Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Rob_Mac

The longest van on the road
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »
I am looking at buying the longest  van on the road. I currently have a LWB Transit & a LWB Movano but neither are long enough.

I know I can get XLWB Sprinters and Transits etc but I saw a double rear axled van last week, that looked about 27 feet.

I saw it in passing and as I was driving in traffic couldn't get a second look for the name. The van will be converted for accommodation and will have a full 1000 litre tank and equipment area.

I am also looking at moving up to 7.5 tonne vehicles but then I start with height access issues!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Rob ;D

Richard Neal

Re: The longest van on the road
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:06:07 pm »
Theres a firm round here in colchester essex call FAME they do a lot of police incident vehichles that sort of thing basically huge conversions on the back of a chassis cabs, might be worth a google
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

DaveG

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:38 pm »
You can't polish a turd

Alistair@AWC

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:25:31 pm »
Rob,

Iveco do a Twin Axle 7t Van, my guess is thats the van you have seen!

Regards

Al

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:43:44 pm »
Thanks for that guys

Been looking at the Iveco for quite some time but this van threw me last week. Probably was a custom job. I have never seen a van that long anywhere.

Had a look at the site - thanks, very similar. I may speak to them tomorrow!

If I can't get longer off the shelf Iveco will be the next one then.

Rob ;D

richywilts

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:54:30 pm »
its gotta be the iveco rob or the long long wheel base transit couldnt u get a 7.5 tonner
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

Rob_Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:59 pm »
I could and I could probably go to 30 foot but then I gain in height. Aren't 7.5 tonners about 12 foot high.

I really am in two minds what to do, I broke down on Tooting High Street on Sunday, with the Movano & Ifor Williams trailer, 32 foot long but not all storage because of the A frame.

The trailer has about ten feet of loading and I have a 650 litre tank under the bed in the van and enough room to put pressure washer and gear in back.

I've done this with the Transit LWB as well and have a second trailer that is 14 feet of loading space but I have shortened it by four feet to allow for another bunk and kitchen set up.

The breakdown was master drive cylinder and clutch, cost me 1300 all told and I know I am putting excess strain on vans with the load I am carrying round.

It may be when I get another vehicle at the end of the year I will go for the 7.5 tonne, the stores I work on have good access and for other smaller access works I have various combinations.

I really want to make a really decent sized camper conversion but not pull a trailer about

Rob ;D

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 11:48:48 pm »
Rob, why not go the 7.5T route but get the box lowered. I used to drive them and the box's are easily 10+ ft in the back.
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

Rob_Mac

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:14 pm »
How do you go about getting the box lowered?? Is it a case of chopping some of the height off the walls and reattaching the roof panels??

Rob ;D

prestige cleaners

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:38:46 am »
I'm in the market for a lwb van, poss a sprinter, want to be able to fit my motorbike and mtbs in the back, may transfer the internals of my caravan into it. Can't wait.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:56:00 am »
you could always go down the route of getting a 7.5ton with a sleeper cab in.

dont forget that you are then covered by tacho laws,etc,
max working time not just driving time.daily hours,weekend rest breaks.etc.
so when you are pressure washing that should still be recording that on the tacho as other work.then your 9 hrs rest,etc.
have a good think before you go down this route, ;) ;) ;)
ex transport manager/driver

sherco

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:32:04 am »
You could get a motorcycle race van, these are normal very long and have storage etc for bikes plus accommodation. Or get a horse lorry.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:06:36 am »
How do you go about getting the box lowered?? Is it a case of chopping some of the height off the walls and reattaching the roof panels??

Rob ;D

Something like that.

A guy I used to work with used to conver Jaguar estate cars into hurses for a funeral director. If they can do it on one of them, a box shouldn't be a problem.

Worth a ring round in my opinion
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

gary evans

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
Hi Rob,

Hows it going busy back on the road again I see.

I will give u a call at some point see what you are up to, i,m trying to re-organise a lot here again, been another big lose of work since april, but, replaced about half of so far.

Referrence that big contract we spoke about, its not dead in the water, but been a lot of changes with staff, currently on the 3rd person in charge to liase with, had to do a lot of changes & paperwork for them to keep it going recently.

Just re-newing all my accreditations so busy with that, & trying re-evaluate turn-over to implement changes or chase new work urgently.

Other than that i keep sneaking off in the van regularly, thats your fault by the way, will have to show you one of the days.

Ref long vans they do xlwb versions of merc & iveco that look like bus,s, other than that you have x-horse box,s usualy with a day conversion at front.

All the best

Gary

Richard Neal

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 08:01:47 am »
I used to tow a lot behind a lwb sprinter, the merc was fitted out as a workshop and all i could legally tow behind it was about 650kgs because of the weight, i never got pulled over and you see vans all the time towing plant and stuff but if you havent got a tacho and the kerbside weight sorted it is illegal

Rob_Mac

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 08:21:29 am »
I seem to have a big arrow pointing down at me that says pull me over.

Been stopped three times by VOSA.

Once in Hayes for being overweight - caution!

Once locally - not overweight but because the axles looked low on the back and the last time driving to Newbury at Junction 14 of the M6.

Told me to get a tachograph fitted and gave me seven days.

I have one fitted to the Movano and fully expect to either retro fit one or buy something with one in it for all future vehicles.

They aren't a nuisance but you do have to watch everything you are doing, try doing 60 mile per hour when everyone else is doing 70 -90 for three hours and being overtaken by waggons and caravans!!!

The break times have to be adhered to and because I travel a lot of distance have to be taken into account.

Dirty - when you get round to getting a conversion sorted you will never be at home and wonder why you didn't do it earlier!!

Gary - I Love you xxx

Rob ;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 03:57:55 pm »
rob
if you unsure about the tacho laws and whats involved then feel free to call me,
they changed a little seens i last drove a lgv 5years ago,but the basics are the same.

email me at rich-frank@hotmail.co.uk
then i email you my number if you want to talk about it.

prestige cleaners

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 05:37:25 pm »
just seen a merc sprinter 312 lwb, 2.9cc, 1998, 145k miles, full length awning, part converted (bed) mot mar 2011, at £2650 open to offers, what do you guys think. i know the mileage is good, but its 12 yrs old, he says only a few rust spots, and a side loading door handle is broken,

Richard Neal

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 05:45:09 pm »
I had a 312 good torque and very smooth mine had done 450,000 miles when i got and had a new engine and gearbox at 300,000 i sold it at over half a mill miles on it and is still going strong, these motors are bomb proof if services regularly

telboy

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 09:07:53 am »
I am looking at buying the longest  van on the road. I currently have a LWB Transit & a LWB Movano but neither are long enough.

I know I can get XLWB Sprinters and Transits etc but I saw a double rear axled van last week, that looked about 27 feet.

I saw it in passing and as I was driving in traffic couldn't get a second look for the name. The van will be converted for accommodation and will have a full 1000 litre tank and equipment area.

I am also looking at moving up to 7.5 tonne vehicles but then I start with height access issues!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Rob ;D

Why do you need something so long ???