Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dan hughes

50 ft + HOW THE HELL !??
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »
 ;D

just got my fitst big pole

Ionics 50footer. second hand. few years old.

it's huge, fat, proper heavy and the clamps are 10 foot high!

my (serious) question is,

How the hell do I use it ? as in get it up and move it around by yself !!!???

rg1

Re: 50 ft + HOW THE HELL !??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:47:23 pm »
You wont have any problems if you stick to bungalows :)
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

dan hughes

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:33 pm »
it's too big and heavy !!!

I can't imagine how this could be a good buy !!

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »
Stand on a ladder to extend it  ;D

mci services

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
after using a borrowed 40ft pole that I had to extend on the deck then jam against the wall and walk it up to vertical I thought never again, night mare. but the guy I borrowed it of still uses it most weeks

Wc Solutions

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:03:45 pm »
i found its alot easier with two of you - one keeps his foot against the bottom of the pole and the other goes from the brush end and lifts it up and walks down the pole unitl you meet the guy at the bottom to grap it off you to rest it against the building.

on your own wedge it againt the wall and go up from there.

hope that makes sense  ::)

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:05:15 pm »
walk it up the with the brush facing out, so as to not get any debri on the brush head.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 08:08:20 pm »
Stand on a beer crate to reach the clamps.With the pole at a 45 degree angle. Thats why I went down the fishing pole route. Sold my 60ft ergo for half price.

Wc Solutions

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
Stand on a beer crate to reach the clamps.

or the van  ;D

Davie T

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »
With the most convenient clamp open, extend the pole to a window ledge as high as you can reach, rest the brush on it and walk away to a point where the angle of the pole is low enough for you to reach the clamp and close the clamp.  Repeat the process until you reach the desired height.  You can also use horizontal drain pipes instead of ledges. It's easy once you get used to it !

dan hughes

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 08:19:42 pm »
With the most convenient clamp open, extend the pole to a window ledge as high as you can reach, rest the brush on it and walk away to a point where the angle of the pole is low enough for you to reach the clamp and close the clamp.  Repeat the process until you reach the desired height.  You can also use horizontal drain pipes instead of ledges. It's easy once you get used to it !

THAT'S the kind of answer I was after!!

thank you!!   ANY MORE TIPS !!??

dan hughes

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
IT'S GOT A BADGE ON IT

TT DIRECT

anyone know it !!??

craig@kestrel

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »
i have a 70ft pole and its a old omipole, i get the pole up in the air and i use it all the time and i can pick it up and move with it.

jouk45

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
there is a roller that can fit on the back of the brush, that rolls up the wall as you extend the pole, think jeff brimble has one

s.hughes

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:52 am »
after using a borrowed 40ft pole that I had to extend on the deck then jam against the wall and walk it up to vertical I thought never again, night mare. but the guy I borrowed it of still uses it most weeks
Same here. It is hard going. Extend the pole, push the bottom against a wall and walk up with it, but dont stop or you have to start all over again.
That was the days before my carbon pole.

clarkson

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:22 pm »

Hi
 I have a 60 foot ergolite that iam looking to upgrade. i cant work with it fully extended on my own its a two man job really.

it does help if you get off the ground yourself as has been said. our favourite trick is to satand on the customers skip to get a bit of height.

If you can take someone with you we do this. fully extend the pole, brace the end against a wall, one get a good grip at the operators end, one puts it above his head at the brush end then walks towards you pushing the pole up whilst the one at the floor end pulls like mad. it will go up. Once up against the building its not too bad but you dont have great control. try and keep the base as far from the building as the site will allow this keeps the weight on windows not on your arms(watch old leaded or georgans it will go straigh through!!!)

unless you are very fit or strong you wont be able to do many hours with it at a time thats why two man is also better, me and my right hand man do about eight windows each at a time then swap gives you 10 minute break.

last few things watch the wind if it starts to go you wont stop it falling. last thing check all the clips are nice and tight before raising as it is a nightmare to get it up then have to get it down again to tighten a clip half a turn.

iam looking at some of these modular poles in carbon fibre. some are only 2 or 3 kilos and are rigid going to look hard at them before i buy though.

cheers

john

ascjim

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:30 pm »
Them grey ones are REALLY heavy and mine dosn't have a clamp where i can reach when its up.

I just extend what i need, foot it against a wall and walk it up, job done.

You may have to bring it down again coz you have over extended it lol

But you get an eye for pole heights. Its a skill ;)

Mike_G

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »
You will get used to it soon enough just use it for a while and it will get easier and easier

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:17:07 pm »
;D

Ionics are renowned for conning their customers with unusable poles! Goosed, big time. You need a Gardiner SL2, you can do 40ft with one hand! ;)

s.hughes

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:29:32 pm »
;D

Ionics are renowned for conning their customers with unusable poles! Goosed, big time. You need a Gardiner SL2, you can do 40ft with one hand! ;)
Mines a 45ft Gardener slx wouldnt be without it