Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

creighton foyle

protecting machine from frost
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »
hi guys i finally got my airflex delivered today and i have no choice but to leave it on the van 24/7 as i have nowhere to store it. i am thinking of making an insulated box to keep it in on the van using 2x2 for the frame clad in 9mm osb inside and out with 50mm polystyrene insulation sandwiched in the middle on all sides top and bottom, do you think 50mm will be thick enough insulation to do the

Colin Day

Re: protecting machine from frost
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:41:16 pm »
I would invest in a nice duvet and an oil filled rad...  :)

Helen

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:21 pm »
Buy a nice new duvet for your own bed via your business, then put the old one over the machine.
Back it up with an electric thermostatically control heater, also bought with business money.

creighton foyle

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06:09 pm »
i have to park on the street and where i live running a cable out to the van would be madness, the wing mirrors get knocked off the vehicles at least two or three times a year so imagine a cable running out ,even if i run it high from the bedroom window some plonker will try for it h&s would have a field day with me.

Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:07:38 pm »
and what about the solution hoses, wands, cleaning fluids?

you will need to bring them in at night then.

derek west

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:16:47 pm »
eberspatcher (think thats how you spell it.)
google it.

Robert Watson

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:35 pm »
Hiya.
I have the same problem. You will just have to find somewhere to store your gear.
Pain in the ass, but its got to be done, unless you fit a espshythingymabob. Joe will tell you what its called, not a cheap option.
Would love to be wrong on this one.
Rab
The Kitchen Door Centre

Robert Watson

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:19:36 pm »
Beat me to it .
The Kitchen Door Centre

richy27

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:49 pm »
on a normal night i would say a decent oil filled rad with a thermostat would suffice remember condensation can also damage a machine so this needs to be considered perhaps having a vent in the van is a good idea. during periods of very cold eg 2 years ago when it dropped sub 10 i would bring indoors or find someone to baby sit it for you.  as joe said consider all things in your van tools hoses etc

creighton foyle

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »
 d available on ebay approx £700 plus fitting cost have already looked at that option, maybe next year i'm all spent out at the mo

joe i have enough room in my van to put three or even four compartments for all my equipment just not sure if 50mm is thick enough, if i cant get a reply of someone whith knowledge of this i will use 100mm insulation its just going to take up more space. i have a high roof mwb transit so space is'nt really a problem

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »
Don't you have a spare room in your house to put it in? I bring in my machines every night, i like to clean the inside of the waste tank and rinse out the pump (as you should to prelong the life of the pump) so needs to be done indoors anyways.

For the winter, you'll need to take in your solution hose, and anything with a valve! i.e. wands, hand tools and sprayers. And if you carry protector then this will be screwed if frozen.... Powdered detergants will be fine and so will liquids (apart from protector!)

Tony

M.Acorn

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 07:42:22 pm »
so will liquids (apart from protector!)
I bring all my gear in,only way to be safe,you will find Prespray gold freezes,and fib and fab rinse,never goes back to normal after it`s been frozen
What goes around comes around

creighton foyle

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »
tony i live in the smallest two bed house you could imagine, dont get me wrong if there is no other way it will be in my living room every night that it is likely to freeze, wife wont be happy but equipment is expensive to repair, however i have sent an email to rockwool and have the tech dept no for jablight so i will make enquiries tomorrow and post if i get a difinitive answer.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »
so will liquids (apart from protector!)
I bring all my gear in,only way to be safe,you will find Prespray gold freezes,and fib and fab rinse,never goes back to normal after it`s been frozen

Good shout, i dont actauly use liquids apart from odour neutralizers and solvents which are in my spotting kit. I take that in too. forgot about that.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:49 pm »
tony i live in the smallest two bed house you could imagine, dont get me wrong if there is no other way it will be in my living room every night that it is likely to freeze, wife wont be happy but equipment is expensive to repair, however i have sent an email to rockwool and have the tech dept no for jablight so i will make enquiries tomorrow and post if i get a difinitive answer.

Not sure how effective insulating the van is mate as i've never went down that route.
I have wood panling all over the cabin in the back i.e. the roof, floor, walls and the front aswell as the doors and stuff still freezes.

Not just is it expensive when parts freeze as its not covered under warranty but its also means no work till you've had it sorted   :'(

cleanability

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »
I was just thinking about winter and the frost the other day. So out of interest is it possible to get any sort of heater that runs off cig lighter socket that could be run in back of van when your on the way to a job first think in morning??????????   Yes I know its best to bring things in coz the contant freezing and thawing of equipment will damage it but anyway my question still stands  :)

thanks
Chris

Mike Halliday

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:55 pm »
run anti freeze through the machine on finishing the night, then flush it back into a container the next morning (so it can be used again)

take tools inside
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

JandS

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:40 pm »
Mine spent 10+ weeks indoors under the stairs in dining room
last Winter. Machine, wand and hoses, and it's an open
staircase.
Not a pretty sight but effective.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

rich hand

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:58 pm »
Mikes anti freeze is a great idea. 50 years ago I reckon people probably lit paraffin heaters for similar situations.

You must live in a nice area to leave it in the street like that!?

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
Machine maufacture all over the usa use anti freeze. As some states like Minnesota, drop to 40 below, our window cleaner would use alchol cleaning solution to clean them, when the tempratures droped.