This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mickeybok

Tough going
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »
Been in biz for 10 weeks now, canvasing as often as poss, got 57 custys at moment. Been caught out a few times though, by charging normal prices for filthy first cleans then the custy says they will call me when they need them done next time, really annoying.
I also have a few that I think I have underpriced and take a lot longer than I thought, so I am trying to learn from mistakes but always worried when I quote a new job that they might think I'm asking too much and wont get the job.
Also been caught in the bad weather, got drenched a couple of weeks ago so had to clean the next day, so wondering what will happen when I have a full round and get behind.
Lots of problems that you dont realise before you get started, but enjoying the work at the moment, dont know if I will be saying that when we get to the winter though.
Canvasing can be a bit soul destroying but you never know what will come next, took 5 hours to get my first customer then 20 minutes to get the next two.
Does all this sound familiar?
Also wondering, when and if I get to a couple of hundred customers should I be looking to go WFP system?

LWC

Re: Tough going
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 02:23:54 pm »
Stick with it, you things you are talking about is why people dont stick at it. It will all come, just give it time, do a good job, be reliable and friendly thats all you can do bud.

WFP is good and quicker but also comes with its fair share of probs plus the extra expence and cusomters whinging. Keep on as you are for now and see what you feel like in few months.

Tom White

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »
You'll find some bad customers when you first start; they're the rejects from other established window cleaners.  Just ensure you have good communication about your frequency BEFORE you clean.

Why don't you explain to new customers that you've had a few new customers who you feel have been unfair with you since you've grafted to clean filthy windows, and they've then tried to change the agreed terms and conditions.

Take the time to do this sort of thing before cleaning, and it'll save you lots of grief.

I once nearly came to blows when I was tired and grumpy knickers when this happened to me.  :-[

Oh, and starting from scratch is hard work; that's why so many start, then jack it all in.

andyM

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »
I've got to agree with Tosh on this one. When starting from scratch odds are you are going to come across some customers who are not ideal for building a regular round.
You will learn to tell which customers are for keeps are which ones are not as you go on.
Beware of the filthy ones which obviously haven't been cleaned for ages amongst other houses that look like they are cleaned regularly. This isn't set in stone, but just make sure you price it accordingly and expect that they probably won't want it done regularly (if they do thats a bonus).
One-off cleans can be worthwhile but just make sure you charge enough for them.     
Price accordingly for first cleans, (normal rate + 25%,50% or even 100%) it depends on how long it will take you and what you reckon the job is worth.
Then tell them the price for a regular clean after that, most people are reasonable and understand why you charge more to do a first clean.
Don't fall for the old chestnut "the old window cleaner only used to charge £££(half of what you quoted), some will tell you this. Quote a reasonable price for what you think its worth and stick to it, and never ask what the last window cleaner was charging.

One of the Plebs

Tom White

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

Don't fall for the old chestnut "the old window cleaner only used to charge £££(half of what you quoted), some will tell you this. Quote a reasonable price for what you think its worth and stick to it, and never ask what the last window cleaner was charging.

Definitely.  Also ask what happened to the 'old window cleaner'.  Did he just stop turning up?  Could it be that the customer was a pain, or/and he under priced?

If you get any bad vibes, try talking to the customer and give them a brief interview before you decide to grace their property with your business.

I recently passed a nice property onto Squeaks because I got 'bad vibes' from the lady concerned.  I told her point blank that I didn't want her custom, but would help her find another window cleaner, and I gave Squeaky her phone number, with a warning of what had happened between us.

Squeaky, last he spoke of this customer, said she was messing him about with regards to when he should clean her property, but I don't know what the final outcome was.

Joe Lauzon

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:54:29 pm »
I always ask what he was charging.  " wow, I guess he is out of business is he?  I can't compete with that." ;)  I also find out why the previous WC is no longer around, thats my opening line as a rule.  

You can almost always go in a couple of pounds higher with no problem.  Had a shock the other day £20 for a standard 4 bed detached, no frills on a monthly clean.  I just said thats sounds reasonable, and went with that price.  I would of quoted at £15, and thats quite dear where I am.

The way I see it business is business.  You have to be a little hard to compensate for the times customers are hard/unfair with you.