Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mci services

Re: Low image of window cleaners or myth?
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2010, 11:40:13 pm »
Well at least the but n ben would have clean windows then!

aye the broons were always manky beggars ;) the state of that but n ben was terrible,

What a wid gie tae see that Daphne in the skud :o

she wis the fat yin, maggie was the tidy yin :D

prestige cleaners

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 11:53:09 pm »
It's funny how some are embarrassed saying they're a wc, I'm embarrassed because people think I'm rolling in it when I say it.

cozy

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
Dave, long time, no type, hope you are well and everything is good in the land of clogs. ;)

When I first started in this WC game, I must have had a huge chip on my shoulder. I'd just been made redundant or sacked (Can't remember now) from a high paid driving job between Germany and Tunisia. Really interesting and fun filled job.

Suddenly I was a window polisher. All my custies were in more interesting high paid jobs and I was polishing glass. Had loads of issues with it and I used to kick custies into touch just for looking at me in the wrong way.

After 20 years, give or take, I just see this malarky as a way of earning as much as possible in the shortest possible time and minimum effort. If my custies all thought I was a complete Geordie, I couldn't give a blinded toss.

I love it when the people living close by wonder where the hell I earn enough money in such a short amount of days in a month. Image, under peers, to someone new to this game, must be important. I can understand that view, it's just not mine. I don't mean business image, that IS important, but who really cares what your street thinks of you?

As I see it at the moment, my custies seem to think we are proffs, and don't treat us with contempt.

I've probably got more yesterdays than tomorrows, I'm 52. So stuff what others think of my business. Just so long as they pay.

KLEENAWAY

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2010, 12:04:45 am »
I like people thinking they are too good for window cleaning....more money for me and less competition! Let them think we are all dummies, i dont mind  ;)

Neil271052

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2010, 07:12:22 am »
TBH I think anybody who cleans windows for a living is a useful if fairly lowly member of society and I'm one myself.

When low image is thought about it is not always about the money as some folks on here seem to think it is how one is reckoned by their peers.

Nurses, teachers and folks in the forces all probably earn much less than us but  are probably looked on with more esteem than a window cleaner and rightly so IMO.

Does cleaning a bit of dirt off glass make us the more valuable?

I think not.

At the end of the day it is a pretty non essential job that requires no study or exams for hence possibly the lowly status, brand new van or not.  ;)
you can f*** off pal................

You have gone a long way to reinforcing the stereotype of the window cleaner unfortunately.  :(

Cheers,
Neil

Neil271052

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2010, 07:20:20 am »
There has been some very interesting input into the debate IMO.

Some very constructive and understanding of how the "low image" originated and who are trying their utmost to present a very professional and modern front. 

Others very defensive who considered the OP's post  something of a slur.

As I say I am a window cleaner myself, just me and my youngest son and it is usually a great job apart from the usual niggles we all get.

Looks like rain today.  ::)
Cheers,
Neil

G Griffin

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2010, 08:02:58 am »
 Rain? Bookies and pub for me then. Oh yes  ;).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

gordonswindows

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2010, 01:19:20 pm »
Stop it stop it stop it

Be proud of whatever you do. If you get paid for a job you are a professional.

How dare you be embarrassed about your title, that brings people to think I too am embarrassed, how can you not be proud?

You get up every day and "make" your own money, not like some cheif executive who was given a job and who can be sacked or the prime minister who will sometime lose his job or the doctor who owes his career to us the NHS bill payer.....

Listen if it is your own job your own firm your own business hold your head up high and be proud goodness me have you all forgotten how hard it was to begin?

No cushy job for life "i have rights" you can't sack me position for us no we have to find earn and keep OUR clients on our own.

Embarrassed? cos you have the b.a.l.l.s. to go it alone, to take the responsibility to feed cloth and put a roof over your partner, your kids? PROUD PROUD be very proud

Wait where is that old ladder i had.....i am going up to the roof (with a harness of course) to shout out I AM A WINDOW CLEANER AND I AM PROUD OF IT, oh and usually have the fanciest car in the car park helps too

Gordon
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

the bfg

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2010, 02:20:38 pm »
Stop it stop it stop it

Be proud of whatever you do. If you get paid for a job you are a professional.

