Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

spots and runs......!!!
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:20:37 pm »
ive noticed the odd run right down the glass below and inbetween two small openers ruining my clean!should i try my best to avoid getting water in between the openers?

also ive noticed the odd window that looks like ive splashed something right in the middle of the window!looks awful!! ::) ::)

....and spotting at the top of some windows

these are all first cleans and its been hard slog this week trying to get them right!

some are fantastic and others pretty bad!im reluctant to go back and reclean as theyve all took a lot longer than if i had  tradded them and i would of walked away KNOWING the glass was clean!!

i can understand why some window cleaners go back to trad.ill stick it for 3 months and if im not happy and up to speed i will revert back.

regards

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

Re: spots and runs......!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:30:28 pm »
Yep,  everything you are doing is basically a 1st clean - no matter how well they were done trad
the pure water gets into the smallest of cracks and cleans out the dirt.

quite often you get a run from the openers - this is water working its way out - basically you need to be rincing more to keep flushing the rubbish out

if this is happening you are almost guarenteed a dirty line, so either rince more or on these windows blade off or wipe over - they will be fine from the 2nd clean

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

james44

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:30:59 pm »
ive noticed the odd run right down the glass below and inbetween two small openers ruining my clean!should i try my best to avoid getting water in between the openers?

Turn of water flow and run wet brush along the bottoms of the openers this helps to reduce runs!

james44

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:38 pm »
and spotting at the top of some windows

Dazmond blade them! honestly mate it can take a couple of cleans for everything to come out of the frames! so why not just blade them until they do, that way you will leave the house knowing the glass is clean!

mci services

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »
with the openers i clean one then drop the brush avoiding the gap then clean the second one then do the main glass, sometimes i will go do the next window or door before doing the main glass below the openers

tom2009

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:36:28 pm »
It seems that you can rinse like hell and some windows still run - surely at some point it'll be poss to relax a bit with wfp? hope so anyway :-\

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:41:32 pm »
tom -   wfp -  2nd clean onwards is relaxing !

it's like most things - set it up well, start right and the rest comes reasonably easy.

Daz has more problems than most to cope with,    everything is a first clean,  he is learning how to use WFP ( that along will take a few weeks until he is happy with equipment and technique ) and coping with established custy's while doing this change over.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

tom2009

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:26 pm »
I'm sure you're right Darren, most are fine but some seem to take longer to get all the muck out. Big old rubber seals mainly, manky tings.

chopsie

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:12 pm »
I am getting as though I have had enough of it, Get spots and/or runs, Use more water to rinse but still not what I would call perfect, In the sun they dry quicker so I could go back and see the results and was not impressed with a few  ??? Use more water trying to rinse more, take extra time = less work done and more water used= run out of water=less work done  >:( Thinking of trying my luck trad. On top of that its constant spending, I need a booster pump and could do with getting a bag of resin plus some swivels  etc etc etc  :-\ :'(
chopsie

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 10:56:43 pm »
you n me both chopsie lad i was quick trad but wfp is 1 long long headache
resin 80 quid a bag swivels fiver + vat want brass connectors for my di s lol all money
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

tom2009

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »
I am getting as though I have had enough of it, Get spots and/or runs, Use more water to rinse but still not what I would call perfect, In the sun they dry quicker so I could go back and see the results and was not impressed with a few  ??? Use more water trying to rinse more, take extra time = less work done and more water used= run out of water=less work done  >:( Thinking of trying my luck trad. On top of that its constant spending, I need a booster pump and could do with getting a bag of resin plus some swivels  etc etc etc  :-\ :'(
I know where yer comin from chopsie :-\

John Walker

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 11:03:53 pm »
With regard to trad, I've taken over where trads have left off and to be honest I don't know why the customer had kept them on.  A lot had the corners missed or runs near the top plus general smearing.  the frames are a disgrace!    I was in Canterbury High Street this morning and there were around 6 (scruffy) guys all competing.  Once again, on close inspection there were dirty runs at the top of many of the windows.  Far worse than even badly done WFP would have been.  I bet they've only got the work because they're dirt cheap.

