This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

the bfg

Re: OUCH
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 11:12:14 am »

scud

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 12:36:47 pm »
  It never ceases to amaze me the amount of experts on this forum.

How from a post can people say that the cost of repair is too much?

Perhaps the fuel leak is coming from a shot fuelpump?, that would soon bang up the price.

Why skim brake discs? Are the same people saying these things the ones who claim to spend top money on kit so they aren't a cowboy and expect their customers to pay top dollar?

Probably the reason why myself, and some of the older members very rarely visit and post here anymore.

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »
It cost me £3,500 to get my taxi replated a few years back. Thats the taxi equivilent of an MOT.

Ian101

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 11:22:33 pm »
When it comes to cars Im an expert ....  motor trade for years and years before getting into window cleaning and skimming is a reconised repair method certainly by Toyota and other manufacturers and done under warranty for new cars with warped discs but can equally well be applied to older discs that are warped but within tolerences for refacing when it comes to an alternative to replacing with new discs ... saves money which can only be a good thing ... not all discs can be skimmed though so maybe did need replacing ... only the techy at the time could have known but defo not cowboyish to skim instead of replacing.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 01:29:31 am »
Citroen Berlingo from 1997, barely anything ever goes wrong, and if something does I can fix it myself easily. Flies through the MOT. Nice van, even though the paint is faded, I will be hanging on to it for a bit longer.

the bfg

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 07:29:01 am »
When it comes to cars Im an expert ....  motor trade for years and years before getting into window cleaning and skimming is a reconised repair method certainly by Toyota and other manufacturers and done under warranty for new cars with warped discs but can equally well be applied to older discs that are warped but within tolerences for refacing when it comes to an alternative to replacing with new discs ... saves money which can only be a good thing ... not all discs can be skimmed though so maybe did need replacing ... only the techy at the time could have known but defo not cowboyish to skim instead of replacing.

thanks for that insight mate,   I didn't have a clue what skimming meant as I know very little about cars as its never been my thing.

what my mate did point out and maybe this is why he's putting new discs on is the fact the van carries over a TON of water each day and when I brake I need to know I'm gonna stop.

I did notice the last few weeks when slowing down I need to press on the brakes more and more.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 07:30:55 am »

thanks for that insight mate,   I didn't have a clue what skimming meant as I know very little about cars as its never been my thing.

what my mate did point out and maybe this is why he's putting new discs on is the fact the van carries over a TON of water each day and when I brake I need to know I'm gonna stop.

I did notice the last few weeks when slowing down I need to press on the brakes more and more.

Yes that's usually the best way.
It's the pedal in the middle.

the bfg

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 08:00:32 am »

Yes that's usually the best way.
It's the pedal in the middle.

pedal in the middle eh Mongo ?  even though its an automatic   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

candygram for Mongo  candygram for Mongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ciVBQixpU

Steve_c

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:03 am »
NOT ALL FLOWERS are wot they seam as oll bill put em out to slow the trafik  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Not this one mate.

Steve_c

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 08:09:56 am »

That's rubbish, no garage in the modern era skim break discs. My nephew is a technician and a mate  is the service manager at a main dealer. Your talking like you worked in a back street garage

Londoner

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:26 am »
Garages don't skim brakes because they would rather rip you off by selling you new ones. When we had a Rolls Royce wedding car the RR main agent skimmed the brakes on it. If its good enough for RR its good enough for a van.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 09:14:36 am »
Is it me but can't you often just replace the pads? May be discs every third set?

I know discs get scored but the pad soon takes the shape oF the score marks.
It's a game of three halves!

Londoner

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 09:35:50 am »
Is it me but can't you often just replace the pads? May be discs every third set?

I know discs get scored but the pad soon takes the shape oF the score marks.

Exactly right! My wife's car is 14 years old with over 100,000 miles on the clock. Still on the original discs. The reason is we take it to a little family run garage, father and son, that doesn't top you up all the time.

New discs are one of the easiest top ups for garages seeking to add a bit to the bill. And they can play on your heartstrings "ah well its a safety issue, does your wife drive the car? do you carry your kids in it?"

After years of owning and driving taxis there is little you can tell me about garages and their tricks/cons/ripoffs/ outright fraud.

There was a story a few weeks back in one of the motoring papers about a bloke who was told by his garage his car was due for a new cam belt. They charged him £300. It was only later he found out his engine didn't have a cam belt

the bfg

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 10:42:51 am »

There was a story a few weeks back in one of the motoring papers about a bloke who was told by his garage his car was due for a new cam belt. They charged him £300. It was only later he found out his engine didn't have a cam belt

bet the bloke in the garage felt really stupid when he couldn't put the cam belt on then  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CLEANCARE WC

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
THERE WAS A BIG BIT ABOUT DODGY GARAGES ON WATCHDOG LAST WEEK EVEN THE BIG BOYS DO IT NAMELY KWIK FIT.
WE CLEAN BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT WITH WATER FED POLE WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT.

the bfg

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 04:54:25 pm »
Speaking of watchdog did anyone see that Locksmith or thats what he called himself,   he got 4 years for ripping everyone off.      brilliant

Frankybadboy

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 05:04:51 pm »
Speaking of watchdog did anyone see that Locksmith or thats what he called himself,   he got 4 years for ripping everyone off.      brilliant
are you on a laptop from your cell mate. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

the bfg

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »
yeah    and theve took me bleedin drill off me  ;D ;D ;D ;D

andyM

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 05:21:04 pm »

That's rubbish, no garage in the modern era skim break discs. My nephew is a technician and a mate is the service manager at a main dealer. Your talking like you worked in a back street garage

Skimming warped brake discs to within manufacturers wear tolerances used to be fairly common years ago.
A lot of garages nowadays only want to replace parts and don't want to bother or know how to skim brake discs. :(
Ian sounds like he does know what he's talking about  ;)

One of the Plebs

Ian101

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »

Ton of water hmmmm when u put it like that yup new discs prob better idea skimming just delays the eventual replacement and no point in taking a chance with a ton of water behind your head .... thinking back I dont think we ever skimmed discs on vans ....  ;)