This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard Neal

Re: new on here but not so new window cleaner but need advice
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:22 pm »
is the di the one other side of booster pump?
Im not scared of heights, just falling from them.
mrwindowclean@hotmail.co.uk

steven ainger

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:44 pm »
its where the product water goes to after it comes out of the membranes.

chopsie

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:31:33 pm »
my booster pump goes in between filters and the membranes. If you got a 300 gpd ro (which I have) I am no expert but my DI is totally seperate to the ro, It looks like one of the pre filters (bottom of ro) and is connected with the pipe which delivers the water from the ro. If that makes sense  :-\
chopsie

Richard Neal

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:02 pm »
i'll have a look in the morning will i be able to know if its had it?

Spruce

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »
maybe a silly question......but have you got new resin in your DI?

Hi Chopsie,
But Richards TDS of 36 is too high, so replacing the resin will reduce this until the resin is spent. He needs to identify why the RO is not working efficiently. Good advise to check the output of each membrane separately to identify if the problem is just with one membrane.

I have a 300GPD Ro-man unit with 3 x 150GPD membranes.

The first filter the water goes into is the sediment filter and then it goes to the carbon filter (middle one) off to the membranes which are connected up in parallel and then through the last filter which is a 10 di filter and then onto the storage tank. (I don't have a booster pump and our water pressure is about 60 psi)

When I was on my own I only ever changed the resin in this filter when I changed the others - every 3 months. The inlet water was 254 and the outlet before di was around 2-3ppm. That's about a 99% efficiency. We wouldn't need to polish the water off through resin actually as this ppm figure is fine to work with. I have since added 2 more 10" di filters as there are 2 of us now and produce much more water. But this probably wasn't necessary as the water quality has improved to around 120 in the last year or so with new pipe work upgrades.

I was told never to buy cheap membranes made in China as they weren't as good as the American made ones. The last batch of membranes was purchased through Ro-man so will have to find a new supplier as our membranes are about 3 years old now.

Spruce
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

chopsie

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:36:18 pm »
suppose 36 is too high now you point that out, But suppose it depends on how high it is going in?
chopsie

Richard Neal

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »
cant remember exactly but its in the 100's

Richard Neal

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »
Felt c..p all day and managed to mess up my tds meter (ok now)so will try to figure out filters tomorrow ;)

Richard Neal

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 05:00:47 pm »
Had a good look at my set up today and this is what ive found,
Took reading off of the 3 membranes one at a time reading 59ppm, 85ppm and 22 ppm.
Water going into resin after booster pump 79ppm and out other side and into tank 49ppm.
looking at membranes they dont look new, i checked o rings on end and they look ok.
i have noticed water level on resin filter is very low when running with or without pump is this a problem?
any advice much appreciated ???

Richard Neal

Re: RO problem checked TDS NOW NEED ADVICE!!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »
Any Help please? i know if i phone my local supplier he will try to sell me a new set up and unless i have to i realy dont want to!!

andyM

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 07:17:43 pm »
Richard I would recommend you change all 3 pre-filters, membranes and your resin.
The reading from your membranes sounds too high and its doubtful the membranes are working efficiently. Your reading after DI is also too high at 49ppm so I reckon the resin has expired.
Thats probably not want you want to hear but its a second hand RO and probably well used.
If you renew the lot you can start producing pure water, new membranes will last approx. 2-3 years and about 6 months for the pre-filters.
One of the Plebs

Richard Neal

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 07:35:31 pm »
thanks for that mate would it be cheaper to buy a whole new system or just replace the filters?

andyM

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 10:10:14 pm »
Richard I would just replace the items I have recommended you change. 3 pre-filters about £15, membranes maybe around £75 and resin for your DI. From what you have said you have a pumped system and it all works. A new one would probably cost you £200-£300.
The items are consumables and do need changing when they have expired, its just a shame that after purchasing the ro second hand you now have to fork out.
However everything should then be ok for a good while and produce plenty of pure water for you.
When you change the 3 pre-filters disconnect the hose from the 3rd filter that connects to the membrane housing.
Fit the new filters and tighten the housings and turn on the tap so that water flows through all of the filters and out of the hose you have disconnected from the membrane. Its important to do this to flush out any debris. Flush for about 5-10 mins or until water runs clear.
Fit your new membranes into the housings and use a very thin film of vaseline on your finger to lubricate the rubber seals. Connect your hoses back up and disconnect your DI and run the system while checking for leaks. Run your water into the drain and keep running it until your Tds comes down to a reasonable level. You should get between 0ppm and 15ppm.
Finally connect your DI with the new resin and you should be getting 0ppm (pure water).
One of the Plebs

Richard Neal

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
Thankyou mate you have been a great help, realy appreciate it

Richard Neal

Re: Big Thanks for all the advice the now next question!!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19:23 am »
Thanks again for all the help, so the next question how do i get the filters out, i have no wrench and wheres the best place i can get them? im near colchester essex if anyones on here whos local or any good internet sites??

andyM

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 12:46:34 pm »
Richard I have a one wrench for the filter housings and another one for the membrane housings. I presume other Ro's are the same so you will need both.
If someone on here lives close to you they may be able to help you out. Other than that you should be able to get them on ebay or any of the usual WFP equipment suppliers. Shouldn't be much more than a couple of quid each.
One of the Plebs

andyM

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »
The prices from this supplier seem quite reasonable:
 http://stores.ebay.co.uk/collinswaterproducts
Although they do the filter housing wrench I can't see the membrane housing wrench on there.
Might be worth contacting them if you can't get one anywhere else.
One of the Plebs

Richard Neal

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »
Thanks for all your help mate

A & J Owen Window Cleaning

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 01:10:02 pm »
fit a di vessel to the ro as a polisher will bring it to 0ppm 

Richard Neal

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 10:14:18 pm »
Thanks to AJM and all you others who have helped me sort this out i have now replaced all 3 membranes, filters and resin and am getting pure water 000pm, when i took the filters and membranes out they were all green so he hadnt replaced them before i brought it but never mind as i now know my system inside and out and i know its all new and working 100%

I got all the bits from  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/collinswaterproducts delivered for under £100 and was here within a day,
Thanks again
Richard