Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zoe humble

just men
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:12 am »
Hi I am new to CIU,  I've been lurking on the other forum.  I don't know anything about cleaning carpets... I am curious there seems to be mainly main (soley men) on this forum.  Is carpet cleaning just for blokes?  why is it the size / weight of the machines.   So If I wanted to go into this line of business alongside regular domestic work I need training and a machine can anyone give me a ballpark figure with regards to a basic kit set up for domestic jobs.  If I can stretch to it I can start doing some more research... thanks

Paul Redden Countryfresh

Re: just men
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
1500-2000pounds plus van, cleaning ins, training courses (a must)  complete different ball game to domestic cleaning  ::)
"So basically its a big vax!"

zoe humble

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:45:11 am »
yes I guess it is a different ball game - but I am still trying to work out why is it mainly men. 

sarahbelleee

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:21:27 am »
Training course will give you good base of knowledge.

robert meldrum

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:16:57 am »
There ARE a few women who run c/c businesses / work in c/c businesses / work with their husbands / partners as carpet cleaners. One of the most successful carpet cleaners on here is a young woman ( alhough she allowed herself to be influenced by men on here ) and has subsequently lost her way. Hopefully temporarily.

My wife worked with me a few years ago and we worked very well together.

Strange thing about women is their inability or unwillingness to work in a structured  way while leaning which can result in a lack of uniformity in finish.

They work as hard and can achieve the same results but tend to be less systematic in their approach.

garry22

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »
Strange thing about women is their inability or unwillingness to work in a structured  way while leaning which can result in a lack of uniformity in finish.

Oh boy this should be fun ;D

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:02:56 pm »
Robert Meldrum has had steel balls fitted?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Helen

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »
They work as hard and can achieve the same results but tend to be less systematic in their approach.

Aaaaaaah >:( I'm just going to have another cup of coffee in the hope that time will make me calm down a little before answering. :-*

nevil

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:41:21 pm »
I see no reason at all a woman cannot clean carpets. It's not rocket science after all. The work can be reasonably heavy at times but many women already do physical work.
In fact I would think a woman CC would have an advantage over men as far as bringing in new business is concerned. Because many folks, especially elderly or vulnerable are wary of who is coming into there house. A woman may well be seen to be a safer bet than a man if the advertising played on that aspect.

Plenty of good used machinery around. I wouldn't be in to much of a rush to part with your dosh on a new machine. Must get training though. Although it's not rocket science, there are plenty of things that can trip you up and end up costing considerably more than a short course.

Helen

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 02:51:33 pm »

Had coffee and administered the valium.......

Always very difficult to work in a structured and uniform way whilst "leaning"....is this a new trick of the trade in CC'ing  ;D lean to the left gets a deeper clean? ;) to the right and you remove stains? ;)

Bobbie dear, I think you are geting a little confused between structured working and multi tasking, the latter of which you menfolk think you do, but ain't a patch on us women ;D ;D

Me? I can use a wand in one hand, a bonnet in the other, spray the pre-sray (don't ask where from :o), talk to the customer, write out an invoice and take the ££ and think what I will be cooking for dinner....all at the same time (oh and nearly forgot, post on here aswell) ;D ;D ;D

Now you aren't gonna believe this, but I think men are better suited to carpet cleaning than women. Yes I am being serious, but I am not going to say why :-*

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 03:05:32 pm »
Think you just made matters worse Helen.........especially when I was NOT being insulting in any way.  I've employed many, many women over the past 30 or so years and would ( in most cases ) prefer women employees, but not in carpet cleaning.
As always there will be some women who are capable of outcleaning most men and I greatly admire them, but, from observations ................where most males will approach a clean systematically and clean in a disciplined, even moronic way, happy to work steadily thrugh the area ,,,,,,females will attack an area then move to another area and attack again, thinking the wand is a scrubbing brush.
They may well end up with a similar result, but they sure make it hard work.
Have to say that I regard multitasking to be more of a CURSE than an ASSET

Doug Holloway

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 03:46:33 pm »
Hi Guys and Gals

Think it's just down to carpet cleaning being a physical job, theres a lot of lifting involved, not impossible for a fit female but they obviously prefer doing other things.

It would be nice to have a few more ladies on here, might keep the boys in check.

