Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Sseddon

Bad 1st day
« on: June 17, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »
Today was my 1st day as a wc. I am pretty deflated to be honest. I only had 3 houses. The first one was an aquaintance who told me his last wc charged him £12. I said without checking the house first that I'd do it for the same as it was only a 3 bed. But it was a huge 3 bed. With my keeness to do a good job and the amount of windoews, plus the awkward to get at ones, plus the really rubbish fitting on the pole tap coming off twice it took ma an hour... for £12!!!

The second house I priced the same. Much easier, but there was a bird poo stain on a downstairs window that would not come off with scrubbing after wfp. Then when I said I'd be back in 4 weeks she seemed surprised and asked if windows needed cleaning in the winter.

The third house was huge. At least 5 bedrooms. I agreed £20 to do it, but I assumed it was 4 weekly. It was my first job picked up so I underquoted and ASSUMED! I didn't check too closely then, but on inspection today they were filthy. I'd say not cleaned for years. When I mentioned every 4 weeks today, this was clearly not what she expected. I said I'd quoted on that basis, but obviously it was my fault for getting too excited about my 1st job and not sorting things properly. I reckon next time I'd do it in 35-40 minutes, so the price isn't to bad, but it took me over an hour today and in all likelihood I won't be going back.

I learned some lessons.

Don't give a price without an inspection.
No one is to be trusted even if they seem a mate.
Properly seal the deal.. ]
Charge more for a first clean.

On top of the above, I was dead nervous and it showed. The second customer asked if it was a new business,

drevitt

Re: Bad 1st day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 05:26:48 pm »
stick with it, i earned £50 for my first day a few years back but you soon get up to speed, you will soon be rattling that off then stopping for lunch and then doing the same in the afternoon and still be home for the second half of the 3pm world cup games, let your new customers know that with wfp it will take 2-3 cleans to really get them spotless and they might have a few watermark spots at first, also its a bitch doing first cleans in bright sun, if bird poo wont come off soak it first for a few mins then go back and it should come off. i still underprice some jobs but dont mind as they are nice people. the main advice is stick with it and do a good job and they a. wont change you and b. will recommend you to neighbours and family/friends.
good luck and tomorrow you will prob have a totally different and good day!  8)

Sseddon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »
Thank you Drevitt. The bird poo was off, but it left a residual mark on the window. The 2-3 cleans advice is welcome and will be standard spiel from now on. It's annoying. I worked hard, but after I left I really didn't know if I'd done a good job.

Darranvps

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:29 pm »
Perhaps you should have worked for a window cleaner first who has lots of experience - to pass on :o
This way when you start on your own you will earn a good living - once you have customers.

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »
You only learn from your mistakes
Darren
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

Sseddon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32:08 pm »
Perhaps you should have worked for a window cleaner first who has lots of experience - to pass on :o
This way when you start on your own you will earn a good living - once you have customers.

I have, but not for 30 years. My dad was a window cleaner and so was his dad. I will just learn from my mistakes. I will only make them once.

Sseddon

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:33:25 pm »

sherco

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:37:41 pm »
If you under price a job don't rush it, do it the best you can and learn by your mistakes.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

cleewindows

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:09:53 pm »
thought you had sold up mate???
stick with it, i earned £50 for my first day a few years back but you soon get up to speed, you will soon be rattling that off then stopping for lunch and then doing the same in the afternoon and still be home for the second half of the 3pm world cup games, let your new customers know that with wfp it will take 2-3 cleans to really get them spotless and they might have a few watermark spots at first, also its a bitch doing first cleans in bright sun, if bird poo wont come off soak it first for a few mins then go back and it should come off. i still underprice some jobs but dont mind as they are nice people. the main advice is stick with it and do a good job and they a. wont change you and b. will recommend you to neighbours and family/friends.
good luck and tomorrow you will prob have a totally different and good day!  8)

Smudger

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:06 pm »
Steve,  well done on completing your first day!

dont feel deflated - you have learnt a lot in a very short time, and in the end this will make you a better businessman

its good you have identified these mistakes early on and are taking actions to prevent them happening again.

this forum have some great advice,   keep going and good luck.

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »
I'm quite impressed steve.Those times are okay, and the customers catch me like that all the time.They want something for nothing.As you say if they haven't been cleaned in years it's unlikely you will keep them. They start minging, but by clean three they start finding fault, as if their windows have been immaculate always and sack you.

I don't think it was a bad first day.It's just a tough game.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:22 pm »
HI Steve hang in Mate it will get better I still get caught every so often so don’t feel bad. Its education money are  paying it will not be long before you will have heard it all. I don’t think most custies want to screw us they just have a very simplified view of what we do for a living. But that is why we clean window and they pay if they could do it and they were not lazy they would find out its not easy.