Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sseddon

WFP Advice
« on: August 03, 2010, 05:06:45 pm »
I'm still new & started WFP. I'm gradually building a customer base but I'm not happy yet with WFP. I'm using a Pure Freedom Trolley with Vikan brush.

I've cleaned my own windows about 6 times now, but even though they are less than a year old with new frames, they are still spotting. You can only see it from inside, but they are there. Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, I do my own windows & my confidence is blown again.

My method is scrub frames, then glass, then rinse. It seems to me that if I cleaned glass only (tricky to totally avoid the frame) I would get better results as the problem is the drips from the frame. The spots are only right at the top of the glass.

So, please, any advice would be welcome.

I have recently upped the flow to 60 and on 1st cleans, scrub frames, then go back and scrub glass only from advice on here. 1st cleans I believe are ok now as the frames are pretty near dry by the time I get to the glass. But in truth, and here is the problem, unless you can see from the inside, I'll never know if they were any good.

Re: WFP Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:14:58 pm »
try scrubing just teh top of the glass and top frame  leave 10 mins then clean the glass and see what the results are what is the tds of the water coming out of the system,

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »
im newish to wfp as well Agleam i find that if you look closely enough you ll find spotting on most windows.usually the odd one or two!no system is perfect!

try scrubbing frames then rinsing frames all around,then go back to first window and concentrate on the glass esp near the seals,then rinse brush off 2in from the top seal thoroughly.if that doesnt do it then your own windows are just not wfp friendly.

sometimes the windows will come up crap no matter how you clean them!thats the down side of wfp im afraid! ::) ::)

make sure you learn trad as well mate as you ll need to mix it up a bit as wfp is not always the best method.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Sseddon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »
try scrubing just teh top of the glass and top frame  leave 10 mins then clean the glass and see what the results are what is the tds of the water coming out of the system,

Usually zero, but it was 3 when I cleaned yesterday. Back to zero now.

I understand about letting the top dry off, and that's ok on a 1st clean, but what about ongoing? It will be really slow. Not too much of a problem right now as I don't have many customers.

Sseddon

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 06:43:04 pm »
make sure you learn trad as well mate as you ll need to mix it up a bit as wfp is not always the best method.

regards

dazmond

Yep, am learning trad as well.

Susan @ MB Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:18 pm »
Are you hitting/cleaning the vents at the top when you clean?
I ask this because if you accidently splash water inside the vents they will drip for hours and you wouldn't believe how much dirt gets inside an air vent.

Matt

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:05:42 pm »
if you are getting them on 2 3 cleans then it means that the top is dirty,   try scrubbing more on first cleans

Sseddon

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »
if you are getting them on 2 3 cleans then it means that the top is dirty,   try scrubbing more on first cleans

Will try that, but how do you know when enough is enough? If your arm doesn't ache it's not enough?  :D

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »
i have started on first cleans where possible using a custy outside tap and hose and washing the windows down with a sprayer  leaving ten mins then wfp with pure water,  if not poss just use lots of scrubbing on the top  and then wash off

Sseddon

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:09:38 pm »
Are you hitting/cleaning the vents at the top when you clean?
I ask this because if you accidently splash water inside the vents they will drip for hours and you wouldn't believe how much dirt gets inside an air vent.

Matt

Not generally, but I do clean them on a first clen. But that's ok, cos it's usually 10-20 minutes before I get back to do the glass.

peekeclean

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:50:38 pm »
I think sometimes we look to close at our own windows, i dont think my windows every come up spotless but then i look at them from 2 inches away when dry. In the real world people veiw from 2 foot away and they look great so if you dont get a complaint your doing ok.
I use to worry and spend ages on a window and even now probably spend a bit more time than others but it will all get quicker the more you do.
If your water ppm is below 5 and you scrub the top of the frame and reinse well then it should be fine.

joe

cat9921

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:41 pm »
i
sometimes the windows will come up crap no matter how you clean them!thats the down side of wfp im afraid! ::) ::)

regards

dazmond

No that's not true  ::) I have said it time and time again that there is a skill to learn how to WFP all windows and sadly there are people that don't think there is, These are the ones that never learn and so find some windows that will never come clean  ;)

Adders

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 11:30:35 pm »
ADDERS YOU VE EVEN SAID IT YOURSELF!some windows just dont come up good no matter what you do with the brush!

dont start all that rubbish about wfpoling being a skill! ;) ;D ;D ;Dyes better technique maybe and im learning how to avoid runs and being careful with oxidised frames but its certainly not skill!!

2 or 3 cleans wfp sorts out most windows and frames but theres always the threat of runs and spots if you dont keep an eye on what ya doing!!

finding windows that spot everytime= BLADE OFF AFTER WFP!

horrible flakey wooden windows=TRAD THEM!

oxidised frames=AVOID FRAMES,JUST CLEAN GLASS or TRAD EM!

Sseddon

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:27 am »
I'd call it a skill. In some ways more so than trad. With trad, anyone can get a window spotless with time and straight strokes and a cloth to wipe the blade and frame. With WFP it is much more difficult for a newbie.

I was at my gym the other day on the cross trainer looking out of the windows and every one had spots & runs.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:00 am »
dont listen to rubbish posted on here about some windows not being wfp friendly . i do all windows wfp .have done thr last 4 years , with minor problems first 3 months and since then perfect . just give glass a good rinse and persevere

cat9921

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:25 am »

dont start all that rubbish about wfpoling being a skill! ;) ;D ;D ;

YOU DOUBT MY POWERS  >:(  ;D

ADDERS YOU VE EVEN SAID IT YOURSELF!some windows just dont come up good no matter what you do with the brush!

Yes I did but since then I have found out that there are ways to get them good with WFP, The skill is not how to use WFP on problem windows  ::) The skill is knowing what to do on problem windows  ;D

Adders  ;)

bobby p

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 08:22:15 am »
im trad only, and  what can look perrrrfect from outside can look rubbish from the inside ! ,all manner of streaks are obvious only from inside . As long as nobodys complaining to you  theres no problem is there

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 08:30:50 am »
barry maybe ill think differently in a few months time.im coming up to the end of second cleans on most of my round and im finding a lot of windows coming up much better.

adders are you a superhero?what powers do you possess?ahh!i know the secret ingredient for beaded glass!VINEGAR!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:44 am »
im trad only, and  what can look perrrrfect from outside can look rubbish from the inside ! ,all manner of streaks are obvious only from inside . As long as nobodys complaining to you  theres no problem is there

Well, do um properly then  ;D; and you won`t leave streaks, even trad.
  But I don`t suppose it matters if you get don`t complaints  ;).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

bobby p

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 02:18:32 pm »

Well, do um properly then  ;D; and you won`t leave streaks, even trad.
  But I don`t suppose it matters if you get don`t complaints  ;).

you can over analyze this job and theres no point . this forums good but it encourages over analyzing/over egging  .  before i discovered the forum i was quite happily squeegeeing away with a basic B nQ Squeegee with a 3 month old rubber in it and still no complaints . lets face it,the customers only alternative is doing the thankless job themselves and dont they hate the idea