This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

afssm123

Would customers want this?
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:57:42 pm »
Today, in readiness for setting my system WFP system in place I installed an outside water tap.

Before I did this I was quoted £75 plus parts by a plumber.

I bought a very good DIY kit from Screwfix and installed it myself in just over an hour - and quiet frankly it was a piece of p**s to fit (excuse my french)

the kit from screwfix cost me £13.99

So as a slight diversification to window cleaning would customers without an outside tap want this service - honestly with experience I could fit this much quicker - So if I charged £50 including the kit thats a nice little profit for less than an hours work.

I am not sure what insurance cover I would need - but before I look into all that - is this a service customers would want?

mci services

Re: Would customers want this?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:07:29 pm »
a few guys do the odd bit of handyman jobs, i know one guy started window cleaning but now is a full time handyman, where i did a bit here and there but now am too busy cleaning windows to bother with it.
but the public expect window cleaners to do things at a fraction of the price for some reason

but yeah no reason not to offer another service if you can just inform your insurance company, i had a dual cover on mine

darragh windows

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »
Today, in readiness for setting my system WFP system in place I installed an outside water tap.

I bought a very good DIY kit from Screwfix and installed it myself in just over an hour - and quiet frankly it was a piece of p**s to fit (excuse my french)

So as a slight diversification to window cleaning would customers without an outside tap want this service - honestly with experience I could fit this much quicker - So if I charged £50 including the kit thats a nice little profit for less than an hours work.

I am not sure what insurance cover I would need - but before I look into all that - is this a service customers would want?

if it is one of thoses kits that has a screw in cutting tap to connect to your mains you will have a drop in pressure some of them cut it from 15mm down to 10mm not really what you want if you are using a ro
jamie

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »

Don't forget you need permission from the water supplier before fitting an outside tap  :)
Sussex by the sea

mci services

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:34:41 pm »

Don't forget you need permission from the water supplier before fitting an outside tap  :)

why?

DaveG

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »
I packed in plumbing to do window cleaning..less stress !!!!!
You can't polish a turd

Re: Would customers want this? New
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:21 pm »
 ;)

DaveG

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:20 pm »
I dont think you need permission to fit an outside mate, although certain unvented water storage/ heating systems you do   :)
You can't polish a turd

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Actually its out dated rubbish but it was in the regulations at one point
 ;D
Sussex by the sea

mci services

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 09:48:43 pm »
the only regulation that i am aware of is it should be a one way valve to stop dirty water syphoning back into the mains

Re: Would customers want this? New
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »
 ;)

martinsadie

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 10:18:46 pm »
youd be moaning if plumbers started cleaning windows as well as plumbing,each to thier own  ;)

bad trippy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:04:30 pm »
By law you need to fit a double check valve on the inside.
Some kits come with a double check valve which is built into the tap, however water regs insist on the double check valve to be fitting on the inside of the house
www.clearviewbristol.co.uk
Add me on Facebook clear view window cleaning

mci services

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 11:07:26 pm »
By law you need to fit a double check valve on the inside.
Some kits come with a double check valve which is built into the tap, however water regs insist on the double check valve to be fitting on the inside of the house

yep thats the one i was meaning

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 11:09:52 pm »
I do this type of work and do out side taps. Sounds good a 50 quid. When you are starting and need to make ends meet it a good way to do it. I don’t care for the plummers. As they need cash to and will often do a crap job. But as you build up you will find window washing is easier and make more money per hour. Doing other jobs messes you timing and round up. I some time ago had a custys ask if I can fit a new shower which I then down. The pressure still stayed low after I put in the new shower. I asked her  if she had closed any other stop cocks after 4 hours I found the guilty tap in the back of a coubort, she said she forgot so my rich picking was not that profitable any more.

afssm123

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:52 pm »
Hmmm - it was just a thought. I dont really know if its something that would be of interest to customers or not. I only posted it as I had read a thread on here about window cleaners mowing lawns etc so thought it might be of interest.

mci services

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:34 am »
Hmmm - it was just a thought. I dont really know if its something that would be of interest to customers or not. I only posted it as I had read a thread on here about window cleaners mowing lawns etc so thought it might be of interest.

thats ok mate thats what forums are for to ask questions and you will get many answers ;)