This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave green

brick acid on windows HELP
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:48:58 pm »
a large house as had there bricks cleaned but some acid has gone on window i tryed 1 window but no joy am trad my the way any1 come across this b4 or any1 no how to get of, there old victorion sash pains??

Thanks

Dave

TomCrowther

Re: brick acid on windows HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »
A builder got some on my own windows a few years ago and I used a razor blade to get it off. Stained the frames as well..

trevor perry

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »
if it has had brick acid on then the window will be etched and will need replacing.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:39 pm »
Brick acid shouldn't affect glass,.. Its often used in lower concentrations in mineral deposit remover. Could the mark be from sand blasting maybe?

Andy Foster

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:57:10 pm »
Brick acid shouldn't affect glass,.. Its often used in lower concentrations in mineral deposit remover. Could the mark be from sand blasting maybe?

I agree, another part of my business is brick cleaning and in 6 years I have never had the acid affect the glass or frames on a window.
Not sure what it could be... did you say it could be removed with a razor blade?  If so then it is something that has got on the glass and been allowed to dry.  Acid could do this but if that was the case it means that it hasn't been rinsed off the bricks properly either and you may well see some bleaching of the bricks.  Nevertheless, it still shouldn't affect the glass or etch it.

dave green

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »
the guy said its brick acid scaffold is up still up the builder is going to pay aswell its defo brick acid try to clean with normal trad methods rubber scrim and a micro fiber on it dittent move a bit of it??

Andy Foster

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:25 pm »
OK, if it is acid that has dried then the brick cleaner should be responsible for removing it as they didn't do their job properly by rinsing it all off when they were cleaning.

If the glass is in fact damaged then no amount of cleaning or scraping will cure it and it will need replacing.

If they want you to clean it the best way is to soak with a dilute version of the acid and then rinse thoroughly before trad or wfp cleaning it.  You may need to scrub whilst it is soaked with the acid solution - be very careful and make sure you have the right PPE and all the associated H&S stuff.

sam1975

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
true dat,,  brick acid wont do much , but i have seen brick acid hit stainless steel and the stainless rust and that rust etch glass (on a ship). ripleys. make friends with a glazier