Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul wallace

Re: Fast Cleaning Suites
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:03:22 pm »
Pointless point imo, no one gains?  Porty, TM or Lm, who cares because?  >:(  Fast as dash?
Just trying to do a Good-Honest job and make money!

wynne jones

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »
I don't understand the point your making?
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

peter maybury

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
The average 3 seater suite consist of about 30 sq mtrs of fabric. From turning up setting up and putting  your equipment equipment away 45 minutes you cannot be spending a lot of time doing a tidy job. I was started up by a firm in Nottingham and it used to be a competition to see who could clean a suite quickest. They were a right bunch, I learnt from that and started to take pride in what I did and put the customers interests at heart. I run, I train,  there are few people fitter, I have invested a lot of money in equipment. I could not do a good job on a suite in 45 minutes. You carry on as you are. 
Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

robert meldrum

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 10:49:04 pm »
This is a fair enough illustration of a niche market and one that many would choose to ignore for their own reasons .............for a number of years I cleaned several properties owned / managed by church charities and the understanding was.............

To " freshen " carpets and upholstery within the flats which were occupied by alcoholics and rough sleepers who were being encouraged to integrate back into society, to an acceptable level, for the next occupier.

No one else was prepared to undertake the work and the funding was inadequate to replace the carpets and upholstery. I regarded my participation as a contribution to the less fortunate in our society, many are ex armed services personnel who find difficulty in integating after years of not having to think for themselves.

Individual jobs didn't pay that well but still accounted for around £10k per year.

Knowing Gary.............I would expect him to have achieved a lot more in 45  mins  than the average operator would in an hour and a half.

Just read Peter's post as I was about to post......................

Your individual fitness has nothing to do with the results you achieve in this industry.  I learned a lot about working " effectively " when I worked for Bosch and visited their factories in the early 1980's and put this into my daily working practices. 

wynne jones

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 12:16:48 am »
Robert

Whay sort of method do you use the Robert you learned from Bosch? I see a lot of people faff about with suites, no method and sloppy approach.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

idealrob

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:54 am »
As I quoted a few months ago, 45 mins no problem, and a fantastic job, including vac, pre spra6, dry fusion cristal clean suite and superb job, customer happy, and can do 6 a day, fact, and no bad back

idealrob

garyfindlay

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:24:29 am »
I`m not talking about doing the best job you can. I`m talking about meeting the customers needs. He required a suite cleaned to sell, and has a limited budget. There is plenty space around the suite, and in how many homes do you get them all in a row. The conditions were ideal to do this quickly. Should I have turned round and stated I only clean suites properly, to my high standards, which is out of your price range? He is a repeat customer. Money is money, and I saw it as a marketing execise as stated before, van on restricted road, customers passing by shop etc. The negatives outweighted the positives, and gives a different slant to cleaning, as Rob said above, there are different markets, if you adapt.

Stu.Clem

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:46:24 am »
Cant really see the point of this thread but if you want a race then fair enough - I do lots of homeless sector furniture including suites - some mingers some not so - most done with a Solutions hand mitt and suitable hot cleaning fluid in a dedicated drive in warehouse.  2 seater and 2 chairs can sometimes take as little as 20 minutes! Even the mingers can be done in less than 45 mins with me prowler BUT these are cheap suites with cheap robust fabrics. Had no complaints yet.
 To clean an average 3 piece suite in the domestic setting I always quote 2 to 2.5 hours for a proper job that obtains a result worthy of my price tag and I think this time is well quick enough!!

Far too easy to inadvertantly rush into a mistake and damage custys property or even worse the item you are working on so my advice is slow down a bit and up yer prices

Stu

idealrob

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 12:59:55 pm »
Never made a mistake in 28 years of cleaning suites, so speed does not cause problems for me, and the last re-clean was about 20 years ago, and the customer was correct, a blocked jet on dry foam machine.
Get prices I am happy with, and dont turn down many, as said before on this forum, my father who has been cleaning suites for 50 years, has a motto, we only clean, clean things.
Yes had plenty of mingers myself, a brown suite that after cleaning, realised its gold etc.
My advice is switch to dry foam and do a quicker, better job, and fit into a gap in the market

idealrob

robert meldrum

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
You're preaching my gospel Rob.......even got the same name ! There're too many people kidding themselves that taking longer to do a task produces a better result, when in reality many are taking longer, either because they're not efficient, or worse still, they take longer and try to justify their overcharging by taking a lot longer, but only covering the same ground, so to speak.

Sure there are some very large suites that will take twice as long as an " average " 3 pce and some are very " fussy " with extra cushions, deep buttons, swirls, etc, but we're talking average here.

If you are slow, you can speed up by being more efficient in your approach and use of products. Some like to give the impression that everything they do is " by the book " and is the " only way "whereas most change their practices as the gain experience, experiment and realise that their customers expectation, for instance, is not to have their furniture dry as you leave, so why take an extra half hour towelling and blasting with fans when it's totally unnecessary.

Also, the extent of pre vaccing that's occasionally mentioned is nuts and again adding unnecessarily to the total time taken. Again.............there will be occasional suites that need more prepping than others, but getting back to averages.....................I average 90 mins per suite with the occasional one taking longer and I use dry foam a lot, but occasionally use other products, eg, microsplitters or colloidals.

There's no ALWAYS and no NEVER.

garyfindlay

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 04:06:01 pm »
Idealrob, What dry foam machine/chemicals do you use?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »
May be because just about everyone is trained in HWE the real hole in the market is training in dry foam cleaning, not the process but the results and it's limitations.

Shaun

Stu.Clem

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:15 pm »
Not doubting your skill and experience Rob - would have to see one of these dry foamers used in anger to be convinced - also I usually get  £75 - £100 for a 3 pce but dont beleive our locals would pay that for a job knocked off in half the time I take...??

Best wishes

Stu

Matt Seymour

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 07:32:32 pm »
Personally, I hate cleaning suites. I'd rather clean a minging urine-soaked carpet than a suite!

I suppose it takes me about 2 or 3 hours. Trouble is I have a bit of an iffy back and all that bending down really takes it out of me.

idealrob

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »
Using crisal dry foam  upholstery machine, pre spay with solutions m power plus and then cristal fusion dry foam .
before that holloway dry foam machine and Reckitts or jwyes dry foam shampoo.

idealrob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »
Just noticed that the Chinese manufacturer have taken the dry foam machine from their ebay website.

Shaun

idealrob

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »
Where  have the taken it ?

idealrob

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
Probably on a slow boat

Shuaun

robert meldrum

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:44 am »
My original dry foaming was machine based, with the Holloway ( which I still have ) followed by a machine similar to, but inferior to the Von Schrader, then the Von Schrader which was OK, but the highest productivety and most thorough clean was / is achieved with bonnet mitts.

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:10 am »
When people buy or take over second hand furniture they often think oh I will get that cleaned  it will only be about £20

When you go to look it smells of cig smoke etc 

Also you have antique dealers and second hand furniture retailers who want suites and chairs freshened up

But have no idea of the time it will take to achieve what they want

So the question is do you compromise your standards  earn a few pounds at the end of the day.

Do you do Charity Cases as part of your PR scheme and putting back into society

Or do you advise the client to go down the hire route