This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

STEVE71163

How often do you change your rubbers?
« on: January 04, 2004, 10:55:58 pm »
I was talking to a few window cleaners on Saturday and it got onto the subject of squeegee rubbers (The best ones) and how often we change them. I change my main one every other day to cut down on the tidying up afterwards and one of them said he changes his about once a month ::)  What do you guys think ???

Steve

jonesy5

Re: How often do you change your rubbers?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 11:06:27 pm »
about every two weeks    wish i was your supplier steve  :D

Mikey Warner

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 11:18:48 pm »
I flip mine over at dinner and then bung a new one in next day (all depending on how much of a beating it got that day) is that too often?? ??? ???

I don't chuck them tho, i keep them for doing the windows on builders cleans ;D ;D then chuck them because of the chemicals.

Mikey

Majestic

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 12:03:02 am »
Every  day,
 I use a 14 inch , then cut it down to a 12 inch to use the next day .
I have found Pulex soft are  the best to use . 8)

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:53:18 am »
must admit, and i will look a cheapskate here, i change mine every few weeks (though saying that i only work a 3 day week)

david wood

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 01:29:07 am »
hi i change mine every 2 or 3 weeks turning it round half way through it is nice to put a new one in after that though but i really think changing them daily is shame as they have a lot more life in them than that ;D ;D ;Di iam going to stock up soon and change them weekly

Polepro

Re: How often do you change your rubbers? New
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 10:46:59 am »
Changed mine every other day, and turned it every other day so that I had a fresh side each day. I found that my windows stayed cleaner longer that way as a sharp edge takes the soapy water off better that a dull one. Also notice how a new rubber glides over the glass, this takes less effort so I get to clean a few more windows per day, more than pays for a new rubber.

Anyway when you can make upwards of £100 per day don't your customers deserve the small investment in a new rubber?

Tom

denzle

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 03:53:15 pm »
I'm with Bones on this one, I change mine midday and bin it at the end of the day. There is nothing better than starting with a fresh, sharp edge at the beginning of the day. At £1:20 per 36" length thats a mere 40p and when you consider what that 40p is earning you, i figure i can afford it.... call me Mr extravogant.
Denzle

STEVE71163

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 05:11:26 pm »
I am glad you guys do the same because i was beginning to think i was the only one. ::) After fitting a new blade i turn it around at the end of the day and then bin it the next but i think i will start changing completely daily because as Denzle says whats 40p.

Steve

paul

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 05:18:12 pm »
we usally change them daily but if there still giving a perfect finish we use them a bit longer

g_griffin

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 10:46:14 pm »
I`m glad you mentioned this. I used to change the rubber every few days, sometimes longer but now I change it daily and now I can use gg4 with no problems. I went back to fairy but it was a pain and I still had some gg4 left so kept trying it. I`ve said before that sometimes it was great and others awful but I now realise that this was when the rubber started to wear/dull.
I know that an old rubber and fairy(ooh err) can cause problems but gg4 is alot less forgiving.
 It`s worth changing daily for better glide and minimal detailing and the extra money you make is far greater than the cost of a new rubber.
      Gerry.
   ps someone suggested changing my rubber when I first asked about my gg4 troubles but I suppose I was being a stubborn old skinflint  :-[

Pdh

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 05:04:15 pm »
ive been window cleaning 25 years so to all who change rubbers on a daily basis ,send them to me i reckon theres hell of alot of wear left in them i change every 2wks {pulex} and i work mine hard,make sure you just use them on windows not sills. im a tight sod.so give me a price.

fez

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 06:25:05 pm »
I change mine every other day, however I've just bought an Unger 10" S channel and it came with a hard rubber. It has lasted much longer than my usual soft rubbers and I can't tell the difference in either technique or finish.

Anyone here use hard rubber all the time?

denzle

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 07:09:03 pm »
Not all the time during the colder months, but all the time during the summer or if we run low on soft rubber.
I don't find a tremendous amount of difference personally but my guys swear by it so thats what i buy.
Denzle

g_griffin

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 08:26:47 pm »
Try changing them every day,you`ll notice the difference. Even if you`re tight the rubber will pay for its self and more. Go on go mad  ;D
  You could try cutting the rubber into strips(12" or 14") change daily, but don`t throw away at the end of the day and if you don`t notice any difference you could always use them again and it hasn`t cost you anything.

Denzle,
               Where do you get 36" rubber from for 1.20?

Fez,
                How do you find the 10" squeegee?
         I do a lot of narrow windows and found the 12'' a bit tight, so I cut an old channel down to about 10" and find it`s great and I use this on most windows now.

Cheers,

Gerry.

karlosdaze

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 08:30:14 pm »

Anyone here use hard rubber all the time?

Yes, I find they last longer, and I'm surprised you say there is no difference from soft to hard. Most soft users say they have trouble with hard rubbers, especially with GG4. :o Are you using GG4?

g_griffin

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 08:52:32 pm »
Karlos,

I agree. I had loads of trouble with gg4 but switched to Pulex soft which I change every day and have no problems at all now.
        I can`t believe the fuss about a piece of rubber considering the price ( I`m a hypocrite, I know).
        Don`t think about the cost, just think that you have to do an extra window,maybe two, a day to pay for it.
       With smoother glide and less detailing (and mopping with gg4) you will be doing more than one or two extra windows.

Gerry.

paul w

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004, 09:22:34 pm »
i change mine 2-3 weeks or when thay split. and have done for last 18 years.but must admit when you put new blade on its a better fill so will try once a week. also must admit i do use a 6' 10' 12' 14' 18inch squeegee as for soft and hard rubbers i remember working with an old boy when i started and i could not get on with soft rubbers so he told me to take a channel clip out .it worked and i still keep one out. ::) ::) :P ;D
pane in the glASS

Mikey Warner

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004, 11:01:36 pm »

Yes, I find they last longer, and I'm surprised you say there is no difference from soft to hard. Most soft users say they have trouble with hard rubbers, especially with GG4. :o Are you using GG4?

Since i started i have always used hard rubbers and GG4. Found it a struggle at first but then thought as you guy's were having probs with GG4 i'd stick with it. Glad I did ;D Don't seem to find any problem with GG4 and hard rubbers now.

Mikey

denzle

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004, 11:04:49 pm »
Gerry,
I get my rubber from Darren at the Window Clean Centre, just bought 75 x 36" pulex soft rubber for .99p each plus VAT. It was a special offer but he's not that expensive anyway.
If you want his number let me know, he give's  good service too.
Denzle