Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Philius

Help/advice needed for trad newby please
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:16:44 pm »
Hi Guys,

After being made redundant a month or so ago I've been doing some canvassing and have built up a round of 50 or so customers so far.

Approx 20 of those are all on the same estate and were previously cleaned by a wfp guy. However, he left spots all over their windows and will now only entertain a trad wc - me ;D

However, about 1/2 of these houses (and approx 75%) of the houses round my way are built for wfp - ie they all have windows above a sloped roof, and most of them are leaded..... as per pics below

What is the best way of getting to these windows? Anchor the ladder at a dodgy angle? Get up and walk on the roof? Use a pole (reluctant to do this as the finish won't be as good)?

Also, what would be the best ladders to invest in (for accessing these windows in particular)? Pointers or a combination ladder? Currently using some bone shakers from b&q (courtesy of my dad) but now that I've got some customers I can justify buying a decent set......

Cheers,

Phil

cleewindows

Re: Help/advice needed for trad newby please
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:32:20 pm »
you be carefull if your going round taking peoples customers they wont be happy!
You should ask if they have a window cleaner first before offering quotes,just a warning as window cleaners dont like this sort of thing!

Philius

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
They don't have a wc anymore, they all told him not to come back as he did a bad job.....

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:39:13 pm »
i have a few like these i poss i walk across them never a had problem (how steep is the picth) it does not look that bad from pic

bobby p

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:50:31 pm »
are they ABRU  ladders?  those are great ladders in my opinion,you start heaving some heavies around and you will soon choose the Abrus .

above a sloping roof i use a pole with A swivel squeegee on the end. excellent results but it takes practice,practice .  i have a 2foot pole a 8 foot pole and 18foot to do up above conservatory . 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »
They don't have a wc anymore, they all told him not to come back as he did a bad job.....

And that is the real problem. Not that he is wfp. You have made a rod for your own back by taking the easy route and agreeing with the custies and doing trad. (Which is understandable if you need to earn a few bob straight off the bat. But if you are not absolutely desperate then you should be learning how to wfp properly and educating your custies and make a proper money-folding business out of it.)

It's like sprinting at the start of a marathon - after 300 metres you're knackered. Or at best you take twice as long as the front runners.

Those houses are ideal for wfp and ideal for falling off of and maiming yourself trad. It only takes one slip.

Best of Luck!
It's a game of three halves!

Dick

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:11 pm »
You carry on earning a living, don't listen to all the wfp propaganda you can do just as good a job traditionally. A 3.5mt double extension ladder (Abru are good but get a trade one not domestic). You should be able to reach these by securing the ladder at the bottom and making sure the top is well on the cill.
As always, with care you should be OK.

cleewindows

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »
make sure you have insurance!

SteveAllan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:24:38 pm »
you be carefull if your going round taking peoples customers they wont be happy!
You should ask if they have a window cleaner first before offering quotes,just a warning as window cleaners dont like this sort of thing!

Oh please, thats business, sounds like he is doing a crap job and deserves to lose them to this new chap.

cleewindows

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 03:27:05 pm »
well lets hope he can do a good job else he will look a right mug!

Oh please, thats business, sounds like he is doing a crap job and deserves to lose them to this new chap.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »
You carry on earning a living, don't listen to all the wfp propaganda you can do just as good a job traditionally. A 3.5mt double extension ladder (Abru are good but get a trade one not domestic). You should be able to reach these by securing the ladder at the bottom and making sure the top is well on the cill.
As always, with care you should be OK.

Yeah carry a bag of sand to put against the bottom of the ladder like Dick does.  ::)
It's a game of three halves!

EZclean

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:20:28 pm »
if your ladders have spikes on, then put them in the grass and follow the contour of the sloping roof onto the cill or the brick work.

better still wfp em. honestly leaded windows are a dream.
EZclean - Cleaner Than Water

cat9921

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:36 pm »
don't listen to all the wfp propaganda you can do just as good a job traditionally.

bad advice m8 whenever there is a safer way of working and knowing that it takes longer to clean a window that is leaded So longer on the ladder  ::) you really should listen to the WFP boys  ;D
So glad that I found the light  ;D

Adders

gary999

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »
end of the day mate you got to make a living the best
way you can :)
dont envy you though if you have lots of leaded windows
to clean...i know its an obvious thing to state but its
a doddle with wfp. ;D

also far safer :)

Dick

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 08:08:31 pm »
Blimey Gold, you have a good memory about my trusty bag of sand.

Philius

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14:59 pm »
Cheers for the replies.

For the time being at least, I'm gonna have to stick with trad - once I've got a few more quid coming in I'll definately invest in some wfp equipment!

Need every penny at the moment though!

Can just about stretch to a decent set of ladders though, so what are the best ones to go for? Pointers or a triple combination ladder with a stand off?

Cheers,

Phil

supernova77

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
Approx 20 of those are all on the same estate and were previously cleaned by a wfp guy. However, he left spots all over their windows and will now only entertain a trad wc - me Grin

What are you going to say to your customers when you go WFP?

Andy