluid, then put hoses back into tank to rinse with clean water. Again, on smaller jobs I just use the busket system with water in for rinsing - saves draining excess clean water when it comes to lifting machine into van.

Good quality Lamb Ametek vac motors (3) and a good quality 500psi pump (which I believe will go nearer to 600, but who needs that on carpet cleaning, I go to 400 max.

Peter is correct what he says about truck mounts, but the lowest priced tm, the Prowler, is twice the price of the Scorpion, and the machines Peter is talking about I suggest wiil be getting on to 4 times the cost - and you need a bigger van.

Yes I have a Prowler, and it does have performance better then the Scorpion, but I can get a very good clean from the Scorpion although it may take a little longer,

The issue of heat, high heat, has been debated on hers until there is no more to debate.
Just want to add though, if you use detergents hot watr cleaning is very desirable.
If you use eco friendly fluids its not that important to rinse with hot, hot prespray is the order of the day but you can, and many do (but not I0 rinse wit cold water and get excellent results.

Am I right in saying your business is much around domestic house cleaning and you are slowly expanding into carpet cleaning more?
Unless you going to go flat out for the carpet cleaning I would suggest a tm is way above your needs. But get a high performance good quality portable - life becomes easier.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »
Joe as Soloutions sales manger ##

Can you do 100ffet of lightwieight 2 inch hose 25ft solution hose

Butane Heater  for £2700? plus top of range scorpion with auto fill and pump out

new

suffolkclean

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:06 pm »
Many thanks for all your posts, Joe we started 3 1/2 years ago doing carpet cleaning which is when we bought our steampro, we also offer other cleaning services, we did do regular domestic cleaning for 18 months when we first started but chose to stop this due to high levels of organisation etc & isn't a very profitable service to offer. I have contacted the company you recommended Joe & they knew of you straight away  ;D! John is comming back to me as Nick is on holiday.
Ian I will get my husband to look at your price etc when he gets back - Thanks
B

suffolkclean

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:43:09 pm »
Hi Ian
I've done a google search to get tel. no & can't find it can u let me know his number please.
Many Thanks
B

Joe H

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:45:39 pm »
Ian

Can I be sales manager for the Prowler as well.  Double me money.  ;D
Because if someone asks me how do I find the Prowler to work with, and I do get personal mail asking me, I answer them just as honestly as I do the Scorpion questions.

It used to amuse me when cynics on here knocked the Scorpion for not having a heater, even tho they knew inline heaters were available and have advantages.

Now Matt has his triple vac on the market with no on board heater - all seems to be quiet, nothing said.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 11:35:37 pm »
Barbara

I have not got a Scorpion for sale i was pulling Joe leg

But Joe made me look at the  Utube

I have always liked ED Valintine the boss of Cross America
He took on Major Jim ;D ;D ten years ago
I like his Butane Heater idea  so I thought if  Joe who is a hard Northern Negotiator could swing the deal to my spec

Joe  you really should be on Commission for both Companies

Joe problem with heat arquement is if you have not got it you would wonder if you are missing it.

I certainly would after watching Cross America Butane Heater   My look at that Steam That pretty hot just look at it cut away that dirt

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:43:12 pm »
Ian the steam looks good because of 2 reasons

1. it is hot
2. the jets are too small and it creates vapour

Shaun

PS Joe gets a hard deal with the Solutions thing but also he should have learned by now, am I having a pop at Joe? No not meaning to but as Eric Morcambe used to say "same notes but in a different order"

Rob Allen

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 01:32:16 am »
   I really like the new El Diablo by Masterblend that I picked up. But if you need to save money why not an Amtex? Ben is a great guy and has very reasonable prices.

Rob Allen
www.ridealongseries.com

Joe H

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:17 am »
Ian
I know of cleaners who can prespray hot then rinse with cold and get good results.
I am not one of them.
I like hot prespray and hot rinse.
When I use the Scorpion I put warm water in the tank (say up to 60degree). Sometimes onsmall jobs that "tank" is a bucket and I dangle the pump suction hose into the bucket and work from that, topping up if necessary.
Bigger jobs, use the clean water tank.
Having warm water in tank helps the inline heater get really hot water as said on other posts.

Shaun
The have been too many comments from cleaners who have no experiance of what they are commenting about. This is not really helpful to any reader wanting advice.  If I have tried something or better still have owned something, then I will comment fully on it to the best of my abilty. 
A lot has been said on here about the Scorpion in the past which has been very unfair.

If it seems its the "same notes but in a different order", is there anything wrong with that. You may have heard it before but there are newcomers on the forum virtually every day - so it is new notes to them.

I will always stick up for what is right, fair, and just, and from the personal emails and phone calls I get it appears a lot of carpet cleaners appreciate that.

peter maybury

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:59:13 pm »
I do find it difficult when every customer, washes clothes and realises that you do not get as good results with cooler washing that you can on a hot wash. Do you seriously think that you can convince your customers or yourselves that you can wash dirty clothes at a lower temperature and get good results at lower temperatures. The washing detergent market is worth billions of pounds there are some massive worldwide brands spending fortunes on research and development of new products, with this behind them they cannot reverse the chemistry they cannot rewrite science. If you use low temprature shampoos then you do seletive wash cycles and put aside the dirty wash to do at higher temperatures.
If your carpet cleaning experience is people titivating their furnishings periodically, when they really do not need a deep clean then you are very lucky. My experince over the last 20 years is, night clubs, pubs, hotels, conference centres, trains, ships, offices, houses, restaurants, nursing homes, where the carpets are dirty and do require a really good clean.
Ok if I come across a clean j0ob every now and again I could always get the vax out or let a cleaning company do the job themselve with their scorpian. If you want something with with the power of a truckmount that you can leave in a van then buy a truckmount. I know, I have not always had a truckmount. Would I go back? I do not think so
Give me my truckmount for 95. jobs out of 100
Peter
http://www.truckmountcarpetcleaner.co.uk/