This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SherwoodCleaningSe

Rain water collection
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:27 pm »
I'm looking to set up a rain water collection system as I'm now on a meter and it's costing a small fortune.  I know a few on here have done it before so I'm after some advice really.

I have my IBC in a shed at the end of my garden and a down pipe that collects the majority of the water from the house roof.  The length of the garden is about 30ft.  So I'm looking to cut into the gutter high up and then transfer with garden hose to the IBC letting gravity do the work, using filter floss and DI to polish off the water before the IBC.

The thing I really need some help on though is not flooding the shed out when the IBC is full, so I'm thinking of a solenoid valve connected to a float switch.  Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so where did you get the parts.  I know Jeff Brimbles probably the man but I'm well open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

Perfect Windows

Re: Rain water collection
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:30:13 pm »
Obviously I can't visualise your setup, but how about a simple overflow in the side at the top of the IBC, running through a hose into a drain/the garden?

It might be it's not possible given your layout, but if it is, it's simple and pretty foolproof.  As long at the overflow pipe is the same diameter as (or preferably bigger than) the inflow, there should be no problem.

Vin

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 11:03:08 pm »
Thats a good idea and I must admit that I hadn't thought of it.  Simple idea's are normally the best.  Only problem would be that DI resin would be constantly used up, however a ball valve would help to save some resin.

Simon.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:58 pm »
Why not polish with the d.i after ibc tank, via pump into mobile van mounted tank?

That way you can keep an eye on the ppm on the tds! but it depends on how your planning on tranfering the harvested rain water from your shed to your van i suppose

Regards g.b

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:19 am »
I use 1 inch hose and a 280 lpm sub pump, might be a bit fast. I don't even have enough room on my truck for di. Suppose I could recycle the water in the ibc through di with a smaller pump.

chris3234

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:16 pm »
Whilst on this subject,could anyone suggest what size di for a tds of 45ppm please.
Cheers