This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

ts

Branching out to other things?
« on: September 22, 2010, 02:37:01 am »
Has anyone branched out and offered other services? I only do some gutter cleaning. Any advice?

T

the bfg

Re: Branching out to other things?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:11 am »
I usually do a bit of shop lifting at the weekends to keep my hand in so to speak  :D

Londoner

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:53:47 am »
This has been discussed recently. My view which is not universally shared on here is not to start getting involved in things that don't contribute to your main business ie window cleaning.

Branching out into carpet cleaning or jet washing (the two favourites) just takes up too much time to attract new business and most of them are one off jobs so why bother?

mark mann

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:09 am »
i like the idea of upvc restoration - but im not sure what to charge my guess is
10 quid for a double window 5 quid a single and 12 quid for a door - any one agree/disagree with thise prices ?
an optimist takes the tartare sauce with him when he goes fishing -

Klean07

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:11:51 am »
Have a look and see what others charge for doing same work. Then go from there.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:24:51 am »
I do a lot of pressure washing & gutter cleaning work (great for wet days), web design on the really bad days, & I help my wife with her handmade soap company sometimes too. Whatever pays the bills!

mci services

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:26 am »
This has been discussed recently. My view which is not universally shared on here is not to start getting involved in things that don't contribute to your main business ie window cleaning.

Branching out into carpet cleaning or jet washing (the two favourites) just takes up too much time to attract new business and most of them are one off jobs so why bother?

I agree if you have time on your hands get more window cleaning customers

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:38 am »

I agree if you have time on your hands get more window cleaning customers

For me it isn't about time,... Irish customers have never been educated about WFP working just as good in the rain, and despite my best efforts many will still turn me away on a wet day, so I diversify in an effort to keep working no matter what the weather.
Its also nice to have a bit of variety,.. and pressure washing pays really well too! :)

erithwc

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:15:40 am »
I do a lot of pressure washing & gutter cleaning work (great for wet days), web design on the really bad days, & I help my wife with her handmade soap company sometimes too. Whatever pays the bills!

I have been thinking about setting up something ebay selling stuff i could do it on bad days and evenings but not sure how i would stand with the tax man would i have to set up another business or could i just declare it as additional income i am selfemployed anyone know ???

Wc Solutions

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:57 pm »
we started doing conservatory cleaning - named it conservatory valeting ...

so basically we do it on 3 different stages...

1 - just roof and roof pvc ...

2 - all the external glass and pvc including roof

3 - our main one - a complete conservatory valet - as above but including internal glass and pvc.

goes down a storm - every single one of our customers with a conservatory has had at least one valet done.

try and make them get it done every 4 - 6 months...

even picking up some conservatorys that are other wc customers - as seems some trad guys wont do it as roof can be a pain without wfp ...

really popular in the summer of course but also around xmas time ...

lee_dewing

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:15:40 pm »
wc solutions do you use a conservatory roof ladder?

Or just normal ladder and tfr in garden sprayer?

would you mind me asking what you charge fot these service?

One of my custies told me bobby dazzler sold at halfords is really good cleaning agent,used for cleaning caravans.

thanks lee
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

lee_dewing

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:24:12 pm »
Nathanael Jones

was thinking once of pressure washing, take it you use petrol jet washer?

how do you charge per square metre?

Thought about doing this but always worried about damaging custies paving i.e blowing out old cement between paving.

worried custie would try and charge me for re-pointing it :o

I take it wth the brick paved ones you have to use sharp sand to re-fill after clean.

Would like to gain experience at this but don't think anywhere offers advice or training.

Not confident enough to jump straight into this.

Do you just tell custies for pressure washing you do on wet days only?

thanks lee

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
my brother started this company off last year his web site . www.procleanconservatories.co.uk  and he been very busy.

i myself have set up a cleaning business so i do carpets and upholstery,, power washing gutter and fascia cleans i have even had my wife doing some work clean the walls and paint work down in care home before it opens.But my main income is the windows but the carpets side is getting busy as i have pushed it more this year and next year ill push the power washing more

richywilts

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:44:44 pm »
Nathanael Jones

was thinking once of pressure washing, take it you use petrol jet washer?

how do you charge per square metre?

Thought about doing this but always worried about damaging custies paving i.e blowing out old cement between paving.

worried custie would try and charge me for re-pointing it :o

I take it wth the brick paved ones you have to use sharp sand to re-fill after clean.

Would like to gain experience at this but don't think anywhere offers advice or training.

Not confident enough to jump straight into this.

Do you just tell custies for pressure washing you do on wet days only?

thanks lee

try a smartseal course there not brilliant there basically just trying to sell u all there products but its worth £60 of ya money to give ya a bit of background and knowledge try there website www.smartseal.co.uk
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

lee_dewing

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »
richywilts, thanks for that link and their not too far away, will read through it later

Hav you been on their course?

Like your website by the way.

thanks lee.

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 06:00:50 pm »
Last 2 years we've done gardening as well and we are having to scale it back. Definitely best to stick to window cleaning/gutter cleaning!

Matthew JN

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 07:17:41 pm »
Nothing to do with cleaning but i also trade cars.

richywilts

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
richywilts, thanks for that link and their not too far away, will read through it later

Hav you been on their course?

Like your website by the way.

thanks lee.

cheers lee websites a bit old now n needs modernising iv paid the website designer in march but he still aint come up with a new design.

as for the course yeah i went along but i had already done driveway cleaning previously so didnt really learn a great deal its basically just a bit of a con to entice people in to buy there products but for 60quid its worth a crack at it and you also get discounts on products then and a certificate which can look good to customer
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Wc Solutions

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 07:35:45 pm »
wc solutions do you use a conservatory roof ladder?

Or just normal ladder and tfr in garden sprayer?

would you mind me asking what you charge fot these service?

One of my custies told me bobby dazzler sold at halfords is really good cleaning agent,used for cleaning caravans.

thanks lee

yeah no probs mate.

of course its impossible to give an exact price as it depends on the sizes of the job and how dirty they are/time taken and of course the access - easy/hard ....

so for example:

just the roof clean with roof pvc - say from £30 upwards....

all external glass & pvc including roof - say from £80 upwards

and the main one we offer the complete valet - say from £100 upwards ...

as i said its hard to give exact prices without seeing the job for size and so on...

ive never used a roof ladder, always wfp with customers outside tap and then wfp with system to finish glass clear roofs and the ground floor glass - the internals just simple mop and blade with a few micro wipes to tidy frames ...

ive used turtle wax tfr or a caravan cleaner - cant remember which one.

if the roofs green with those annoying mould bits - i would use a trad pole with a wc mop dipped in a bucket of water and a chemical to help remove the worst before i used wfp ...

hope that helps a bit.

ts

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »
Thanks guys very helpful. Just a bit of variety cant go wrong.