Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Roberts

Consumer Guide To Carpet Cleaning (from Bone-Dry)
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:47 am »
Hi,

Take a look at this "consumer guide" that Bone-Dry (Dry Carpet Cleaning Franchise) now have on their website. As you know, I see a lot of positives and benefits to LM and VLM cleaning but this 'guide' is IMO bushing the boundaries in some areas!  :o

HWE HEALTH WARNING: If you get upset by my benign comments on LM, you best not click on the link below as it's likely to seriously wind you up!   ...... Nothing to do with me! .... was just checking out my local competitor on VLM.

http://www.bone-dry.co.uk/consumers

To be fiar, there is some good info in there, especially the warnings on 'Bait & Switch'.  But the inference that Dry Organic Extraction is now the only legitimate way to clean a carpet is a bit ballsy.

Cheers,

Matt Seymour

Re: Consumer Guide To Carpet Cleaning (from Bone-Dry)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 02:32:57 pm »
I really do resent these people who claim that anyone who charges affordable fees is dodgy.

I will do a small box room or a tiny study for £10. Sometimes I'll even chuck in a room or two for nothing if I am doing a whole house.

My machine is the 400psi Ninja and I use Prochem chemicals. There is nothing dodgy about me.  :P

Doug Holloway

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 04:44:49 pm »
Hi Guys

This is marketing pure and simple, the bit which makes me laugh most is the sponges claim, saw dust has never been so glamorous!

However it is professiobnal and keeping prices up is in all our interests.

Cheers

Doug

garry22

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:30:10 pm »
Doug,

There is a world of difference between "proper" sponges and sawdust. :D

I tried to make my own "heavy duty HOST" using Prochem Double clean, traffic lane cleaner and sawdust from my dad's shed.

The trouble was that I did not sift out the wood shavings and chippings!

First job ...  looped pile polypropylene tiles for a builder who wanted a cheap job. Absolute disaster (try vaccing that mixture out from those tiles)!

Garry

Graeme@Access

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 07:08:58 pm »
Garry,

Try vaccing any of these systems out of a carpet. You put more dry "soil" in the carpet than you began with.

We have a guy who only uses this system in Glasgow and every single time i have heard a customer mention this system its easy to out sell. Shake and vac says it all. Dunno if hes still about actually? maybe spends his time polishing his host.

Graeme
Access Cleaning Solutions

Derek_Walker

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »
Every system has it's benefits, why limit yourself to just one. Although this is just a sales pitch, there are inconsistences in the wording. For instance he states safe cleaning without the use of solvents, but according to the Host web site, the sponges contain a mixture of water, detergent and solvents etc. It would need this to be able to deal with the different types of soiling. I personally do not like the negative type selling techniques but rather concentrate on the positive benefits of your cleaning system.

james roffey

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:39:53 am »
Every system has it's benefits, why limit yourself to just one. Although this is just a sales pitch, there are inconsistences in the wording. For instance he states safe cleaning without the use of solvents, but according to the Host web site, the sponges contain a mixture of water, detergent and solvents etc. It would need this to be able to deal with the different types of soiling. I personally do not like the negative type selling techniques but rather concentrate on the positive benefits of your cleaning system.

At last  :P

Dave Roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »

There are indeed a lot of inconsistancies;   

- Refs to 'organic' but our local operator freely admits he uses heavier solvents if the HOST products don't shift the soil.

- Their website contains the phrase "100% dry" which is ridiculously untrue.  I have the HOST training manual and the sponges contain an emulsion of  70% water, 10% solvent and 10% detergent (the other 10% is the sponge).

- This company use the slogan "the deepest clean you will ever see", which is a ridiculous claim for this system.

Dry Extraction, used properly, can be a very effective system in my experience, in the right application.   But the claims in this 'guide' are just silly.

Colin Day

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 03:55:01 pm »

It's gained me a lot more work than when I just had HWE at hand...

garry22

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »
I personally do not like the negative type selling techniques but rather concentrate on the positive benefits of your cleaning system.

We just say we do the three main systems and choose the best one for the client. It seems to work.

clinton

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 04:26:03 pm »
Least then they have a choice for if the want a quik drying job too.

garry22

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »
I guess in their minds, we are not trying to foist a particular method on to them.

I remember a few years ago, a customer said "we went with you because you offered different methods, so you obviously did not have an axe to grind"