Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

kinder clean

Website SEO - What keywords and phrases to use
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »
Hi guys

I'm dabbling with building a website and wanted those with some experience to suggest some keywords and phrases.

I've made a list and so far have:

carpet cleaner

carpet cleaning

upholstery cleaner

upholstery cleaning

stain removal

rug cleaner

rug cleaning

leather upholstery cleaner

leather upholstery cleaning

All the above will be used with the name of the town / towns I'm aiming the site at.

Is there anything else I need to consider ?

Cheers

Paul

Robert Watson

Re: Website SEO - What keywords and phrases to use
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:01:25 pm »
Hi Paul.
Anyone serious about doing their own site should go to Linda.com and sign up for a £25 a month
subscription.
Then spend a serious amount time and head space going through all the tutorials.
Warning. This action could is counter productive unless you are really into it.
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »
Depending on your website builder you may have too many characters if you submitted all that.
As carpet is one key word and cleaning is another etc etc i don't think you need to keep repeating them as you have listed here.
Why not
Carpet, cleaning, cleaner, upholstery, suite, leather, town (1), town (2) etc
Each keyword must appear in your body text at least 3 times
Your site description can also benefit by writing it as 'town' carpet cleaning by 'business name'

Put it this way, it works for me ;)

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:34:32 pm »
I'll keep it zipped....  ;D

garry22

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »
I'll keep it zipped....

Awh.. I thought we were in for some entertainment  :D

Paul,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean keywords in general or for use in the "keywords" meta tag? If it's the latter, you don't need to worry as they are pretty much redundant nowadays as a ranking factor.

Is that what you meant?

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:51:46 pm »
As this topic about SEO was recently bashed about perhaps one of you experts would like to tell me how I've got the top 3 places for carpet cleaning basingstoke when I apparently have no idea ;D
I'm of the opinion that there aren't any set rules, or if there are then they change on a weekly basis.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:05:48 pm »
^ Easy/no compition  :-X

basingstokecarpetcleaners.co.uk is that your site Neil? Thats whos No1 for my search.
Willclean has the most backlinks in the top 20. Sort out your title, discription and H1 tag and you should be golden.... :-X

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:24:34 pm »
basingstokecarpetcleaners.co.uk is that your site Neil? Thats whos No1 for my search.

No it's not, so different operating systems must give slightly different results

Sort out your title, discription and H1 tag and you should be golden.... :-X

I'll have a dabble, not quite sure what to do but I'll figure it out
Thanks

Adam P

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:05 pm »

No it's not, so different operating systems must give slightly different results

Sort out your title, discription and H1 tag and you should be golden.... :-X

I'll have a dabble, not quite sure what to do but I'll figure it out
Thanks

the different results is most likely because you keep clicking your own site so google will then automatically place it higher just for you as they'll think you want to view it more. to ensure you get accurate results make sure if you're logged in that you have custom web results (or something along those lines) switched off in your account settings.

as tony has said you're getting good results simply because of lack of competition, which is also true for pretty much all sites made by i think mark on these forums. lack of competition is the sole reason his porely "made" (perhaps made is too nice of a word for them) sites give any results.

kinder clean: understanding your keywords is great but don't focus on them too much on your own site. make sure your site has them but not in an un-natural way, but also make sure the sites that link to your site have them in the anchor text, e.g. this is anchor text. do that and you'll be golden ;)

garry22

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:42 pm »
Neil,

As the others have said, you are getting skewed results. You need to clear your browsing history.

If you are signed into Google, sign out (if you have web history activated, Google will serve you personalised results ie the ones you click on.

If using Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS > Internet Options > General    Then check the box "delete browsing history on exit"

If using Firefox go to TOOLS > Clear recent history.

This should give you some more accurate results.

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 07:44:40 pm »
Neil,

As the others have said, you are getting skewed results. You need to clear your browsing history.

If you are signed into Google, sign out (if you have web history activated, Google will serve you personalised results ie the ones you click on.

If using Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS > Internet Options > General    Then check the box "delete browsing history on exit"

If using Firefox go to TOOLS > Clear recent history.

This should give you some more accurate results.

Done all that so it now shows....
1. www.basingstokecarpetcleaning.co.uk/ - Cached - Similar (one page wonder-mine)
2. www.willclean.eu/ - Cached - Similar (main site-mine)
3. www.basingstoke-carpet-cleaning.co.uk/ - Cached - Similar (one page wonder-mine)

I'm sure like myself, the rest wouldn't say there no competition in this area. There's more than enough with numerous being from 20 or so miles away.

Adam P

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »
first i can find of your site is on page 2 neil but then it does depend on the exact words being used. do you know your most common search term used to find your site?

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »
first i can find of your site is on page 2 neil but then it does depend on the exact words being used. do you know your most common search term used to find your site?

'carpet cleaning basingstoke' produced the above results.
'carpet cleaner basingstoke' produces slightly different results having positions 4,9 and 10 although why my window cleaning site should appear as No2 is beyond me within that search :o

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
Have you checked how much traffic you are chasing, keywords in your domain will help
Chasing longtailed keywords will be easy but with less traffic, however if you are chasing 100 longtailed keywords then the traffic will increase, you will be targeting customers that want your services ie.
someone who wants their carpets cleaned in Basingstoke, may type in those exact the keywords carpets cleaned in Basingstoke, so if you have the domain name www.carpetcleaningbasingstoke.co.uk or com, with very little effot you can be number one, but you are chasing 260 searches a month, and only probable get 2-4 bookings a month times this by a hundred then you get a lot of work

garry22

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:06 pm »
I guess the message here is that if you want a domain name name containing keywords, then make sure you spell it right! (no offence intended Vernon  :))

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 07:43:35 pm »
and make sure the hyperlink works :D

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
Is there some where where you can find out for sure? Surely just asking carpet cleaners is a bit hit and miss.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Adam P

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »
but we aren't just carpet cleaners, we are business owners, and oddly enough there is a few who are experienced in this field anyway. understanding your keywords isn't rocket science (removed as to be fair comment was called for in this occasion) so something people on here can easily help with. if you wan you can try places like v7n.com which has some experienced users and some not so experienced users.

Vernon Purcell

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »
That was a typo, corrected it.
But yes
I have got www.carpetcleaningcrawley.com, its always near the top without much seo, and www.carpetcleaningcroydon.com is normally around page 2 without any seo
Just shout if we can point you in the right direction

garry22

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:10 am »
its always near the top without much seo

Vernon,

In my humble opimion, you are doing a good job, particularly off site.