This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

smearo

rejected water
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:36 pm »
is it ok to fill the kids pool with rejected water from my merlin...
just wondering because i dont want it to affect there skin plus it
saves on my water bill...

Spruce

Re: rejected water
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:26:10 pm »
Hi
Interesting question. The rejected water from the RO would be slightly higher in mineral solids than your water directly from your tap, but I wouldn't think there would be any problem on that side. What I would worry about is that you must have a chlorine removal filter before your membranes so your rejected water will be chlorine free - and the reason why chlorine is added to our water is to kill germs and bacteria. 

I would probably advise against it, better to be safe than sorry - after all, how much will it cost to fill a small kids pool? But I would also say that the water in the pool must be emptied after every use as sunlight destroys the chlorine content added to the water, the reason why we had to add chlorine to our pool overseas every evening. Algae soon started growing in the pool, turning the water green, if there was insufficient chlorine in the water.

I used to direct the reject water onto the garden and the garden thrived, until the neighbours started to complain about their garden being flooded out, so it now goes down the drain.

Spruce

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »
The reject ratio on a merlin is very high, so the tds o the reject water will be only slightly higher than tap water anyway. 

Simon.

Slash

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:25:49 am »
I personally would'nt use it.

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:40:26 pm »
filling up a paddling pool would be fine - tds in some parts of the country top 450 other areas only 50 

therefore tds is not relevent to the cleaniness of the water,  and the waste will have been through the carbon filter so would guess have no chemicals

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

smearo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 04:31:54 pm »
interesting comments guys.. my TDS is 280 from the tap so i am still humming and arring cos i would chuck the water from the pool after every day because of the grass... wee.. food etc the kids put into the pool lol..

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 08:46:56 pm »
If the kids are gonna wee in it, why be bothered.  Water here is around 400 and we shower an bath in it no problems, see what your reject water is on a merlin I doubt it's over 400.

Simon.

Window Washers

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »
If the kids are gonna wee in it, why be bothered.  Water here is around 400 and we shower an bath in it no problems, see what your reject water is on a merlin I doubt it's over 400.

Simon.
reject water all the crap I would not ever put my kids knowing the water was waste water.

So I would IMHO stop trying to save a few pennies, water is not that expensive I am on a meter also, I would guess that no other person knows for a fact on here the results of doing this: so would not listen to any reply giving there opinion to do it as you could well be putting your kids in danger from people not knowing what they are talking about, so you take the risk should you wish to inflict this on your children m8, I would advice against..only you know whats right.

Ian
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

smearo

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »
ian
fair point mate
i not worried at all at the cost.. i was as you pointed out more concerned
as to the well being of my kiddies..

Window Washers

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:16:30 pm »
ian
fair point mate
i not worried at all at the cost.. i was as you pointed out more concerned
as to the well being of my kiddies..
I would not risk it m8,
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 08:19:02 am »
I'd be happier with my son swimming in a swimming pool of reject ro water than either going to the sea to swim or going to the local swimming pool. I let him do both. But better safe than sorry hey.

jarvy

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 02:24:08 pm »
I am putting mine into a water butt now,for watering the garden,at least getting some use for it rather than watch it flowing into the drain!
www.wedgwoodcleaning.co.uk

"If you were twice as smart, you'd still be stupid"