Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve_c

Re: Low image of window cleaners or myth?
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:58 pm »
TBH I think anybody who cleans windows for a living is a useful if fairly lowly member of society and I'm one myself.

When low image is thought about it is not always about the money as some folks on here seem to think it is how one is reckoned by their peers.

Nurses, teachers and folks in the forces all probably earn much less than us but  are probably looked on with more esteem than a window cleaner and rightly so IMO.

Does cleaning a bit of dirt off glass make us the more valuable?

I think not.

At the end of the day it is a pretty non essential job that requires no study or exams for hence possibly the lowly status, brand new van or not.  ;)
you can f*** off pal................

Steven01903

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 08:10:04 pm »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

rg1

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2010, 08:20:49 pm »
TBH I think anybody who cleans windows for a living is a useful if fairly lowly member of society and I'm one myself.

When low image is thought about it is not always about the money as some folks on here seem to think it is how one is reckoned by their peers.

Nurses, teachers and folks in the forces all probably earn much less than us but  are probably looked on with more esteem than a window cleaner and rightly so IMO.

Does cleaning a bit of dirt off glass make us the more valuable?

I think not.

At the end of the day it is a pretty non essential job that requires no study or exams for hence possibly the lowly status, brand new van or not.  ;)
you can f*** off pal................

That will go a long way to enhance the image of a window cleaner :)
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Steve_c

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:53 pm »
not really,

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2010, 08:29:37 pm »
What about you Kate?

Tele canvasseing, how does that go down when the vicar pops in for a biscuit?

I had to put an ad in a shop because a worker quit.That sparked a hundred questions "what? your getting busy then? Do you do some round here, there's already a window cleaner round here? Do you do many round here?"
The questions were very pointed as if i'd commited some kind of crime. I answered as politely as i could and gave him his fifty pence.

The worst people can be those who either considered it, or rejected it is as impossible themselves.

kate1

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 08:52:16 pm »
slumpbuster

Its not that simple matey

You buy data, its TPS TCPS checked.

Then

You you methodically work through the list.  its not hard stuff mate

You have to work through a system any telemarketing on a four hour shift would be doing 125 calls for you a day

Dave Willis

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
ooh err :o  hit a nerve?

kate1

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »
What nerve?

Buying data is straightforward, not sure how it would hit a nerve??????????/

kate1

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 09:08:58 pm »
Slump

dont underestimate youself

None of you stop underestimating you service

Please, is industry going to kick ass or what?

Smudger

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »
The image of w/c'ers has been very poor in the past, the only real example i can recall on the TV is
Stan Ogden - and so many people believe everything on Tv that image has stuck and is very difficault
to remove.

There is def. a new wave of windy's - using WFP and being professional ( regular reliable cleans ) logo workwear
and vans and above all striving to give the custy a quality service.

I have met loads of people (mainly older generation) that think you are in it for a bit of beer money but in general most people appriciate the effort and respect that you offer a service, dod a good job and turn up when you
say you will.

Over time the cleaning industry will get a better image but it takes time.

Above all you need respect for yourself, that in turn brings respect, it's not just an earnings thing.
before w/c i made parts for F1 cars and got paid pretty well,  but i what i did not have was time with my
family !
Now i run my business, it's growing well,  chat with the custy's but above all have a happy working day that allows me
to take the kids to school or pick up, take them to events/clubs during the week and special days out at the w/end
- something i could not do working for other people.

In the beginning i thought there was a stigma to w/c'ing - but after a few months confidence grew ( as did my custy's and successful jobs ) to the point i am proud to tell people what i do.

Regards
Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

ts

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »
We unfortunately live in a class driven society in the UK. There are many eloquent, intelligent people cleaning windows up and down the country. There are also a lot of dodgy characters too seeing as it is a traditional cash in hand job. I just tell people Im a lion tamer...

mci services

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:07 pm »
 ;D three pages on this subject, it makes me chuckle, why worry what anyone else thinks of you, just go about your business as best you can and make as much as you can, when you can simples really

ts

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2010, 10:37:42 pm »
You should worry what people think about you.. you look like oor Wullie  ;D

mci services

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 10:40:40 pm »
You should worry what people think about you.. you look like oor Wullie  ;D

when ever I moaned about being a window cleaner paw hit me round the ear ;D he even threatened to let the Broons adopt me :o

ts

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2010, 10:43:41 pm »
Well at least the but n ben would have clean windows then!

mci services

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2010, 10:56:09 pm »

aye the broons were always manky beggars ;) the state of that but n ben was terrible,

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »
Kate
i'm okay with it.Like Dave says it does stop conversations and there are situations where you'd rather not mention it, like when you meet people on holiday.

But there is quite a lot to explain and people tend to ask without being that interested, so you launch into your speil and thier eyes glaze over.

I read about a telemarketer who made a packet form energy comparsion, and a removal bloke who said it was routine in his industry for the lads to nick everything they could lay their hands  on and his usp had been employing young australians who didn't nick stuff.

kate1

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »
Nope

your only as good as you portray yourself, dont let the buggers beat you

Paul Coleman

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2010, 11:27:29 pm »
I think the real issue is about how much self esteem someone has - and I don't mean the bogus self esteem to do with money or business size.  If the self esteem is intact, the rest of it isn't such a big deal IMO.
When you can look any man or woman in the eye and automatically know that underneath the facade, you are both OK.
It really cuts out so much bs.

Ross G

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »

aye the broons were always manky beggars ;) the state of that but n ben was terrible,

What a wid gie tae see that Daphne in the skud :o