Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

joshem

Cleaning a school
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:12:01 pm »
I had a look around a primary school today. It's pretty big with a lot of windows. Going round pricing the windows I came to £420 which is a heck of a lot of money especially as they probably have a tight budget. I think it would take a good day to clean with my window cleaning partner. I know it's very difficult to say but what would you lot say? Does anyone clean anything like a school/college etc? How often should I offer, 4, 8, 12 weekly? I haven't quoted them yet as I said I would put it in writing. I am a bit lost...

Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

CLEANCARE WC

Re: Cleaning a school
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »
They will probably only want it done twice a year max, more than likely only once. Thats my experience of schools/ colleges anyway.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:10 pm »
You'll be lucky if they require more than once a year - and with the budget cuts coming very soon it may not even
happen that often,
i can't say if your price is high/low - only you know if the price makes it worth while.

Some of the schools i've quoted have a yearly in/out and of these some have not been done for upto 5 years.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

outdoor restore

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:51 pm »
I have two regular (twice a year) primary schools and have also done about 9-10 "one offs" for primary schools.  I now quote a first clean price and a discount for 6 monthly clean.

joshem

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:14 pm »
Of course every school is different but could you lads give me an idea of what you charge?

outdoor restore

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »
Of course every school is different but could you lads give me an idea of what you charge?
As they are all so different I don't think it would help you much.  The dozen or so I have done in the last two years have ranged from £145 - £850 external only with maybe a few high internals

Nameless Drudge

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »
Do the schools or someone within make the decision on who cleans the windows and at what price or is it the  local authority?

wightsurf

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:00 pm »
I would say you have the right figure in mind if it is going to take 2 of you a day to finish.With our council we have to have the insurance underwriten to the value of 10 million which the school wanted a copy of so it might pay to check .

It's the schools here brennan

joshem

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:19 pm »
Presume it's within the school. Reception told me to address my letter to the maintenance bloke...

britishwill

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:46:19 pm »
I charged £495 for my school but they only want it as a one off. I would be very suprised if they wanted it more often.
Charge a a one off with some discount.
Ow you may need a CRB check as well.

mci services

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:48:51 pm »
joshem did you do a window count? not that it matters but you may find it will not take as long as you think, in one spot for the best part of a day with no travelling, you can do a lot more windows than if moving from job to job, can you explain how you came to the price of £420

joshem

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:20 pm »
I started counting windows but as they're so large and varied I stopped as thought "well what's a window?" In the end I just imagined how long each section would take and charged accordingly. There's a heck of a lot of windows and they're filthy...

outdoor restore

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:53:37 pm »
Presume it's within the school. Reception told me to address my letter to the maintenance bloke...

In my area it is the school's decision but payment is through the County Council, need to be registered as a supplier, £5m PL and although I do most of mine out of school hours, one school insisted on seeing my CRB.  I would address correspondence to the Headteacher and include copies of insurance, and maybe a generic risk assessment and method statement saying site specific documents will be supplied prior to start of work.  
Did the school approach you or did you canvass it, may be worth having a word with the maintenance bloke to see when they were last done etc.

deeege

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:55 pm »
I clean 2 schools. 1 is private and is cleaned 11 times per year (not cleaned in July only) and the other is cleaned 3 times per year. Have also quoted 2 other schools this summer as one offs but didn't get one and still waiting to hear on the other.

Clean frequency is a question you need to be asking when you inspect site.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

formb

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 12:17:10 pm »
I do a few schools, they are quarterly (school holidays) as access is needed throughout the building.

It's great in the summer, bit of a pain at Christmas.

We set ours to be done in 1 day (2 schools in one day if they are smaller) then work out a daily rate.