I guess a lot of the trad guys on here are perfectionists but the point I'm making is that non-professional trad can leave just as many problems as non professional WFP - it's just a matter of mastering a new technique.

Stick with it Daz - I'm totally WFP and in nearly 7 years have yet to lose a customer - apart from the inconsiderate ones who've gone and died or moved house.
BaxWalker Window Cleaning

chopsie

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:06:07 pm »
Its never ending spending is it  ::) and at the end of it the results are iffy at best. bloody game! I will be bankrupt before I have started at this rate, and now I read the tax man will be coming for a big lump in a year or so.......I have barely got enough to live on,No way can I save any for that at moment. Better off signing on and window cleaning on the side. :)
chopsie

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:23 pm »
chopsie it doesnt sound like your enjoying it!

your whole attitude doesnt seem very positive when i read your posts.

did you have a good solid customer base before you went wfp?or are you struggling to earn enough to justify using wfp?

ive accepted now that this transitional period is going to be tough for a few weeks now as im converting 300 custys to wfp and the rest im keeping trad(granny flats and a few houses with balconies).

but im not one to shirk away from hard work!it should be easier for you now chopsie!! ;) ;D ;D

best wishes

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

Tom White

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »
with the openers i clean one then drop the brush avoiding the gap then clean the second one then do the main glass, sometimes i will go do the next window or door before doing the main glass below the openers

That's the way to do them.  Don't blade them, Daz.

Look, for first cleans (and all yours are first cleans) since pure water 'reacts' strongly with soap, the residue left from your trad days, and little bits of dirt can be a pain in the ass.

So, I always give each window, frame and all a quick but thorough wash (there's no need to rinse at this point).  Do three or four of them that are close together.

Then go back to the first window and wash again, glass only, and rinse, glass only.

Be precise with your washing and rinsing, don't go splashing water everywhere and your windows will come up great.

On the next clean you don't have to do this 'twice thing'.  It's the method I use, and it works.

Also, don't wet the area between two top openers otherwise you'll get what's known as the 'classic dribble' down the centre of the pane of glass below it.

chopsie

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:28 pm »
No I never had much of a customer base when I started, Only got early 160's now. I was ok,but lately seem a bit deflated by it all, money is running low and keep having to spend spend spend, Was on a high few weeks ago, customers coming in through recommendations or seeing me out etc, Battery died on van yesterday so that did not help also. Hopefully It will come together again soon, I will just have to stop looking to hard at the windows  :)
chopsie

Gav Camm lammy 283

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 11:17:25 pm »
No I never had much of a customer base when I started, Only got early 160's now. I was ok,but lately seem a bit deflated by it all, money is running low and keep having to spend spend spend, Was on a high few weeks ago, customers coming in through recommendations or seeing me out etc, Battery died on van yesterday so that did not help also. Hopefully It will come together again soon, I will just have to stop looking to hard at the windows  :)
or wear shades lol ;D ;D ;D
LET YOUR PANES BE MY PLEASURE

"If CALSBERG did WINDOW CLEANING
 it would be C.C.C  Probably the best WINDOW CLEANERS IN THE WORLD ..........."

LQQK

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:21:53 pm »
Be sure to avoid running the brush over the top section of the top bar of the openers. Otherwise water will run down behind the opener onto the glass below. Simples.

chopsie

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:22:20 pm »
 or wear shades lol ;D ;D ;D
I am a four eyes mate, I will just take me glasses off, Then they will all look ok  ;D
chopsie

mci services

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:25:37 pm »

That's the way to do them.  Don't blade them, Daz.

Look, for first cleans (and all yours are first cleans) since pure water 'reacts' strongly with soap, the residue left from your trad days, and little bits of dirt can be a pain in the ass.

So, I always give each window, frame and all a quick but thorough wash (there's no need to rinse at this point).  Do three or four of them that are close together.

Then go back to the first window and wash again, glass only, and rinse, glass only.

Be precise with your washing and rinsing, don't go splashing water everywhere and your windows will come up great.

On the next clean you don't have to do this 'twice thing'.  It's the method I use, and it works.

Also, don't wet the area between two top openers otherwise you'll get what's known as the 'classic dribble' down the centre of the pane of glass below it.

yep thats what i meant only tosh explained it better