Cheers

Doug

Helen

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:49:12 pm »
Think you just made matters worse Helen.........especially when I was NOT being insulting in any way.  I've employed many, many women over the past 30 or so years and would ( in most cases ) prefer women employees, but not in carpet cleaning.
As always there will be some women who are capable of outcleaning most men and I greatly admire them, but, from observations ................where most males will approach a clean systematically and clean in a disciplined, even moronic way, happy to work steadily thrugh the area ,,,,,,females will attack an area then move to another area and attack again, thinking the wand is a scrubbing brush.
They may well end up with a similar result, but they sure make it hard work.
Have to say that I regard multitasking to be more of a CURSE than an ASSET

Oops, didn't mean to offend sir honest ;D I didn't think you were being insulting, it was the inference of others and as per usual a little humour on a Friday afternoon, has been taken the wrong way, even though plastered with smileys.  Maybe I am different from most women, (but I think not) as in all parts of life I approach things in a systematical way. What's the point of making a job hard for yourself when all you had to do was take one step back and look at it from another angle.
As for multi tasking it only beomes a curse when you get it wrong ;D

garry22

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »
Me? I can use a wand in one hand, a bonnet in the other, spray the pre-sray (don't ask where from ), talk to the customer, write out an invoice and take the ££ and think what I will be cooking for dinner....all at the same time (oh and nearly forgot, post on here aswell)   

Wow, what a CV! There's a vacancy up here in the Midlands anytime you want Helen  :D ;D

robert meldrum

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »
That's what my wife tells me Helen, but I never mention the little discrepancies I notice. It's maybe just as big a curse being a " fussy git "as I know I am !

Almost any woman could do the job of cleaning carpets many are fitter and stronger than men imagine. My wife's a champion kick boxer and football coach and probably stronger than the majority of men who post on here but you don't need STRENGTH to do this job.

If anything involved in cleaning is dependent on strength the approach is wrong !

If you're serious about cleaning carpets you should try as many machines as possible as using what appears to be a lightweight portable might be more demanding on your back than a bigger machine that can be left in the van or easily manouvered on and off the van.  

Best wishes whatever you do and you will be welcome to keep posting by most on here. I like to challenge preconceived ideas or offer another view on peoples ideas.

zoe humble

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 06:33:13 pm »
Is this my first post or second on this forum  ::) good to start a debate.  My main concern was the physicality of moving heavy tanks / machines etc.  I need to get to a good supplier and get my hands on some kit basically then I'll know.  Anyone know of any machine suppliers in the south west? 

Its a funny old debate, I've worked in the IT industry for 18 years so actually for me to go an work with a load of women would be very different for me.  My last job I was the only woman and er managed some men. 

what have I noticed that people are all different, and men gossip just as much as women if not more (sometimes). Communication is a bit different and if you are a manager you soon work this out. 

Systematic - I don't think I'd want my brain to be any more systematic than it already is - I'll try not to stab at the carpet when ever the moment arises. 

I think a lot about these roles we take on is about perception people think that certain jobs are for certain people.

So to do my communication bit - anyone know of a good machine stockist in the southwest which I can visit please? 

thanks   :D 

john aitken

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
Hi I am new to CIU,  I've been lurking on the other forum.  I don't know anything about cleaning carpets... I am curious there seems to be mainly main (soley men) on this forum.  Is carpet cleaning just for blokes?  why is it the size / weight of the machines.   So If I wanted to go into this line of business alongside regular domestic work I need training and a machine can anyone give me a ballpark figure with regards to a basic kit set up for domestic jobs.  If I can stretch to it I can start doing some more research... thanks

perhaps men ARE better carpet cleaners than women  [just saying is all]

zoe humble

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:08 pm »
if that was the case we'd see more women entering the industry and a high level of women leaving the business.  That may be so but there wasn't a great deal of women posting in the first place in this forum which makes me think that they aren't attacted to the job in the first place.  So I figured this was because they thought they couldn't do the job beacuse of the equipment.  I dunno not exactly an expert here. 

from edge2edge

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 07:35:07 pm »
Zoe Go a few junctions up the M5 to Craftex and ask to demo their sabrina maxi machine.I will bet you could do a stonkin job with that after a sensible bit of training as its light as anything but quite punchy.Regards Alan(swindon)

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:49:07 pm »
[quote author=robert meldrum link=topic=107083.msg911040#msg911040 date=1282299417

Bobbie dear, I think you are geting a little confused between structured working and multi tasking, the latter of which you menfolk think you do, but ain't a patch on us women

Well how come Helen, women can't drive and touch up their make up at the same time ? - just saying  ;) ;D