This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Ian101

Turning point of your business when you 1st started out
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:01:02 am »
Been going a couple of months now and prepared for the long haul (financially and mentally) trying to keep looking foward to when I have a full round of about 400 customers (currently on 68) and no need to canvass every day  ::)  ::)

Can you remember to when you first started and when you hit the turning point of things really starting to happen for your business. ??

For me it will be when I buy my Astra van with pure freedom system I rekon.  :D ... about this time next year I rekons.

lyndy

Re: Turning point of your business when you 1st started out
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:27 am »
When we took someone on,as we don't do any cleaning ourselfs

Ian101

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:35 am »

;D Im still a few steps away from that stage

cleewindows

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:16:26 am »
Mine will be when I get to 200 charts. And go full time.

lyndy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:02 am »
It's ok for us as we do other stuff to pay the bills

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
mine was when i didnt have to work with the windy i started working for 17 years ago for £20 a day as id built up enough to go it alone!i worked with him for 12 months then bought a small round and went canvassing every weekend for 6 months and worked with him a few days a week until i could pay my bills.i then grew and grew through the 90s and even had a few lads working with me but in the end due to personal problems i sold some of my round and scaled down and even contemplated jacking it in altogether 5 years ago!

im now a bit older and wiser(38)and i would NEVER employ again,too much hassle,i got let down many times and sacked a few guys on their first day! ;D ;D

i also had a big underpriced round that thankfully is getting better with price rises and taking on better paying work.

i must admit im cheesed off today,its chucking it down again and im not feeling too good so im giving it a miss!

i have 344 custies and find im struggling to get round sometimes.most monthly/some 6 weekly/8weekly.i have 160 very compact 3 bedders/various 4/5 bedroom properties and converted barns/a few commercial and big country houses/block of flats.a good mixture plus the conny roof/fascia cleans etc as add on jobs.

im just getting to grips with wfp and i find the work a bit easier.ive bought a nice small van and trolley system and can carry 300L pure water every morning.

its swings and roundabouts in this job.some days i love it and others i really cant be bothered!its hard work if your a one man band doing everything,on the tools,collecting,admin etc and can get a bit lonely but its better than working for someone else in a dead end job!

best wishes for the future mate

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

bobby p

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 01:21:07 pm »
im still in the early day stage ,at 2 years in. iv a trad round of a shade over 200 and now iv lost a chunk off my belly ,im generally coping allrite and its up to date.  i had to use all my people skills in the first few months to clinch the jobs ,i would say i knew it was a safe bet once i passed the 100 customer mark

some days i wake up and really DONT want to do it,but must hit the streets otherwise it gets behind

Martin ccs

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:58:54 pm »
when i took staff on and got a few vans is prob when i thought about that.

tony talbot

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 03:43:24 pm »
when you can pay all your bills each month, and put a few quid away. thats when you've made it , it's not all about money and amount of custys, it's about quality of life. i've had a  lot of poop jobs over the years so i know the differance.

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »

hows that hoole work m8
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

tom2009

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:37:43 pm »
Been going a couple of months now and prepared for the long haul (financially and mentally) trying to keep looking foward to when I have a full round of about 400 customers (currently on 68) and no need to canvass every day  ::)  ::)

Can you remember to when you first started and when you hit the turning point of things really starting to happen for your business. ??

For me it will be when I buy my Astra van with pure freedom system I rekon.  :D ... about this time next year I rekons.
I've been going 6 months Ian and I know what you mean about the long haul - the hardest part being dealing with the different types of folks out there. I've finally got some signage on the motor and some uniform (feel like I'm building a bit of a brand if you know what I mean) I just kept plugging away with the door knocking and aiming for a certain number of custies a week and now feel that the pressure is off a bit.

Tom

david watts

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 06:53:21 pm »
when i passed 75 k a year ;)
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

david watts

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »
joking when i got a phone call off some old lass and got a full day on an estate
all big houses turned out underpriced but got me going.
and geting a well known supermarket; which i dont have now,
life is like a box of chocolates you get the crap no one else wants

Ian101

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »

hows that hoole work m8

sound as a pound Gav ... just love climbing over walls and gates  ;D without getting arrested lol

Ian Rochester

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:22 pm »
I'm still waiting for the turn, this hill's not getting any smaller!!!!

The biggest turning points/milestones for us were:

Proper vehicle with livery on the side
Business cards
First employing someone
First major commercial contract
Using a software program like George
Stopping going out collecting and taking all payments by BACs or Cheque
Renting premises
Buying premises
Being able to take a holiday without panicing that the business will collapse without you at the helm!!! (my current personal turning point)

Financial figures are not really significant, though they are nice to reach, a former member on here "Fox" used to say, "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity!"