This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sapphire Window Cleaning

Leaking openers
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »
How do you guys deal with leaking openers?
I had a new customer today with wooden georgian style windows, and noticed that the openers were leaking a little, the customer wasn't too happy about it.
If I were to clean these windows traditionally I would have to charge her double as it would take atleast twice as long to clean them the "rag and polish" way.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

james44

Re: Leaking openers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »
If I were to clean these windows traditionally I would have to charge her double as it would take atleast twice as long to clean them the "rag and polish" way.

Why would it take you twice as long trad unless you are slow!

geefree

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:38:45 pm »
Because they are Georgian 

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:21 pm »

Why would it take you twice as long trad unless you are slow!

Have you ragged and polished georgian windows? lol
Plus I would be going up and down the ladders, which would slow me down considerably.

Matt

james44

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:46:44 pm »
Yes matt i do rag gorgian windows this way so easy!

First thing you need is a good quality microfibre.  Not the light green unger rubbish that gets water logged so quickly.  If your talking a 4 weekly clean, and the window are not that dirty just do the following.

Couple of swipes with the mop end on each window, leaving a water/washing up liquid solution on the window.  No more that what you need, just enough or you will waste time drying.  Then get your microfibre and 3 or 4 passes up and down and it comes up A1.  It takes a matter of seconds.  Much quicker than the usual trad technique, even WFP.

I clean lightly dirty windows (normal and leaded) like this all the time.  Its a lightening fast method that produces good results.  Keep the squeege in the holster.

this was from another poster joe!

but instead of microfibre i use a damp scrim and buff with a dry one!

If they are not to dirty wet scrim dry scrim!

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:53:28 pm »
I use spray bottle with pure water and a microfibre now. but it will still be slower than WFP as it only takes 1-2 seconds to move from one window to the other, where as traditionally you have to climb up the ladder then work then climb down then move the ladders to the next window then quickly check the ladders are in a safe position then climb them and clean.

Matt

geefree

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:05:46 am »
dump it  ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:54 am »
dump it  ;)

Yes, I agree - but only if you've tried turning the pressure right down on the offending windows.
It's a game of three halves!

james44

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:15:05 pm »
Yes dump it or trad it? but don`t expect a very compact round if you keep dumping houses if they are not wfp friendly!

Re: Leaking openers New
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:39:18 pm »
 ;)

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »
Is that because wfp is better/more popular?

Is this question for James or myself?

Matt

Smudger

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:06:28 pm »
Matt is the  opener leaking in from the top or the bottom where it closes ?

i've had/got some that have leaked at the top - usually first clean. - if this looks likely i always tell the
custy first this may happen due to the intensity of the clean and age of the frames.

thereafter i do minimal clean/water on that opener and get no water ingress. (so far!)

if it leaks at the closure ( depending on style ) so no matter how little water you use it runs inside to the
lower payne then you may have to come to an agreement to leave those or trad and price accordingly.

i have 2 new windows like this (well 3/4 year old frames) they leak wfp and in the rain! so custy does not
have them cleaned every time ( over a conny so no trad option )

but to be honest its only a little trickle at worst

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 04:33:49 pm »
The opener leaks from the top, it runs from of the window above the opener, I hardly used any water, just enough to wet the brush then used this to scrub, then I did the lightest of rinses.
The job is only £20 per month. and its half hour drive away, but I do have customers in that area.
I am seriously thinking of dumping the customer, as she wants me to clean them traditionally, so no regards to my safety.

Matt

james44

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 05:03:40 pm »

Better hmmm notice the majority of posts looking for help are from wfp operators and not trad!

Popular with wfp operators maybe!

What you have to remember all these problems that wfp spring up were not a problem trad

wfp is good on some houses but they have to be hand picked and you won`t know until you clean them if they are a problem!

You can trad any house!

If i am going to clean a house that i know is not wfp friendly i will trad it not dump them, i built a very compact round and i am not going to ruin it by dumping customers because wfp does not suit the house,

Some days now i just go out and trad other days wfp i like the mix, if i was to wfp every day i would jack window cleaning in as wfp is so boring

I sold my round a few years ago and have it all back and more, when i think back it was because of wfp i just got so fed up with it even though i was doing a good job i just did not enjoy window cleaning anymore i did not feel that way trad, so that`s why now i like to mix it to stop the boredom setting in and i know from reading posts on this and other forums i am not the only one to feel this way,

Wfp is a good tool but that is all it is another tool for window cleaners to use!

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »
could you not give her a roll of kitchen towel ??

she could do the insides for you  ;D

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

Better hmmm notice the majority of posts looking for help are from wfp operators and not trad!

Popular with wfp operators maybe!

What you have to remember all these problems that wfp spring up were not a problem trad

wfp is good on some houses but they have to be hand picked and you won`t know until you clean them if they are a problem!

You can trad any house!

If i am going to clean a house that i know is not wfp friendly i will trad it not dump them, i built a very compact round and i am not going to ruin it by dumping customers because wfp does not suit the house,

Some days now i just go out and trad other days wfp i like the mix, if i was to wfp every day i would jack window cleaning in as wfp is so boring

I sold my round a few years ago and have it all back and more, when i think back it was because of wfp i just got so fed up with it even though i was doing a good job i just did not enjoy window cleaning anymore i did not feel that way trad, so that`s why now i like to mix it to stop the boredom setting in and i know from reading posts on this and other forums i am not the only one to feel this way,

Wfp is a good tool but that is all it is another tool for window cleaners to use!

That all depends on access to windows. if it unsafe to use ladders on some windows then you have to use WFP.

Matt

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
could you not give her a roll of kitchen towel ??

she could do the insides for you  ;D

Darran

I did mention this funny enough, but she is concerned because of the water sitting on the frame of the opener.

Matt

james44

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »
Can`t you use a trad pole mb?

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 05:29:19 pm »
Can`t you use a trad pole mb?

using a traditional pole on 1st and second floor georgian windows?
yes I can use tradtional gear considering I have been traditional for 14 years and WFP for 18 months.

james44

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
So there you have it the windows are not the problem but wfp is ;D