This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Q.R.C.S

tax declaration
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »
 im new to been self employed and dont want to get into trouble when it comes to filling in my self accesment,
so im just wondering how everyone else logs/files there income!

this is what im thinking of doing, writing this down each week on a peice of paper...

Money earned for week ending sat 2/10/10

then a list of all my customers that week with how much they paid me, and a total £ underneath that!

is it really nessarcary to write all this down every week? or can i just get away with giving a total earnings on my tax return each year?

thankyou in advance for taking the time to answer me!

Wc Solutions

Re: tax declaration
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:57:39 pm »
one word: accountant

Q.R.C.S

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 05:00:36 pm »
but i cant afford an accountant yet im only just started! what does everyone else do to keep records of income?

Wc Solutions

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 05:05:54 pm »
ok - use a spread sheet and do your own accounts ... then use an accountant to fill in your tax forms and go through the accounts - only be around £30 - £50 for that.

look for a small local accountant that works from home ...

erithwc

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »
hi

you need an accountant for what it would cost you it will be money well spent, a good accountant can save you loads of money and will reduce your tax bill

Rob Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »
hi

you need an accountant for what it would cost you it will be money well spent, a good accountant can save you loads of money and will reduce your tax bill

Agree completely. A good accountant will save you money in the long run.  Arrange a meeting with one (prob free) and he/she can tell you what they want you to do. Shouldn't cost anything to start of.

With regards to records just keep details of all cleans, money and expenses (receipts).

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »
im new to been self employed and dont want to get into trouble when it comes to filling in my self accesment,
so im just wondering how everyone else logs/files there income!

this is what im thinking of doing, writing this down each week on a peice of paper...

Money earned for week ending sat 2/10/10

then a list of all my customers that week with how much they paid me, and a total £ underneath that!

is it really nessarcary to write all this down every week? or can i just get away with giving a total earnings on my tax return each year?

thankyou in advance for taking the time to answer me!

Use a spreadsheet.
I keep details of every transaction on one in MS Works.
I start top left with the first day of my accounting year and work from there.
First three Columns "DATE"  "ADDRESS" "PRICE"  Second three columns "DATE"  "ADDRESS" "PRICE" again up to the end of month one.  ! allow the column to be 30 rows (doubt I will do any more jobs than that in a day).
Underneath the first price column (around row 35) I have the formula =sum(c3:c35) .  That will give your total for day 1.   In the f column I have =sum(f3:f35) etc etc (you can paste them in when setting up a sheet and the column should change with each paste).
For month 2 I start at cell A41 as I leave a few rows blank between the months for clarity.
Over to the right of the spreadsheet I list a summary of each month broken down into days with their totals.  This is the bit I print out for the accountant.  He is not interested in seeing the individual transactions.
It sounds complex but it's quite simple really.
The beauty of it is that I just paste the sheet into the following years sheet and empty the data by pasting a blank cell into all the individual transaction cells.  No need to set it all up again.  I should really set up a template I suppose.
Because I make it easy for my accountant, his fees aren't so huge.

Q.R.C.S

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:07:17 pm »
thankyou so much for the time taken to answer my question!
I thinki'll try and figure out how spreadsheets work!

thanks again, Q

chopsie

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 08:11:30 pm »
get George its easier  ;) only £50
chopsie

Q.R.C.S

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 08:29:07 pm »
ok i'll look into george too, thanks.

gewindows

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:30:24 pm »
Tax declaration, whats that?

DanC

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 08:31:39 pm »
How do you know when you have a good acountant??

Who's to say they have done it right, unless of course you check it over, in which case what would be the point of having an accountant if you did that?? ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:30:59 am »
How do you know when you have a good acountant??

Who's to say they have done it right, unless of course you check it over, in which case what would be the point of having an accountant if you did that?? ;D

One who works for a fiver an hour and doesn't wake you up when he drops your paperwork through the letter box.