Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

chris3234

costs involved if ure on a water meter at home
« on: July 10, 2010, 07:44:31 pm »
i'm looking into maybe buying a local round that uses wfp for tops and trad for bottoms,just wondered about how much water you use with wfp and costs involved when you pay for your water at home (water meter).Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

smearo

Re: costs involved if ure on a water meter at home
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:48:53 pm »
i would not bother mate worse job ever dont go there...

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:39:27 am »
i'm looking into maybe buying a local round that uses wfp for tops and trad for bottoms,just wondered about how much water you use with wfp and costs involved when you pay for your water at home (water meter).Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers

I rent a small place and my water usage (including waste) was about 34,000 litres for the first two months.  This will drop as I put a restrictor on the waste after a couple of weeks.  34,000 litres @ about £1.70 per cubic metre is around £58.  I am not particularly frugal with my usage as I prefer to work with a decent flow rate.
If you do tops only, maybe reckon on about 40-45% of usage as more glass is on ground floors.

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:42:55 am »
£100 per month for me. Including household usage and sewerage.

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:49:33 am »
ive no idea about water costs yet!

im using on average about 1000L-1200L A WEEK and i wont know until start of feb.

some of your water bills are astronomical!are you guys using an RO thus a lot of water is wasted bumping up your bills a lot more?im DI ONLY with tap water 35TDS.
price higher/work harder!

Rob Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:57:24 am »
A cubic metre is 1000 litres.   Price here is around £2 per cubic meter including waste/ground water. So 1000 lites costs £2.00 basically or a 1lt cost .002p.  Obviously just water costs not including anything else

Dave Willis

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 08:02:35 am »
Yes, using an ro. Working on my own, I probably use 500l a day.

Rob Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 08:08:43 am »
Cheers

I rent a small place and my water usage (including waste) was about 34,000 litres for the first two months.  This will drop as I put a restrictor on the waste after a couple of weeks.  34,000 litres @ about £1.70 per cubic metre is around £58.  I am not particularly frugal with my usage as I prefer to work with a decent flow rate.
If you do tops only, maybe reckon on about 40-45% of usage as more glass is on ground floors.

Hi Paul,   Whats a restrictor on the waste?

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 08:10:21 am »
dave have you got  a lot of bigger jobs(commercial/large houses) to use 500L A DAY?

the most ive ever used was 300L on my first day.i have flowcontroller on 60(have done for first cleans)and tops and bottoms were cleaned with the pole bar a few ground floor windows.

or do you use the pole on everything?

i have a few commercial and big houses to do next week that ive never poled ill prob use more water on them days.

i average 200-250L A day although ive only been wfp a month

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:01 am »
I pole just about everything including all the doors and use a van mount with flow controller and tap.

I have a theory that trolley users naturally use less water due to the effort involved in humping containers about all day.

Conservatories and fascias suck up the most water - you can have your pump running solid for half an hour on a conservatory roof.

prestigeclean

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 08:17:48 am »
a 1000 litres where i am in kent is £1.07 , just ring them up they will tell you the cost regards alan

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:30:13 am »
i will do less work with a trolley probably.although ive a 50L TROLLEY so im not going back to the van as often.i have been leaving it in the van as a mini van mount for stand alone jobs.

i find it great for my 2 big estates of very compact work as i take it out in the morning and put it back at the end of the day.

ive decided to trad some tight spaced conservatories and some ground floor windows as i find it quicker and less hassle and pole ups and downs on bigger jobs or ones with windows in good condition.im just learning at the moment the best way to economise my time and effectiveness on all my jobs.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 08:44:19 am »
i also prefer to give the doors a quick wipe with a scrim/microfibre rather than pole them as they take ages!.you prob do this in winter due to water issues anyway.

i always have my pouch on my belt with a few cloths in as the sills are sometimes still a bit mucky even when you ve gone over them with the brush.

as for connys i usually do these as a seperate job with hose on custys outside tap if they are polycarbon.although i will get the "can you go over the conny every 4 months now" now im fully wfp"

as for fascias do you get asked a lot to do these while your doing the windows?i would also do these as a seperate job again with hose on custys outside tap and "book them in"

although as time goes on with wfp ill prob clean these fascias and connies as "maintenance"cleans at a lower price and just clean them with pure as i do the windows.

is that what you do dave?

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:49 am »
Pretty much, although I don't use tap water very often - it's just too hard to splatter windows with round my way - one accidental squirt and the limescale is a mare to shift. Guttering on conservatories usually gets cleaned along with the glass and frames on every clean.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 09:20:56 am »
£100 per month for me. Including household usage and sewerage.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Paul Coleman

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 10:09:16 am »
Cheers

Hi Paul,   Whats a restrictor on the waste?

It's just a small plastic tap on the waste pipe of the RO.  At the point I have fitted it, it is a John Guest 3/8" pipe.  The tap is designed to receive the pipe on either side.  I just cut the waste pipe and push fitted the tap in.  Very tricky to set exactly though as even a tiny movement can make a big difference to the flow rate through the waste pipe.  I've got it set about 60/40 pure/waste on a Merlin.  It certainly ups the resin usage and possibly shortens the life of the membranes.  However, the ratio before fitting the restrictor was about 1/4 pure/waste.  I did my sums and the extra resin costs are far less than the higher water charge would have been.  The unknown quantity is what it will do to the membranes.  In about 10 weeks the output from the RO has gone from 22 to 28 TDS.  Before I had a restrictor it was about 15 TDS.
The Merlin was fine when I was not on a meter as I could just let it run freely through the waste.  Ultimately, I may choose to buy a different RO which is more efficient than a Merlin.

poleman

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 02:21:45 pm »
aim on a meter and own a merlin and low pressure!!!

with resin cost...I pay £200  :o which aim not happy about  :(

Paul Coleman

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 02:43:54 pm »

Is that £200 a month Andy?
Sounds quite a lot.
That's why I put a restrictor on the waste.  I calculated that the higher resin cost would be a lot less than the higher water charges.  The unknown quantity so far is how long the membranes will last.

John Walker

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »

I'm in Canterbury and I've calculated my cost to be .0033 pence per litre at current rates which includes both supply and waste invoices. 

(Don't forget to bring the waste water cost when doing any caclulations - it's usually worked out against around 90% of the supply volume).

I've now put a separate water meter in line with my filtration system so I can have an accurate cost per year for accounting purposes.
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

poleman

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:46:54 pm »

Is that £200 a month Andy?
Sounds quite a lot.
That's why I put a restrictor on the waste.  I calculated that the higher resin cost would be a lot less than the higher water charges.  The unknown quantity so far is how long the membranes will last.

YES thats a month mate :-( what aim hoping of doing is moving and getting a 40/40 RO set up!