This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

DASERVICES

DAILY MAIL ARTICLE
« on: September 19, 2005, 11:56:32 am »

Has anyone seen the letter's column in the Daily Mail with the window cleaner
  having a go at WFP.

Moderator David@stives

Re: DAILY MAIL ARTICLE
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:04:26 pm »
dai

no i havent i will get it later ,is it todays.

can you copy any of it

dave

DASERVICES

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 12:16:52 pm »

Yes it is today's ,sorry cannot copy no scanner.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 04:01:59 pm »
Here is the transcript

"Crig Mawlem of the bwca says w/c must change with the times and learn how to use wfp . He promotes wfp in a pro w/c mag and he is the w/c rep who is in talks with the hse helping to pass new regs

Mr Mawlam is also the MD of a wfp company .i dont disagree that window cleaners must move with the times ,but ladders still have there place especially in the domestic sector where customers want an higher standard of cleaning than that normally required by the office and industrial customer who seem to accept the streaks and runs which can be left by wfp .
there are plenty of domestic properties where access with wfp is impossible-and it isn`t  illegal for w/c to use ladders
As a pro domestic w/c, i take my job seriously, i wouldn`t use a standard diy ladder which gives no protection from sideways movement and might damage a customers window frames. a pro uses an A-frame with splayed feet and a rubber block at the top.
perhaps its up to the w/c industry to educate the domestic customer that the wfp is a safer way to clean windows-and to accept a lower standard of cleaning until the industry comes up with a method that does not leave streaks and smears"  end Quote

Please note these are not my words but are out of the Mail  19/9/05

dave

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 04:03:58 pm »
There is also a photograph of  Ian Douglas window cleaner holding what looks like a diy ladder   ???

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 04:13:01 pm »
Hi, Dave - is that letter written in the paper exactly as you've shown it? With the spelling/typing errors etc?
It's a game of three halves!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 04:20:30 pm »
no i rushed it i will check it now

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 04:39:04 pm »
HI everyone,

As usual I am going to say my ten pence worth now.

Firstly, that person probably does not have any commercial work, because all the commercial contracts I have and have had are pickier than domestic customers.

I have never had a streak or a run in any of my domestic customer’s windows (or commercial for that matter). In addition to this, about 1 in 20 of my first cleans may have the very odd bit of spotting.

I always ask my clients after the first clean if they are happy with the results. Each and every one of them have been more than happy. Time and time again, I get complimented on how clean and shinny their windows are and they wish they would have had my services earlier.

Again, I also have comments from my clients saying, ‘Our windows really do stay clean for longer’.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am not knocking traditional window cleaner, but I do hold safety in high regard. But what does annoy me, are peoples comments on WFP, who: -

1)   Has not used the equipment
2)   Has not learnt how to use the equipment or been suitably trained
3)   Has used it poorly and not kept their TD’s rating at 0
4)   Will not put their hand in their pocket and invest in their safety.

Just like the first news report WFP cannot remove bird S**t, however, as proven on the second report, it will remove eggs.

Well I will stop here before I really rant on.

Andrew

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 04:54:12 pm »
Andrew - why not write a letter to the mail?

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 05:13:52 pm »
letters@dailymail.co.uk

I anyone agrieved should send in a complaint, on the above e mail adress

dave

dai

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 08:21:55 pm »
One of my customers who I was just about to do for the first WFP clean, came out and showed me the article this morning.
The problem is that some people think if it's in the paper it must be true.
I explained to her that allthough she may not have seen a WFP in use before, they had in fact been used for years. Hundreds of WC'S up and down the country use WFP for domestic work. I said "do you think that clients continue to pay a WC year after year to leave streaks and runs on their windows?"
All this arguing is not helping anyone though is it? It's the last thing you need when your going round with a WFP for the first time.
There is too much talk about non existant cowboys. If some guy uses newspaper,[not the daily Mail]and vinegar to clean windows, what the hell. If he can produce work to a standard that the client is prepared to pay for, that's all that matters.
A guy could buy himself a brand new Merc van and all the latest WFP gear, without experience, that will not make him anymore of a proffessional WC than a L.F.C. kit would make me Stephen Gerrard. DAI

mark f

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 09:02:26 pm »
didnt think the mail article slated wfp at all

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 09:07:10 pm »
read it and weep boy

where customers want an higher standard of cleaning than that normally required by the office and industrial customer who seem to accept the streaks and runs which can be left by wfp .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Dave   ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 09:52:01 pm »
The guy in the Daily Wail :D letters page (Ian Douglas I think his name was) bangs on about using prodessional A -frame ladders with splayed feet and rubber top etc and is photographed leaning against a black rubbered (DIY) ladder with thin round rungs! ;D ;D ;D

His comments are pure luddite muppetry - I clean residential I do not leave smears and runs (or squeegee "kicks") and I have not lost one singlecustomer by going wfp. I think this is because I used the advice on this site:-

1. Tell'em what you're gonna do and why - in writing. (Wfp cuz of Safety, WAHD, Insurance)
2. Do what you told'em you were gonna do - properly. (Wfp well and throroughly - it ain't a magic wand)
3. Keep doing what you told'em you were gonna do. (Wfp professionally every time)

rosskesava

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 10:39:47 pm »
Anyone who thinks the Daily Mail, like most papers but the Mail especially, writes anything worth reading is mistaken.

The papers are all about circulation figures and advertising.

News in all papers is slanted to whatever they want it read as.

The Mail has taken over from the Sun as the Daily Trollop of biased garbage designed to sound informative. It oozes intrigue and upset just like a soap opera.

I would not give what they write the time of day other than to read a headline and the first paragraph and then only with a pinch of salt.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 10:56:34 pm »
Correct Ross.

If you want to read facts buy the Sport. :D

I did mean facts didn't I?

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 10:59:26 pm »
The Sport

Best headline this year was 'Cherries bum loving husband dies after 3 pints'.

Could have been about wfp couldn't it?

Ian_Giles

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2005, 06:30:21 am »
I've read the letters page and replied...Outraged of Chepstow ;D

Of course I doubt I'll get printed, but you never know!

I'm sure they will print a reply of somebody's at some point :-\

I hope!

Regards

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 01:25:26 pm »
here was my reply from the Mail

Dear Mr Morris,

You have a point to make in the course of an on-going discussion. This
doesn't really constitute a 'complaint' - your opinion on the subject,
either way, is like any other.

The subject hasn't gone away and you can watch the Readers' Letters
pages in future for further opinions.

Thank you for your interest in writing.

AKS.

Dave

Ian_Giles

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 11:17:28 pm »
I had a reply from aks too ;D, told me that my own little missive was going to be printed in Thursdays Daily Mail....

We shall see, if they do print it, I wonder how heavily they edit readers letters?

Regards,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES