This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Neal

Getting ready for winter tips
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:10:47 am »
This will be my first winter using wfp i am producing my water at home in a storage tank and then trasfering it to my van, any tips to protect against frost? the 300gpd unit is also outside as i have limited space.
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

Londoner

Re: Getting ready for winter tips
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 08:19:33 am »
When you say the RO is outside, where do you mean outside?

Richard Neal

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:41:58 am »
down the side of my house next to the outside tap,its quite well protected behind a fence but is open to the elements

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:57:01 am »
insulate your tank,  take the ro in side,  but if it is really cold,  dont work, leave tank empty and sit in the house,

Jack Wallace

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 09:08:23 am »
down the side of my house next to the outside tap,its quite well protected behind a fence but is open to the elements
One good hard frost and your pipes and membranes will pop. The pipes are so thin with a small amonut of water they will freeze VERY quickly. if you cant get the RO inside you will need to insulate it outside.
Build a box around it or put it some kind of shed or tool cabinet and line that with insulation. either way you need to get it under cover. that goes for ALL your pipes too.

Richard Neal

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:05:03 am »
Thats what i was thinking its all looking very delicate to leave outside, i was thinking of wiring the van van up for 240volt and putting a greenhouse heater in there at night has anyone else done anything like this??

paulben

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 11:28:31 am »
Last year I used a small greenhouse paraffin heater in van a bit risky but van not parked near house this year going to try 150w tubular heater run off inverter during the day to build heat up and insulate every thing possible
Do not steal the government hates competition

dai

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 12:32:29 pm »
Get down to Aldi sunday 8th August for neoprene waterproof fishing gloves. Around a fiver.

cleewindows

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:56:29 pm »
gwt yourself a wagtail and a pole for when its too cold,have a backpack in the house ready to use when the van is frozen.
get some 25 litre bottles ready and bring in the house before they freeze up!

Scrimble

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 04:39:32 pm »
RO inside the garage with tank with storage tank and transfer pump
winter tyres for van
some decent gloves
thermal clothes
heater for load area of van

what else is there?

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
get rid of the tank and get a 50L TROLLEY then you wont get any freeze ups or messing about with heaters in van.simply bring it in every night and put it on charge(i do that every night anyway! ;).!

do bottoms trad if cold and  if there could be freezing water on the ground issues and carry a bit of grit with you to put down on paths etc.

if VERY COLD then have a day off!if its persistently bad with snow then use your trad pole on first floor windows with screenwash in ya bucket if you really need to work!

get some good gloves!(ive got the glacier perfect curve and find they do keep  ya hands toasty!).

oh and i try and get a half days cleaning in on bad weather days as 6 half days in a week is better than nothing if its bad all week! ;D ;D

this will be my 17th winter window cleaning!first one wfp!last year was by far the worst but hopefully we wont get another like that for a while!

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Scrimble

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:33 pm »
50L trolley lol your havin a laugh

tank in the van gets filled in 15 mins with a transfer pump from storage tank in garage.

if water is freezing on the ground then its gonna freeze on the glass so you aint gonna be able to trad them either!

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »
i was only joking allstar!! ;) ;D ;D ;D

my trolley is fine for me for now.i fill up barrels in the van from a hose down the stairs via a big 25L DI VESSEL!(i live in a first floor flat!)
price higher/work harder!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:35 pm »
I always found trad less vulnerable to freeze ups because I just stuck a load of screenwash in the bucket with the water - 50/50 if necessary.
I have worked with it freezing on the ground though.  There is a point where it can freeze n the ground but not on the glass - it's a delicate balance though.

Newannaive

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:28 am »
I always found trad less vulnerable to freeze ups because I just stuck a load of screenwash in the bucket with the water - 50/50 if necessary.
I have worked with it freezing on the ground though.  There is a point where it can freeze n the ground but not on the glass - it's a delicate balance though.
or just take hot water  ;)

Londoner

Re: Getting ready for winter tips New
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 08:09:20 am »
Thats what i was thinking its all looking very delicate to leave outside, i was thinking of wiring the van van up for 240volt and putting a greenhouse heater in there at night has anyone else done anything like this??

I have a little 500W froststat heater I put in the van. It must be a froststat then set it on a really low setting and it just keeps the temperature above freezing.  I got mine off ebay for £9.99. This was after trawling round the garden centres looking at greenhouse heaters in the £60-70 range