Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Anderson

Low image of window cleaners or myth?
« on: September 26, 2010, 09:02:20 am »
From time to time posts on here describe a recent incident where a window cleaner experiences negative vibes/comment from a customer/mother/friend that is found demeaning.

I imagine that on the whole most of us go through work life with little in the way of these 'incidents'  but when posted on here we in the most part seem to enjoy the window cleaner coming out on top which is only normal I suppose.

Sure most of us have likely had the odd person give the snide remark/comment...but if most of us were honest what would you say if you were down the pub and having a chat about lawyers, football players, MP's, estate agents...the list goes on.

Are we in danger of creating a perpetual spiral of thinking we are what we think others think about us...

Cheers
Dave.
The more I know the less I know I know ...

Dave Willis

Re: Low image of window cleaners or myth?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:11:51 am »
I always find it a little embarrassing to admit my profession even now. Very few people take the pee but even a visit to the doctors or hospital always kills the conversation dead when they ask what line of work I'm in.
Some customers though are great and treat me as anyone else. It's friends/family and former work collegues who are the worst.
The great thing is of course - you never have to work for anyone you really don't like.

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:30 am »
I bumped into one of my old taxi mates a couple of weeks back. "hows the window cleaning going?" (slight smirk )
Bit later in the conversation he says "but you can't make a living just out of window cleaning"

mate you have got NO IDEA but carry on smirking. People can think what they like.

Jack Wallace

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:23:50 am »
There is definitely a stigma attached to window cleaning, I put it down to the fact that for many years most window cleaners drove around in old bangers and used cheap equipment which meant anyone could do it for beer money, they never looked like they had respect for themselves so why would anyone have respect for them.
Things are different now but it will take time for people’s attitudes to change.
Personally, I don’t care what people think as long as my daughter and my bank manager respect me.  ;)

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:29:18 am »
we re all low life and should know our place!now  sweep that chimney as well you snivelling  peasant! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

kate1

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:36:18 am »
I was saying this the other day.

It seems now with new technology, vans, signwriting, commercial business, corporate image etc, hopefully those thoughts and views are fading out.

Some of the websites I have seen on this site look very professional, and portray a good image

Londoner

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:07 am »
There is definitely a stigma attached to window cleaning, I put it down to the fact that for many years most window cleaners drove around in old bangers and used cheap equipment which meant anyone could do it for beer money, they never looked like they had respect for themselves so why would anyone have respect for them.
Things are different now but it will take time for people’s attitudes to change.
Personally, I don’t care what people think as long as my daughter and my bank manager respect me.  ;)

Jack they still exist like that, loads of them. Old bangers, usually estates. dirty crumpled trackkies and hoodies, baseball hats (chav hats my kids call them), short hair that looks like their wives cut it, smoking.

If thats not an image problem what is?

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 09:58:24 am »
dont forget the football tops vince, and the ones who will only accept cash

the bfg

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:36:56 am »
I'm a window cleaning contractor when anyone asks and I couldn't care what they think,    when people pay my bills then I will worry about what they think of me.

I was made redundant back in 2006 after nearly 19 years working for Sony UK  after they re-located to another part of the country so the whole site was made redundant,    I was talking to an old work mate a few months ago and I was asking how everyone else was doing.

he actually told me that out of everyone I was actually doing the best and the website looked really professional and how they were all commenting on it.

don't be ashamed to be a window cleaner be PROUD

gewindows

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:39:04 am »
I always find it a little embarrassing to admit my profession even now. Very few people take the pee but even a visit to the doctors or hospital always kills the conversation dead when they ask what line of work I'm in.

Precisely.

geefree

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
Saw an old mate in a store recently, and he sort of smirked when i told him what work i do now.....

we walked out to the car park together, and i headed towards my gleaming sign written van  ;D

he said "is that yours"? mouth open

Yep...i said...

smirk gone! ;)

bobby p

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »
personally i like the image of the trackie bottoms,the cheap-as-chips trainers, baseball cap. (but not the smoking)

what other job can you wear the dead comfy stuff? i cant think of any other !   

i have found that nobody hassles the window cleaner ,usually is treated well

sgibsoncleaning

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 01:57:14 pm »
the old image of "the bloke who lives in your street, never worked but cleans windows " refuses to die.
the suprise when a customer finds out you take cheques, they need a sit down when you tell them you do online payments.
all we can do is promote our own image.
 i  dont think it is unique to our trade, mini cabs to black cabs comes to mind. the mercedes i got into the other night was far more plush than a black cab, but people tend to look in a different way to private hire  and think black cabs are more professional.

i dont think  anyone can change the minds of some but others like the way we project ourselves now

gewindows

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

what other job can you wear the dead comfy stuff? i cant think of any other !   

Carpenter, roofer, landscaper, electrician, glazier, tree-surgeon, road-sweeper, dustman.............

rg1

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 02:55:20 pm »
If you have a problem with image why not call yourself a window maintenance technician
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »

I know.  Brilliant isn't it?  A great way of shutting them up  ;D

Richard Neal

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »
I dont mind what people think of me as i go round in my van, i know how much i earn a year and its all down to me, not some monkey  telling me what to do.

And Rise and Shine great cartoon mate!! never seen one as good!!
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

kate1

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »
Honestly though, I really think things are moving forward.  Saw a van in my street yesterday, wondered if it were a member on here.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 04:56:01 pm »
when my friends and family see what i started with to where iam now in 5years,they all say you must be doing well and must enjoy it as well,
also a lot say how they love to work out side without the stress.also when they see me sun tan they always say you lucky sod. :P :P

so to be honest i couldnt give a monkeys what people say or think about me behind me back.

the bfg

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 05:05:05 pm »
ditto Franky lad,

I have a customer who's work takes her all over the world but when she is here she always comments on me singing and whistling when I'm cleaning her windows,    she asked me last year do you enjoy your work that much Steve ?      I said after 19 years of shift work girl  making money for other people   then this is me in my apple cart,    and when I get customers like you girl who always make me a cuppa then its fantastico  ;D ;D ;D