How dare you be embarrassed about your title, that brings people to think I too am embarrassed, how can you not be proud?

You get up every day and "make" your own money, not like some cheif executive who was given a job and who can be sacked or the prime minister who will sometime lose his job or the doctor who owes his career to us the NHS bill payer.....

Listen if it is your own job your own firm your own business hold your head up high and be proud goodness me have you all forgotten how hard it was to begin?

No cushy job for life "i have rights" you can't sack me position for us no we have to find earn and keep OUR clients on our own.

Embarrassed? cos you have the b.a.l.l.s. to go it alone, to take the responsibility to feed cloth and put a roof over your partner, your kids? PROUD PROUD be very proud

Wait where is that old ladder i had.....i am going up to the roof (with a harness of course) to shout out I AM A WINDOW CLEANER AND I AM PROUD OF IT, oh and usually have the fanciest car in the car park helps too

Gordon

well said Flashy lad,   no one forced me to be a window cleaning contractor,   it was all my owm choice after working 19 years of shift work making someone else rich.

all my customers know my name and 90% are more than glad to see me,   Ive even managed to make the grumpy ones ( and we all have a few of them )  smile every once in a while  which is an achievement in its own right  ;D ;D

I provide the best possible service to my customers and I'm so proud of where I am in life,   I get a pay rise every month and wwather permitting I will get a Xmas bonus better than any other job Ive done and I'm a window cleaner and proud of it

the only downside to it all is    that I come on forums and chat with like minded people  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
Gordons - you had me going there! I was just about to say "that's the spirit!" when you showed off your insecurities by mentioning "having the flashiest car".

I'm disappointed mate ... I thought your personal pride was intrinsic and that you were above all that.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2010, 05:40:33 pm »
Huh you can talk, as if you don't wear your ego on your sleeve, but yes bragging and being superior about your earnings is the very prejudice that you are objecting too.

The bloke who owned sedgeway died today (the things people ride instead of walking) he drove off a cliff on one.But twenty years ago he was a miner, and was made redundant at the time of the big strike.That's about when i started too.

He had the idea of bastions, that's the metal frames with rocks in you see bolstering the side of some motorways.He made hundreds of millions from the idea because they have been much needed in wars.

gordonswindows

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »
Oh no i have blown it now, I have disappointed Gold

I'll get my coat
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2010, 07:34:15 pm »
Read the earlier post earlier in the thread by mclean- or google- the touch of the masters hand

AuRavelling79

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:21 pm »
Oh no i have blown it now, I have disappointed Gold

I'll get my coat

I can understand your concern gordons but I'll let it pass just this once.

;D
It's a game of three halves!

TonyD

« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:31 am »
I just laugh to myself inside and pity the people who are small minded enough to look down on us.
It seems to me any customer with common sense and an opinion worth caring about is normally the type of customer that has already worked out that you run a busy business with a good income and been clever enough to escape the rate race without going broke and treat you with the respect they treat everyone else.

Nick Wareham

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2010, 01:14:42 am »
Think of it this way:  as long as people are looking down on window cleaners, there isnt going to be hoards of people wanting to do it (and thereby driving down prices), is there?!

gordonswindows

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2010, 08:36:50 am »
Thank you Gold o wise one

i blame wfp lol if we still used ladders nobody could look "down" on us  ;D ;D ;D
Don't Give Up
@askforthemoney

mlscontractcleaner

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
We clean a night club in Plymouth, right next door to an office block full of call centre workers and boy some of those women are SOOOOOOOOO stuck up it's unreal. They look at us, carrying in our hoovers and blowing the fAg ends and empty fAg packets with our blower, like we're s**t on their shoes; very funny ;D

I just look at them and wonder to myself how much they earn compared to me.

If only they knew ;)
Come and talk dirty to us!!!