This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ian1965

Bounced Cheque-help
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »
What is the correct procedure to deal with a customers bouncing cheque? Had there cheque returned to me today. >:(

Wc Solutions

Re: Bounced Cheque-help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 04:11:51 pm »
just go and see them, if not in then leave a letter explaining whats happend ...

if they are bad payers them dump it!!!

bobby p

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »
dont be too hasty if it was YOU who wrote your name on the cheque. some customers leave the cheque blank for me and if the style/colour  of writing differs from the signature then the cheque will bounce-this happened to me recently

the bfg

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 05:17:40 pm »
thats a personal matter between you and the customer,      I don't think the customer would appreciate you coming on a forum and telling them that they bounced a cheque on you.

gewindows

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »
I had a cheque returned to me today from one of my custards.

She had rang me yesterday as she had mistakenly used the wrong cheque book. I like my custards.

;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
What is the correct procedure to deal with a customers bouncing cheque? Had there cheque returned to me today. >:(

Depends.  If normally a good payer then I just keep hold of it and double bill next time explaining what has happened.  This is one of those rare occasions when I do knock first though - just in case the bounce was due to a financial problem rather than a clerical error.
If it's a new customer or one who doesn't have a good payment history, then cleaning gets suspended until it's sorted out.

cml

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »
Hi

Try not to be too hasty.  There could be a geniune reason why this has happend.  I.e standing orders or direct debits going through at the same time leaving the account overdrawn, in which case it is an oversight on the customers behalf.
Call then up and explain the returned cheque and that in order to avoid them paying an additonal charges for any further  representations if there is a problem could they pay by cash or credit card.    Cash preferably.

People do the weirdest things under stress or pressure unintentionally.

Good Luck!

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »
Most people have direct debit/chq accounts which only have a certain amount of money in each month. If they go over this amount, the chq bounce :( The bank will normally try to cash the chq one more time ( you should get a letter regarding this)

See if the chq clears 2nd time.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

steve k

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:37 am »
thats a personal matter between you and the customer,      I don't think the customer would appreciate you coming on a forum and telling them that they bounced a cheque on you.

the fella is asking for advice...no names and the chances of a customer being on this forum and recognising themselves in a topic would be as likely as a manc having a scouser as a godparent...relax-  we clean windows...simple!

the bfg

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:12:52 am »

the fella is asking for advice...no names and the chances of a customer being on this forum and recognising themselves in a topic would be as likely as a manc having a scouser as a godparent...relax-  we clean windows...simple!

yes you have to be simple if you need to ask people what to do over a bounced cheque,    you see when it happens to me and yes it does from time to time the bank always makes me aware of it,     and they advise me to contact the person in question SIMPLE

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:53 am »
just go and explain the situation i am sure theres a resonable explanation to this

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:21:52 am »
bfg ... the guy just asked a question! Karm down Karm down! ;D
It's a game of three halves!

peter1983

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:24 am »
lol bfg karm it m8

the bfg

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 08:39:48 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   I wasn't having a go     I was just amazed he didn't know what to do and had to come on a firum to ask,     especially when his bank would have advised him anyway.

it really is a self explanatery issue,   or maybe just maybe the bank said jesus we don't know what you should do about this customer bouncing a cheque on you as were just a bank,   maybe you should go and ask on a forum as they may know what to do  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:51 am »
Most banks when returning a cheque, enclose a printed form which will say why it has bounced. But that should make no difference to you Ian. If if has bounced it has bounced and you want your money.
Correct procedure?  As far as I am aware there are no "set" rules.
Give the custie a call, don't have a go, just say you will return the cheque to them by hand and agree a date to do so when they are in. Agree that you will get cash from them, this time, and include any bank charges that you may have had against this. Normally you will get some idea of what is going on with this custie if you see them face to face and when you have the cash, you can then decide to keep or dump. Meanwhile do not clean again until it is sorted out. :)

BFG:
A long time ago on a sales training course, we were told to ask questions to ourselves to see if we could provide our own answers to a satisfactory means. If we really could not get a solution then that was the time to ask others. :) No offence to anyone, but I guess the world has changed ;)

the bfg

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 10:01:50 am »

BFG:
A long time ago on a sales training course, we were told to ask questions to ourselves to see if we could provide our own answers to a satisfactory means. If we really could not get a solution then that was the time to ask others. :) No offence to anyone, but I guess the world has changed ;)

Helen.

yes the world have changed from A LONG TIME AGO   surely even you must have noticed that ?

but you can go on as many sales courses as you like but its common sense that solves this problem,      if you go into a shop and ask for a sliced loaf and you get home only to find they have given you an unsliced loaf what do you do ?

A)  go on a forum and ask everyone what you should do ?

B) write to your MP ?

C) go back to the shop and point out their mistake and change it for what you wanted ?

its not rocket science girl but it does give weight to many a view that window cleaners only do what they do because they couldn't hold down a REAL JOB,  whether we like it or not we are percieved that way by certain members of the public and looked down upon.

I had a bounced cheque a couple of weeks ago, I called the customer who couldn't apoligise enough and sorted the problem out,   I didn't need to go on a course to do that mind,  I just did it and hey presto I solved the problem.

tws

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »
bfg       big / friendly / grumpy  or is that just on sundays ;)

the bfg

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 01:40:42 pm »
no stupid its a full time job  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Helen

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 05:42:54 pm »

Helen.

yes the world have changed from A LONG TIME AGO   surely even you must have noticed that ?
 :P ;D

but you can go on as many sales courses as you like but its common sense that solves this problem,   if you go into a shop and ask for a sliced loaf and you get home only to find they have given you an unsliced loaf what do you do ?

The point I was tactfully trying to make was that "we were taught to think for ourselves" first, as when in a sales meeting, you do not always have the option of asking others!

A)  go on a forum and ask everyone what you should do ?

B) write to your MP ?

C) go back to the shop and point out their mistake and change it for what you wanted ?

pass ;D ;D ;D

its not rocket science girl but it does give weight to many a view that window cleaners only do what they do because they couldn't hold down a REAL JOB,  whether we like it or not we are percieved that way by certain members of the public and looked down upon.

I totally agree with you there, the trouble is that some window cleaners have this perception of themselves

I had a bounced cheque a couple of weeks ago, I called the customer who couldn't apoligise enough and sorted the problem out,   I didn't need to go on a course to do that mind,  I just did it and hey presto I solved the problem.

Exactly what I said thinking for yourself ;)

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 05:51:31 pm »
Anyway, while bfg and Helen are given time to kiss and make up....

....I had one a few months ago, prob only my second in 15 years. It said 'represent' so thats what I did, just put it through again and it was fine. the customer was sorry for my trouble, but as it came at no cost to me it didnt worry me.